Thanks

Anyone own a netbook?

So first of all, before anyone asks...no I don't plan on using one for art, except for maybe looking up reference photos at work.

My trusty laptop that goes with my everywhere is slowly dying, and considering I've had it for about 5 or 6 years, it's time for me to start thinking about a replacement. I purchased the lightest, smallest model I could afford at the time (~11 in x 9 in), and considering it's only got a 1.8 GHz cpu, and 256 MB RAM...well lets just say a netbook doesn't seem like much of a downgrade, especially considering they have more RAM, HD space, and battery life than my current laptop. I know that I could get a larger laptop for only about $100 more, but then portability becomes an issue. (Plus I'd rather spend that $100 on something else.)

I've read reviews, but really more interested in personal experience vs. brand comparisons. Plus I know there are some tech savy people lurking around in here. ~_^ If you have one...what do you think of it? Anything specifically to look for, or reason to wait?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm on an Asus EEE 901 right now and it's great! It's really light, portable and the battery lasts forever. The keyboard is no problem at all to me, I can type on it just as fast as a full sized one, it barely took any time at all to get used to it. The screen is fine too. The only thing I would like is if the hard drives were a little bigger.

Feel free to ask me anything about it and i'll try and answer!

Thanks
    I haven't owned one but I went through a phase where I wanted to purchase one and the overall majority vote was that you cannot go wrong with an Asus EEE. They are cheap, fast, and comes under a well respected brand name although Asus's tech support is lousy if you do happen to come across a problem.

Thanks
    I have a company IBM T61

I would never want to give it back or buy one myself.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Eh harddrive space isn't really an issue for me...I'm used to only having 40-60 Gigs. XD

- Any durability issues? I don't purposefully throw my electronics around, but sometimes my bag slides off the passenger seat while driving, etc.
    - Also, how warm do they get? The models at one of the local stores don't seem to really put off much heat, but they also have them on little elevated feet.

Thanks
    I don't own a netbook but the Asus EEE pc seem sto be a really good netbook along with the Dell Mini. The funny thing about netbooks is, the average computer user doesn't need anything more than the functionality of a netbook. But being digital artists, we don't really fall into that category.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphotic Phoenix View Post
    Eh harddrive space isn't really an issue for me...I'm used to only having 40-60 Gigs. XD

- Any durability issues? I don't purposefully throw my electronics around, but sometimes my bag slides off the passenger seat while driving, etc.
    - Also, how warm do they get? The models at one of the local stores don't seem to really put off much heat, but they also have them on little elevated feet.
    Mines fallen off my bed before which is like 3 feet off the ground, onto the carpet, open and turned on, and been completely fine after, not a scratch. I'de say they're pretty solid

They don't get very hot at all, certainly not like a regular laptop, they can get a bit warm sometimes though

One thing you should know though, I don't know if they've changed it for newer models, but the way mine works is that there are 2 hard drives, the one with windows installed is only 3.7 gig, and the storage drive is around 7.5 gig. I dunno why they split it and had the windows drive be so tiny but it's not the end of the world, just a little inconvenient sometimes. I'de recommend buying an external hard drive, even if you wouldn't take it around with you. They're pretty cheap, and useful just to store music and non-urgent files and things on to save eee space

Thanks
    I have an Asus Eee too, the 10' one. I love the little guy. He chugs a bit when I'm using it to paint but I only use it for quick stuff and keep the file size small and it's fine. Color on the screen could be better. And it has kind of a sticky power button so it likes to occasionally shut itself off, but that hasn't happened since I noticed and wiggle the button a bit. But overall it's amazingly portable and light. Great for quick reference finding!

Thanks
    Asus Eeepc 1000HE, got it free tho, would be a waste of money to buy it IMO but it is really cheap and if you love blogging and twittering (personally I hate twitter) the Asus Eeepc would really suffice.

Thanks
    I bought a EEE 1000HEB this weekend from Best Buy, primarily to use it for recording music. I tried it with Reaper installed and it is able to edit 8 tracks in real time. I drew some with Sketchbook Pro and my tiny Bamboo tablet and it works great.

I may start taking this to sketch sessions as it's about the size of a hardcover book. It's got a claimed battery life of 7 hours, but it's more like 5, so I don't have to lug around power supply and it's boots up in about 10 seconds. About 5 from hibernation. This thing kicks ass. I love it.

Taking a bit of practice to get used to this keyboard tho.

Thanks
    I have the HP mini 1000. has the standard intel atom and intel gma 950 graphics. full size keyboard.

ive come to the conclusion that a 10 inch screen is just to small for me. thankfully they are not that expensive so its not a huge deal. In the end I got a feeling it will end up being sold. Netbook is not for me I guess. Unless apple makes one. then we will see.

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Hopefully I won't need to replace this computer for another 6 months to a year, but it's always good to have a plan in case something goes wrong.

Friend of mine bought a Dell netbook a day or so after I made this post, and after playing with that I think I'll definitely go with an Asus EEE when the time comes.