Thanks

need a good advice - lilo and stitch art book?

i really need your help guys...

i've been searching for ages Disney's Lilo&Stitch concept art book, and finally found this: Lilo and Stitch: Collected Stories from the film's Creators.
    (link to amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Lilo-Stitch-Co...39J4H50TATLPZ).

the issue is:
    a new book costs 100$, and a used book in good condition costs 50$. on top of that, the book is not really described as a concept art book, and since no preview is availible, i feel like i might be buying a cat in a sack. a very expensive sack. it's expensive for me, as i'm a student, but i wouldn't mind paying the price if it's worth it..

so my question is:
    is anyone of you is familiar with this book, and could recommend me on either to buy it or not?
    any comments would be helpfull and much appriciated!
    Thanx!
    Noa k

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    I once ordered "The Art of A New Hope" through Barnes and Noble. When I got it and was disapointed, they took it back. I'd ask a few book stores what their policies might be.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hi biil!

thanx for your answer!

were you dissapointed of the book because of it's condition (ware and tare..) or of it's content?

these are the two issues i'm concerned about buying this book specifically. i'm afraid that the content would not be as i expect, and also i fear that buying a used book will result in torn and stained pages...
    This is the reason i ask people here if they acctually saw the book themselves and can recommend about it..

have to say though, i have bought at the time the art of pirates of the carribian, without previewing it's contant, and it proved to be one of the best concept-art books i've seen yet, and i highly recommend it. but the thing is, that unlike the lilo&stitch book, a new copy cost me only 19$...

Thanks
    I have the book...it's not a concept art book per se, but does have a decent amount of the concept stuff in it, as well as story boards and a bunch of text I've never read (Bought it for the doodles). I don't personally think it'd be worth $100 or $50, but that could just be me-I think the art of Hercules/kung fu panda/monsters inc etc are all way superior and have a nicer collection of art. If you have the cash and really dig the film (and your just looking not to totally waste money) then you may want it , but otherwise I'd go for another concept book with better art.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to daveneale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thank you daveneale!

yes, i want the book for the doodles as well..

i have my heart set for the herculese art book as well, but it would have to wait for the next time..
    thnx for the feedback, this is just what i've been looking for

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Better off buying the creator's sketchbook. Check out Chris Sanders (sp).
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've got the book too. I loved the visual style of 'Lilo and Stitch' when I saw it at the cinema, so bought the book as soon as it came out.

I actually really like the book. I'd prefer it to be hardcover, but there's a lot of great concept work, sketches and paintings. It's different to other 'Art of...' books, in that it doesn't go through all the CG stuff. I know this is cel-animation, rather than 3D, but even then, there are very few screenshots from the film. The book concentrates more on the personal stories, ideas and artwork from some of the key members of the team.

There are some beautiful watercolours, great concept sketches and the text is actually quite interesting. They're not made up 'stories', more recollections, ideas and philosophies from the art team and an insight into the relationships, inspiration and process involved in the film. I found the text more interesting than most other 'Art of' books.

But then $50 for a secondhand copy is a lot for a paperback book that was originally $19.95.... And $99 is a bit bonkers. maybe I could scan you a few pages? Am I allowed to do that and post it here?

And you do get more 'art' in the Pixar or Dreamworks books. I think it depends a little on just how much you like this particular film, and how much you want the book!

I'd heartily recommend the 'KungFu Panda' book. If you like stuff stylized, it is amaaazing, especially the Nicolas Marlet stuff. The man is a GENIUS!! And another one that doesn't get mentioned much, but blew me away was the 'Open Season' book.... It's great fun and there's loads of wonderful stuff to look at.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to duddlebug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thank u omenspirits and duddlebug!

the more i hear from you guys the more i'm convinced to buy the book, despite the price issues..

duddlebug -
    yes, 50$ is quite alot, but i did some research and it seems that the book was released in only one or two editions, which makes it hard to find, which makes it price soar higher. if i'm wrong about this and someone got other onformation/theory i'd like to hear it. just cos it's interesting, price issue thing.
    another thing that might contribute to price would be popularity. for ex: when i bought "the art of pirates of the caribbean" it cost 19$. there was no way of telling what would be in that book, and it seemed just like another merchendise thingy, but since i'm a great fan of the movie, and it didn't cost much i thought "what the heck" and purchased it. as i said befor, it turned out to be one of the best film concept-art book i've laid my hands on. i checked it in amazon and the price went from the 19$ i paid to 39$. guess people discoverd it's a good book, and the price was adjusted accordingly. (i don't know much about this stuff, but this is my guess anyway..)

i've seen the kong-fu pand book - it's awesom, man! and open-season is suprisingly great as well (my roomate has it. ). both are on my list, but i really want to see the lilo&stitch one first!
    by the way, i wouldn't recommend to buy any pixar art-book blindly. i did that with wall-e, expecting some super backgrounds concepts, relying that pixar usually put out the best concept-art books with lots of treats, and got major dissapointment...

Omenspirits -
    thanx for the recommendation, it sure sounds interesting!
    unfortunately didn't find a seller to ship it internationally from the u.s...

edit: about the scanning issues...
    i'm not sure if this wouldn't be copyright violation to scan images and post them here.personally, even if it was an option, i would rather anyway to pay a price and get the book than downloading it.
    but maybe it's ok if you scan one or two images from the book and post them here in low res, just so i would have an example for whats in the book? is that possible?
    admins, what says you?

much appriciation! (sorry if spelling fail..)
    Last edited by Noa K; May 6th, 2009 at 06:22 AM.

Thanks
    Actually... Unless you are really interested in the personal stories I'd give this book a pass. I bought it and it's got more text than pictures. Some of the information gives useful insights into how a movie gets made... But this isn't a book I've pulled out to look at once after I went through it when I first bought it. Kung Fu Panda, on the other hand, and Iain McCaig's book, and the new Leyendecker book, and the Open Season book, those I pull out again and again.

I'd say forget that book and look for a Chris Sanders book. *Especially* if you're about to pay $50 for it. I found it used on Amazon for like $30 I think, and it wasn't worth that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nonie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    Maybe Nonie would give you a good price for her her copy? And Open Season's book is gorgeous. Kung Fu Panda's is probably my bet for the most impressive of any so far, of those that I've seen. Both books are a lot better than their movies, imo.

It sounds like you might be able to find more of the development art from the artists blogs than from what's in the book?

Michael Spooner: Attachment 664494

Armand Serrano: Attachment 664500

Marcelo Vignali: Attachment 664503

And the book that I had returned was in good condition but I kept the receipt and returned it due to a small amount of pictures. I didn't have any problem returning it to Barnes and Noble.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh duh! Yeah I could do that. I'll sell mine for $15 plus shipping

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nonie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonie View Post
    Oh duh! Yeah I could do that. I'll sell mine for $15 plus shipping
    I'd LOVE that!
    thank you so much!

how can we do this?

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noa K View Post
    thank u omenspirits and duddlebug!

the more i hear from you guys the more i'm convinced to buy the book, despite the price issues..

duddlebug -
    yes, 50$ is quite alot, but i did some research and it seems that the book was released in only one or two editions, which makes it hard to find, which makes it price soar higher. if i'm wrong about this and someone got other onformation/theory i'd like to hear it. just cos it's interesting, price issue thing.
    another thing that might contribute to price would be popularity. for ex: when i bought "the art of pirates of the caribbean" it cost 19$. there was no way of telling what would be in that book, and it seemed just like another merchendise thingy, but since i'm a great fan of the movie, and it didn't cost much i thought "what the heck" and purchased it. as i said befor, it turned out to be one of the best film concept-art book i've laid my hands on. i checked it in amazon and the price went from the 19$ i paid to 39$. guess people discoverd it's a good book, and the price was adjusted accordingly. (i don't know much about this stuff, but this is my guess anyway..)

i've seen the kong-fu pand book - it's awesom, man! and open-season is suprisingly great as well (my roomate has it. ). both are on my list, but i really want to see the lilo&stitch one first!
    by the way, i wouldn't recommend to buy any pixar art-book blindly. i did that with wall-e, expecting some super backgrounds concepts, relying that pixar usually put out the best concept-art books with lots of treats, and got major dissapointment...

Omenspirits -
    thanx for the recommendation, it sure sounds interesting!
    unfortunately didn't find a seller to ship it internationally from the u.s...

edit: about the scanning issues...
    i'm not sure if this wouldn't be copyright violation to scan images and post them here.personally, even if it was an option, i would rather anyway to pay a price and get the book than downloading it.
    but maybe it's ok if you scan one or two images from the book and post them here in low res, just so i would have an example for whats in the book? is that possible?
    admins, what says you?

much appriciation! (sorry if spelling fail..)
    Where are you located?
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

23. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Where are you located?
    i live in Israel.

nonie- sent you pm with details

Thanks

Smile

here's a sketchbook by the same artist of L&S

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHRIS-SANDERS-Sk...3286.m20.l1116

May want to give this site a try, see if they ship international.

http://budsartbooks.com/

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...sbn=097978090X

Could never find a SB of L&S, but his own works, like Kiskaloo is cool.
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Does anybody have the Lilo and Stitch art of book for sale here? I want to get my hands on it but not wanting to spend a fortune on it since im a college student...
    - Vincent Chiantelli

Sculptor and Painter. Always open for commissions."
    http://www.RaptorArts.com
    http://www.RaptorArts.deviantart.com

Thanks
    lolsies! While I wasnt that big about the movie the art in fact is kinda awesome