Spartan Camp #86 - 50 gestures + Optional Study of "Old Master Study"

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 683 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 10th of May.

The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras....and can be in any media, digital or traditional is fine. Both with and without reference is OK. 50 poses is a challenge, but don't stress yourself reaching it! Practice is the main goal.

In addition to this, participants can choose to do a Optional Study of "Old Master Study", in any media. Black and White or Colour is fine.

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

PS...critting each other is highly encouraged!! Let's help each other get better!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #85

Anthis

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again.
    Okay, this week's gestures should be taking as "tablet practice". Thing is that I got my first drawing tablet (:-)) at the beginning of the week and am currently learning to draw with it.

Have still felt like doing the gestures - and since I now have a tablet I won't bother taking crappy digi pics of traditionally drawn ones.

Have also tried some different tools - pencil, pen and brush for these. All are from posemaniacs.com. First two without time limit, the rest 90 sec/pose:

Just finished a master study that can be found in my "figure drawing" thread here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...6&postcount=25

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Mindbendermind; May 8th, 2009 at 04:51 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindbendermind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

Really enjoyed doing these, didn't have time to do the master study.
    mixture of pen, pencil and the last is photoshop. CC welcome

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good. Only thing I can think of is that some of the 30 sec ones seem a little "unfinished". Vilppu talks a lot about capturing the gesture in five swift parts before starting to build shape:
    1. Head sphere
    2. Neck/Spine
    3. Leg + suggestion of foot
    4. Leg + sugg of foot
    5. Arm + sugg of hand
    6. Arm + sugg of hand

I know that 30 sec is really a short time limit, but maybe a good practice could be to try Vilppu's approach before starting to add biceps etc. ?

Just a thought - your gestures really have a nice flow, but in case you haven't read Vilppu's chapter on gestures (can be downloaded for free from his official site) I think it could be valuable study. Was for me at least ;-). Good job.

Not sure I'll get to 50 since it's Sunday today. Here are my latest ones anyway (posemaniacs, 60 s/pose):

EDIT: Was inspired by you Angel A to try some REALLY short time limits as well - posted the scribbles from that experience below.

Last edited by Mindbendermind; May 10th, 2009 at 10:55 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mindbendermind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    erm... hi...
    I have still problems how to draw (I mean, simply actually doing it... at least I'm not exhausted now, I had a holiday recently), but I have a few poses... quick reused crappy ones made today, not quite 50, but here they are:
    Spartan Camp #86 - 50 gestures + Optional Study of "Old <a href=Master Study"" title="Spartan Camp #86 - 50 gestures + Optional Study of "Old Master Study"" />

(I feel a little ashamed...)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mindbendermind; Congratulations on the tablet. I'm still not used to mine, but you'll start loving it at some point. Are those done with pencil tools? Don't think I've ever used those. Nice to seeing some posemaniacs from you! There's a few really tough poses among those, plus you're practising the tablet, plus on a timer. Must be a rough exercise.. remember posemaniacs has the option to go for 'easier' poses. Which may be more useful if you want to analyze and reproduce the anatomy.
    On the other hand, you obviously went for tablet practice. I hope the quick poses will help you get a more natural feel with the tablet! And thanks for the advice on Vilppu drawing, I'll look into that.

Angel Intheuk, shiNIN; Crits tomorrow.

Should have made these a little bigger. Little time at the moment. Will post the new thread tomorrow and finish the crits.

Posemaniacs
    Spartan Camp #86 - 50 gestures + Optional Study of "Old <a href=Master Study"" title="Spartan Camp #86 - 50 gestures + Optional Study of "Old Master Study"" />

http://imageevent.com/justmeina/refc/bytype <-- great reference site, lots of male poses too.

semi ref-imagination
    Spartan Camp #86 - 50 gestures + Optional Study of "Old Master Study"Spartan Camp #86 - 50 gestures + Optional Study of "Old Master Study"
    Spartan Camp #86 - 50 gestures + Optional Study of "Old Master Study"Spartan Camp #86 - 50 gestures + Optional Study of "Old Master Study"
    Spartan Camp #86 - 50 gestures + Optional Study of "Old Master Study"Spartan Camp #86 - 50 gestures + Optional Study of "Old Master Study"Spartan Camp #86 - 50 gestures + Optional Study of "Old Master Study"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for those encouraging words, Anthis. Yep, it was rather sweaty from time to time. This week I will begin with doing gestures from fantasy masterworks without time limit. Starting with looking at paintings by Barclay Shaw. We'll see how many posemaniacs I'll have to throw in at the end of the week ;-)

Thanks for the ref link - immediately bookmarked.

I think your gestures are looking really good, no crits at the moment. Hope to reach that level of cleanness and anatomical accuracy one day.

Am doing Drawing Basics classes over at Wetcanvas also and waiting for De Reyda's "How to draw what you see". Hope the study of that one will improve my drawing skills as well as this hardcore drilling (and IFX challenges I can't keep my hands from).

Thanks a lot for the time and energy you invest in keeping these camps going. Looking forward to another week. :-)

Oh, almost forgot: Welcome Shinin, nothing to be ashamed of. You'll become more confident every week you do these and every month you keep drawing. :-)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindbendermind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis, thanks for the link!
    Mindbendermind, thanks for your words... well I did this activity in the past, I almost always use references, the results are more or less okay if I took my time, but I'm almost totally lost when I try to draw a gesture by myself... I'm improving very slowly and I'm sure I do something wrong... the main problem I practice too little. I try to draw but somehow my time flows away, from various reasons.

now I really want to do these again, every week, seriously, some detailed gestures with anatomy, many simpler one, animals too, optionals too (I usually loved and did them back then), tablet gestures too (ouch... I practiced with my tablet a lot. I can't control my lines...) I will study the basics again and hopefully with better results...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Angel Intheuk; Ha! Nice to see you here. Hope you like the activity, no problem if you don't. Great variation on the media. Especially pen sketches make you 'aware' of your own pen strokes. You can notice how much you need to 'plan' the pose and visualize it as a whole. The later ones actually seem better than the first. Careful with starting at one point and slowly adding the rest of the body (not sure if you are though). Some of those pencil posemaniacs are really good, I can see the construction in there. Great workflow, and a good reminder.
    shiNIN; Na, you're fine! I used to push myself reaching 50 but I don't think its the right thing to do anyway. Focusing on those poses is more important. And I can see you have, at least on some Keep up the construction lines, fresh reference at hand, compare, stay varied. To be honest, I'm no longer drawing completely without ref any more.
    Mindbendermind; Never heard of some of the names in your last post, some more things to track! Cheers!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Anthis

Glad to be here, I did enjoy it, it's a really good thread, thanks for hosting it

Cheers for the nice comments and the crits, you are spot on, I do start with the head and then have good intentions to draw the spine, legs and arms and then fill in the rest but always get caught up doing the shoulders and torso. I think that's just how I usually draw, start with one bit and then relate everything else to that instead of looking at the 'big picture' so I will keep that in mind and try to get out of that habit.

I got the posemaniacs site from a link you provided somewhere, that and characterdesign.com...sorry for making you repeat yourself but was there any other sites you can recommend? I keep looking but keep coming across the same ones.

mindbendermind - thanks for the tip, that's really useful I will keep that in mind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem. I just noticed I often draw like that myself. Which often leads to bad proportions, at least for me. Just something to watch out for, I guess.

As for reference, I often use the resources you mentioned. Aside from that, I recommend just saving all images of value you encounter on the web. Both of reference and artwork itself. (i.e. from this site)

Also:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1813
    Which is a bit of an old thread with a lot of broken links, but very extensive though.

http://imageevent.com/justmeina/refc/bytype
    Really good site. Has good male reference too.

(nudity in both)

Members who have read this thread: 21