Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 438 Posts

3DRealms shuts down!

3DRealms has shut down, just yesterday!

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1127

Creators of classics like Hocus Pocus, Boppin', Raptor, Rise of the Triad, Commander Keen, Whacky Wheels, Terminal Velocity, Balls of Steel and Duke Nukem...
    They were legends of the gaming history, and now they're gone... It's a sad day.
    Last edited by Serpian; May 9th, 2009 at 01:41 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I guess taking over twelve years to develop your flagship property isn't the best business model after all.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ...so will Duke Nukem Forever ever be finished...?

EDIT: CHAIN REACTION PROVING GROUNDS CRITICAL MASS CHAIN REACTION PROVING GROUNDS CRITICAL MASS CHAIN REACTION PROVING GROUNDS CRITICAL MASS CHAIN REACTION PROVING GROUNDS CRITICAL MASS CHAIN REACTION PROVING GROUNDS CRITICAL MASS CHAIN REACTION PROVING GROUNDS CRITICAL MASS

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Chow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    I love how ironic the name Duke Nukem Forever is.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    It's pretty sad, but not even remotely surprising. Usually you need to actually make games in order to stay in business. The "independent funding" can only last for so long, no matter how much of it you have.

Still....for an old school gamer like me, it sort of feels like someone just put to sleep the oldest dog in the pound. Sure, he's ugly, useless, and is basically only any good at eating all of the food....but he's just been there so long, you still love him and it's hard to finally put him down.

RIP 3DR.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gotta be honest tho, duke nukem forever didn't look that impressive from what I saw. I doubt it would have all the black comedy, pop culture references and chauvenistic overtones that made me like duke nukem 3d
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    "what have you done for me lately" -janet jackson

honestly, they WERE great back in the day but I never actually believed "forever" was coming out. the name is a joke in itself, and a very true one.

i grew out of duke nukem very early, but terminal velocity was probably my favorite, great game.

back to DN:F - did it seem like a ruse to get investors to anyone else? there was never really much content talked about, just enough to fill press releases.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Duke nukem 3d was soooooo awesome in it's day. I logged quite a lot of hours into that game.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    I still have a magazine that I kept from 1997 that has duke nukem forever on the cover, and had it listed as "coming soon". It looked awesome, and the trailer from E3 around then was incredible at the time. It's still held up pretty decently to this day. Shame that was the last gameplay they ever released... I wonder if anyone's actually surprised that they're shutting their doors.

Maybe duke nukem forever will actually pass hands and get released now, and maybe people will even forgive and forget all about the ridiculously long production, like what happened with Team Fortress 2.

Thanks
    sad! damn, i will realy miss duke nukem forever coming up every once in a while as a topic of conversation late at night after some beers or a bottle of wine. it was good to know that somewhere in probably the coolest office on earth they are still working on it. not bothering about deadlines, two strippers for every cubicle, just doing there thing. i didn't expected things to change so suddenly.
    in the first five years everybody thought they couldn't make it very long, but then after ten years if felt kinda like it's always gonna be this way.

fuck it. i still believe they're working on it.

Thanks
    DN:F + Valve = Win?
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanE View Post
    DN:F + Valve = Win?
    Don't even think about it bud.

Thanks
    Well, at least they made some kind of move...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    I love how ironic the name Duke Nukem Forever is.
    What about the game's initials, "DNF"?

Thanks
    I never played Duke Nukem but I enjoyed Hocus Pocus and Raptor when I was wee. I kind of want to play HP right now, but I played Raptor recently and it was not as awesome as I remembered.

And how could I forget Monster Bash! Oh the childhood memories...
    Last edited by Ashtonw; May 7th, 2009 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks
    That's too bad. When Apogee/3D Realms made games back in the late 80's and early 90's I would get very excited when their latest demos came out, and I would download them and play them. I ended up purchasing most of their titles. My favorites were the Commander Keen, Halloween Harry (renamed Alien Carnage), Duke Nukem II and Monster Bash. They made the most fun and varied games in their heyday.

I'm not too sad about DNF...it probably wouldn't have been as fun as the originals and there are like millions of FPS games out there anyway. Probably would have been another Daikatana.
    -Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    wow havent heard that name in a while. yeah i agree thats sad. they were one of our first clients.

c36

24. The Following User Says Thank You to el coro For This Useful Post:

chriskot is offline non-dishwasher safe, keep away from open flame
    Thanks
    I never got into Duke Nukem, but Raptor and the Commander Keen games used to be some of my favourites.

I'll miss being able to make fun of Duke Nukem Forever's development period. It's pretty funny when you realize just how much has happened since it was announced.

Thanks
    That's what happens when high level editorial... forget it.

Thanks
    That's sad. Duke Nukem 3D was on of the first FPS I played (Even before Doom), before that it was all Prince of Persia and Dig Dugg.

Still, their little tactic didn't work out on Forever. Only Blizzard seems to be able to pull that stunt.

My bet is either Bethesda gets a hold of it and releases DKF next year, or it becomes open source code and it ends up as a fan project.
    "Time heals everything, except the waste of Time itself..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 438 Posts
    Wacky Wheels!! Was it the greatest? It might be! Coro, what did you do for them?

Thanks
    he danced.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    @Serpian: i bet mb have been working on JUST THAT title (or maybe prey?).

Sad to hear that 3d realms is gone now, but lets face it, it was just a matter of time.. at least that duke nukem forever development struggle is finally over.

they could have realeased the title (according to an interview it was about 90% done) as episodic content like the half life episodes -hell, they could have released the version built on the quake 2 engine if they'd just stuck with it and released a sequel based on another engine later.

In the end it comes down to gameplay. its not about the graphics or the physics or whatever. fans wouldnt have cared if the game looks dated- they'd have bought it anyway.

it's bad planning and goals that were set too high that killed 3d realms.. lets just hope that one of the game studios they collaborated with (monolith for instance) picks up the title, finsihes it and realeases it.

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    This is for the best.

I had this theory that if they released it in the same year as the Guns'n'Roses album it might be a sign of The Apocalypse or something.

Thanks
    I'm pretty sad about this news, I really wanted to play Duke Forever at some point in my life. The 2001 trailer looked very promising, much more then what I've seen over the past year, they should've sticked it out back then.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    apogee is still around. the thread title is incorrect. 3d realms is done. apogee is still publishing games. We worked on one a while back and 3d realms was one of our first clients, as coro said. From those concepts I can say that there was definitely some of that rotten humor. Coro was stoked when he saw what the first concept was to be. hahaha ...nox did some killer ships and rich doble got his start in games on that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I noticed a sheet of sniper/railgun and railgun thumbnails in the conceptart thats being released that look a lot like its been fungineered by coro. ^^

It's a shame that this had to happen, call me delusional but after all this time i was still rooting for them. I have very fond memories of duke3d.

Thanks
    haha yeah your right slash.

http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/04/9...ceptArt-24.jpg

Tis a shame to see another studio bite the dust :/. But alas new one will rise up that are even better.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    apogee is still around. the thread title is incorrect. 3d realms is done. apogee is still publishing games. We worked on one a while back and 3d realms was one of our first clients, as coro said.

That is a bit confusing to me. I looked up Apogee in Wikipedia and here is what it says:

While the company was known as "3D Realms", the legal name of the company was Apogee Software, Ltd.. The name "3D Realms" was initially created as a branding label in July 1994 for use by Apogee which would be dedicated to just 3D games (as Apogee was then known for several styles of games). However, shortly after this, 3D games started to dominate the industry, and Apogee decided to direct their focus on this style of game, and as such, the Apogee name was eventually abandoned as a public marketing name in late 1996. In July 2008, however, they announced that the brand Apogee Software would be revived with new games, but licensed to an external company, Apogee Software, LLC. 3D Realms was shut down on May 6, 2009 due to lack of funding.
    Basically, the original Apogee became 3D Realms, but then they later made a new company also named Apogee. So, yes, Apogee is still around but it's not the same.

I wonder if they had put their focus on the Commander Keen franchise instead of Duke Nukem, they would have went over big because platformers are still big today especially on Gameboys. That series was brilliant.
    -Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast