Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Speculars, radiosity, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts

Speculars, radiosity, etc.

I'm slowly slowly reworking my tutorial. Here's some 'illustrations' (eherrm) mainly on skintones (as I like them). There's gonna be some text to go along with it too, but perhaps it's pretty self explainatory?

Speculars, radiosity, etc.

[edit]image broken, please view prom's website @ http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm[/edit]
    Last edited by davi; August 10th, 2007 at 08:56 AM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is very neat! I've never seen an expalination/ description of these aspects of color. I'm really excited to see the whole thing when it's done. Most of it does seem well explained already, though some of the writing is rough to read.

Thanks
    Thanks for the tutorials, very helpful! I like the one in your sig too. Hopefully we will see more tutorials from you!

Thanks
    real nice tutorial!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 254 Posts
    way to go prom :]
    you should include a reference for people to try to paint and learn from. It's really hard for someone to learn these tips without absolute focus on them.

Thanks
    hey, is this for the tutorial in the works you told me about in irc?

that's going to be really great, judging from what you get across with just a few illos.

thanks man, for all the work you put into this

Thanks
    Yeah I should snap some photos I guess. I dun wanna violate any copyrights. I could provide just urls though.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    cool prom, thanks.
    one crit tho would have to be "the eye has a very limited value range" its actually the other way around, our mediums (or media) have a very limited value range, and cannot produce exactly what the eyes see, that's why its usually split up into ten or less. etc etc etc etc etc..

anyway, good job, its very simple and colorful!

Thanks
    stephen: i think what prom is referring to is the kind of "auto-calibration" the human eye has, always picking a spectrum width that provides the best level of information.

if you are focussing on seeing detail in the sky (in proms small example), you will see brightly lit clouds, you'll roughly see where the sun is located etcetera... but you won't notice any detail of the tree, since its values are a good bit too low for the chosen calibration. if you focus on the tree, you'll lose detail of the sky, as the whole sky is a good bit too bright for values that fit into the value spectrum of the tree.

basically, this is a mind thing, not an eye thing.

Thanks
    Yeah, the brain does a lot of things with the image from the eyes before our 'awareness' recieves it.
    It sets white balance by using surfaces that are assumed to be white. It sets exposure levels for individual objects, producing a false image with local colors and values everywhere. It also unwraps planes and surfaces in pespective, making them flat.
    This makes it difficult for us artists since we have to backwards engineer whatever the brain does. Kids often draw stuff unwrapped, and always draw stuff in their local color.
    Some artists go back to drawing stuff as the brain wants us to see them, like wierd picasso perspective, or impressionistic dazzling colors and values.

I heard somewhere that we can only read/see/concentrate on a spot the size of a thumb an arm length away. The rest of the image is blury and perhaps under the command of a more instinctive the part of the brain that just scans for moving stuff or familiar shapes. The brain can also fill in details we assume are there, like near the blind spot or at the edge of the image.
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; December 23rd, 2003 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks
    i lub you prom

#k

Thanks
    A guess that this is the best place to post this.

Prom, your previous text tutorials are worth a lot to me. After reading those and a few things prior to that I have been much more aware of the world around me.

I have a feeling that I was following the right path, but then I saw your tutorial and a handful of other things that really opened my eyes to the world of color.

For instance I knew about radiosity, but never implemented it very well in my artwork because I never really observed it that closely in the real world.

Nowadays, it is much different for me.
    I look at everthing. I try to see as much as I can at any given point with the hopes of catching something new that I never knew before.

Strange enough. I do a lot of photography and if you look at my last two years worth of photos you'll notice a dramatic improvement. I now focus a lot more. I try to take what I see through the lens and apply it to my art work.

Not to get too mushy....

Just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work.

Phil

Thanks
    Thank you for this. It is self explanatory and makes me want more pictures and diagrams, no need for text. the captions are enough. You obviously know what it's about and I await the day that I understand as much.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast