Thanks

X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Spoilers

I just saw this. It had some cool parts, it also had some pretty dumb parts. Some good action scenes, cool cameos: Cyclops, Professor X, some laughs, some okay dramatic scenes. but,
    Adamantium bullets... wack and unnecessary. The Baraka wannabe at the end... wack, covering up his mouth was stupid because he was already mindcontrolled, coming back to life at the end like a b-horror movie monster was super stupid, and how could he keep those big ass swords in his arms? I also didn't understand most of the characters motivations, seems like Silverfox, or whatever her name was, could have let Wolverine know about Striker's plan and then they could have gone and rescued her sister together. They didn't need Wolverine for the adamantium experiment since Sabertooth was willing to do it, saying Sabertooth couldn't handle it is a lame excuse, Deathstrike in X2 contradicts that further. Sabertooth was way too small, wolverine was about 3 inches taller.
    Your thoughts?
    Last edited by armando; May 6th, 2009 at 02:03 AM. Reason: fixed title

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    ok,fun,slightly campy,had a good time.
    kinda disappointed with deadpool/weaponXI, it was just too much (all those mutant powers,and i laughed so hard when his head kept firing after being cut off). i quite liked sabretooth,i mean he was less beastlike in some way,but ferocious nevertheless (if that makes sense).
    stryker's team was pretty fun to watch (especially wilson,didn't think the actor'd pull him off),gambit could have had more screentime,was pretty badass to see him throw those cards though.
    you're actually bringing up some pretty good points.....though i thought the adamantium bullets were an adequate explanation for the memory loss,even if it's hardly believable.
    for my part they coulda left out cyclops and especially prof.x. i really laughed when i "recognised" the blob though.
    all in all i left with mixed feelings. didn't see that "coming back to life" either,but eh. lose some of those powers,go back to being a sword weilding maniac...it's funnier.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I didn't have a horrible time with it, or felt like my money was wasted. I enjoyed it knowing a hell of a lot better than the 1st and 3rd Xmen movies. Agreed Deadpool was kinda bleh in his handling but no less worse than what happened with Rogue's character in the movies. It was a nice way to sneak in Gambit though...yeah he could be in more.

Some people complained about the pacing but I really didn't feel it. I felt it more in the Dark Knight where I felt "impatient".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    i thought the adamantium bullets were an adequate explanation for the memory loss,even if it's hardly believable.
    In the comic they just say when he goes through a really traumatic experience his healing factor erases it from his memory, that's good enough for me. It pisses me off knowing he has four holes in his head, and probably shrapnel in his brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Agreed Deadpool was kinda bleh in his handling but no less worse than what happened with Rogue's character in the movies. It was a nice way to sneak in Gambit though...yeah he could be in more.

Some people complained about the pacing but I really didn't feel it. I felt it more in the Dark Knight where I felt "impatient".
    I thought the Rogue character was pretty close to the comic, but I'm just a Rogue mark. Gambit was good, also agree that he could have gotten more screen time. I thought The Dark Knight was close to perfect, only slight blotch is Maggie Gillenhal and she didn't bother me that much.

Thanks
    Main complaint is that I don't think they did Wade Wilson/Deadpool justice, hence my posting of a million excerpts from deadpool comics in the cheer me up thread. Though I hear they might make a spin off with him. But I digress. Perhaps I should be spending my time thinking about friends and girls
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    armando - ah,yes. people would probably have gone "wtf,that's stupid" though,had it been that easy. (i mean,it does erase his gf from memory).
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    I thought the Rogue character was pretty close to the comic, but I'm just a Rogue mark. Gambit was good, also agree that he could have gotten more screen time. I thought The Dark Knight was close to perfect, only slight blotch is Maggie Gillenhal and she didn't bother me that much.
    Rogue is a spunky Southern gal, at least when Claremont handled her. Even though he originally created her to be a villain and her look softened from 2 stripes to one skunk stripe. So I never saw this Rogue like Claremont's character at all. I mean she did kiss Northstar and kept all his secrets and was pretty funny about it (so yeah I know my Rogue stuff). She could hold her own and wasn't so weak and indecisive like in the movie. I mean Marvel vs Capcom handled Rogue better than the movie!

Covering up Deadpool's mouth though I didn't like it pointed back to Stryker's remark about him being the perfect soldier if he didn't talk so much. It makes sense Stryker would be that vindictive in the sake of creating his "perfect" soldier....in other words "Stryker's a dick, like Superman"

Some people thought Gambit wasn't Cajun enough (his accent), but I think overdone accents work in comics, become stereotypically annoying on screen.

Thanks
    Yah was deffinitley lame imo. They ruined Deadpool and sabertooth. They also added alot of stupid mutants that could have been replaced with much better choices. Wraith, Emma frost, Blob? Are you kidding me? It wasnt as bad as xmen3 but i mean cmon. It seems like the writers have no common sense about who wolverine is and what the stories all about

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    when Deadpool's head continued to fire as it fell, i was like "thats all well and good, but wouldnt it be toppling and turning end over end, and firing in a completely random and chaotic way..?" the trail was as if they had suspended the head on a string and lowered it at a controlled spin, eliminating 2 axis of rotation.. minor point but meh

i liked sabertooth's treatment, i was fully drawn into the idea that this character had some deep seeded, animalistic aggression. i wasnt okay with them kissing and making up at the end as if it were nothing - "nobody kills you except for me.." *runs away*

all in all, i would have liked to have seen a darker take on wolverine's character, i wanted some dark knight crap, you know? i wanted to see some grit, i wasnt okay with the speed at which they got up to present day (opening credits and it was over), i wanted to see more of his growth from boyhood to manhood, find out some more about him. i think they scratched the surface, but didnt go deep enough..

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    And the award for most cliches in a summer action film goes too.. *drumroll*

Seriously though, how often do you have to look up at the sky and yell? Or look at the camera with arms held back and yell? Some of the action was ok (though some fights weren't too interesting, and I laughed every time sabretooth did his little all fours thing) and some of the effects were cool (though a lot of the greenscreen looked shabby and Professor Plastic looked horrible) but overall it's a completely forgettable action movie with Jackman on the cover.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    Seriously though, how often do you have to look up at the sky and yell? Or look at the camera with arms held back and yell? .
    you forgot walking away all tough as things explode in the background. Thats the one I hate the most D:

I thought the movie was goofy. I prefer the healing properties to the memory loss than the bullets. Too bad they didnt extend the war time parts, I'd have liked to see him more in that era. Maybe even hint at captain america
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    i saw a pre production version with half the special effects still grey shaded...

and the wires still on...

sort of an unfair way to view a film...but it really points outs the poor writing and acting when the sfx are gone.

i was really enjoying it as a comedy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    armando - ah,yes. people would probably have gone "wtf,that's stupid" though,had it been that easy. (i mean,it does erase his gf from memory).
    Another easy alternative would have been to say he got the outer most layer of his brain scrambled when they put in the molten adamantium. Then he could have gone crazy destroying the machine, preventing them from doing the same experiment on Sabertooth. Then Agent Zero could have tried to stop him, blasting the hell out of him, and they could have shown all kinds of bullets bouncing off him before Wolverine killed him, that would have emphasized his new indestructable nature.

Arshes Nei: There have been several different interpretations of Rogue, she's a character with lots of potential. I'm a pretty big fan, for someone who isn't much of a fanatic(I don't collect toys and whatnot), so I was just stoked to see Rogue on the big screen. You make a good point about Stryker.

Rummity: "Emma Frost". So that's who that was. Seems like the more boring a character is the more powerful they make them.

Thanks
    silly film kinda wish we didnt work on it now

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 586 Posts
    I don't think I enjoyed anything in that movie after the opening sequence. Seriously, it rivals SciFi Original movies for sheer number of cliches. Dialogue was awful, didn't care for the pacing...

It was better than X3, and Sabretooth was kind of fun. I suppose Deadpool was fine until they shut his mouth.

Thanks
    ^perfect summary.
    i'll stand by x2 being the best one,if not for opening alone.
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    I thought the movie was pretty dam bad.

I understand that any writer or director is going to have guidelines put on them by the corporate side dealing with expected elements to be included, budget considerations, marketing ... stuff. But still... I mean, if the main character wasn't Wolverine would this movie last a week in theaters?

Deadpool blocking machine gun fire with those swords just looked stupid. Liev Shriever on all fours... Going from Weapon X to Weapon Eleven? The Blob. If that's the best you can do the Blob, then don't do him.

As an actor I don't mind Hugh Jackman. I like him when he's in interviews. Hat's off to him for working out for a year to get into shape for the role. He'd do a decent likeness to Wolverine if he weren't about a foot to tall.

The green screen didn't do it for me. Some of the wire work didn't do it for me.

This could have been done so much better, in my opinion.

Thanks
    I don't get why people complain about Jackman being a foot too tall. If you look at the comics Wolverine is almost always taller than he's supposed to be, he's always about a head or half a head taller than the extras, the only time he's short is when he's standing next to Colossus, the Hulk, Sabretooth or someone similar.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 586 Posts
    Haha, I'd already forgotten that Blob was even in it. I guess they'd exhausted the budget by the time they got to him, what with all the effort they put into the claws in the bathroom scene. World class effects there.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think the only thing that bothered me about it, was Deadpool. I mean, we've seen silly no reason cameos before, so emma frost and all those others, I couldn't care less for. But, Gambit, and even more, Deadpool, it was just funny!
    Their first scenes in the film, wade Wilson's in the plane and then the elevator, and Gambit's in the bar, were spot on perfect. Beyond my any hope of doing justice to the comic, they nailed it. And then they put Gambit flying a plane to the base, and doing pretty much nothing else in the whole film, and they turn Deadpool in to Frankenstein Mutant captain mc bastard with fries and a strawberry milkshake... Deadpool is by far the coolest thing to come off marvel comics since wolverine scratched Hulk for the first time, or Gambit threw the first ace of spades... And he is definately the funniest character in the whole "multiverse"....
    For chrissakes! leave the guy alone, and have sabertooth and wolvie fight to the end, or something. The whole film was about their relationship anyway, wasn't it? What did Deadpool, or the Bloob have to do with it? If you're gonna throw random characters in the mix, why not Namor and Howard the Duck?

Thanks
    I think the only thing that bothered me about it, was Deadpool. I mean, we've seen silly no reason cameos before, so emma frost and all those others, I couldn't care less for. But, Gambit, and even more, Deadpool, it was just funny!
    Their first scenes in the film, wade Wilson's in the plane and then the elevator, and Gambit's in the bar, were spot on perfect. Beyond my any hope of doing justice to the comic, they nailed it. And then they put Gambit flying a plane to the base, and doing pretty much nothing else in the whole film, and they turn Deadpool in to Frankenstein Mutant captain mc bastard with fries and a strawberry milkshake... Deadpool is by far the coolest thing to come off marvel comics since wolverine scratched Hulk for the first time, or Gambit threw the first ace of spades... And he is definately the funniest character in the whole "multiverse"....
    For chrissakes! leave the guy alone, and have sabertooth and wolvie fight to the end, or something. The whole film was about their relationship anyway, wasn't it? What did Deadpool, or the Bloob have to do with it? If you're gonna throw random characters in the mix, why not Namor and Howard the Duck?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    I saw it yesterday. Most of the above comments cover the film. I was disappointed. I will say this though. The video game is WAY better than the film. I downloaded the demo to see how it was and bought it the next day. It has nice pacing, tons of action, and most importantly buckets and buckets of carnage. And in the credits there is a dedication to Glen Angus

Thanks
    Yeah the game looks pretty good, I'll probably rent it in a few days. I remember renting the Wolverine game that came out I think around X2, it was pretty mediocre.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    I remember the one you speak of. This is leaps and bounds better. It was interesting playing through the game and then seeing the movie. The game does get into some of the movie's storyline but not enough to get the whole picture. It also expands on their work in Africa. It's a limb severing good time.

Thanks
    A very good movie. Perfect cast and full of action. However I did not get the deadpool thing at the end? I head that they are going to make a deadpool movie but he is head is he not?
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Thanks
    I too have heard good things about the game, which is surprising because usually games that coincide with big movie releases are like SUVs with a really cool paint job. Yeah they're cool to look at, but once you drive it it's a pretty average car
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook