Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

SUPER Stylised Challenge - May 2009 - Robots!

Welcome to the 30th (yes, 30th!) SUPER Stylised Monthly Challenge – Sponsored by 3DTotal.com and 2DArtist Magazine. Please post all images & questions in this thread.

IMPORTANT: By entering this challenge you give 3DTotal.com Ltd. permissions to reproduce the submitted material in 2DArtist Magazine and all subsequent editions of the Work (by which we mean 2DArtist), its ancillaries, and other derivative works, in any form or medium, whether now known or hereafter developed, in all languages, for distribution throughout the world. 3DTotal.com Ltd will credit each artist accordingly, providing they email lynette@3dtotal.com with their full name, conceptart.org name, email address and website (if applicable).

Please always create new and original artwork in order to avoid any issues with copyrights. If you're unsure as to whether your work infringes any copyrights, please don't hesitate to contact lynette@3dtotal.com for advice.

IMPORTANT: Make it original!!!! No Transformers, no Bender from Futurama, nothing from the X-Men or I. Robot, no C3PO or R2D2... You get the idea: no movie or TV robots that have copyrights owned - make this robot your own; something of your own creation that you can claim the credit for. Good luck - & enjoy!

So what is this challenge all about?
    Each month we will select a title for the Super Stylised Challenge, and we'll post some images for you to use as reference. The title is there to be interpreted as and how you wish. All you have to do then is to think up your concept, paint it, and create a final 2D image of this in your own way!

This regular monthly challenge is designed to bring in some great content for 2DArtist Magazine – in the form of final images from the Top Ten and Making Ofs from the top 3 winners – as well as some great prizes and exposure just for you!

What are we looking for?
    Funny and humorous entries which interpret the title of the Super Stylised Challenge however you see fit. We’re pretty much leaving everything open for your interpretation and stylisation!! All we ask is that the title of the Super Stylised Challange is instantly recognisable in your final image! All you have to do then is to render your stylised/abstract/cartoon masterpiece and you’re away!

What are the timeframes and requirements?
    The rules are pretty laid back: please submit 1 x 2D Final Image. If you want to have a background or include some graphical elements or text on your image, it's entirely up to you. Image posts should be around 800 pixels across, but please work at a much higher res as the top 10 will be featured in 2DArtist Magazine and we'd like the winner's image to be used as the article cover!

Please aim to create your final images, and save your WIPS, at resolutions of around 2000 pixels upwards, to ensure that when you images are published they are high quality. Any screebshots are understandably going to be screen resolution (72dpi), so simply capture those as large as you can when saving out your WIP stages.

There will be 1 challenge per month, with the deadline being the end of the month GMT+1.00 (BST: http://www.britishsummertime.co.uk/). A 'VOTING' thread will be created at the end of the month.

For a valid entry, you must make sure your final image is posted in both the WIP thread before the end of the month - 31st May 11:59PM GMT+1.00 (BST: http://www.britishsummertime.co.uk/) - and then in the 'VOTING' thread before the 8th June 2009. Voting will take place from the 8th June to the 15th June 2009, when the winners will be announced!

We require the top 3 winners to submit 'Making Of' overview articles that will be shown on either 3DTotal or in 2DArtist Magazine ; these need to show the stages of your creation, different elements and some brief explanation text of why, and how, you did what you did. We will format this into some nice-looking pages to give you some great exposure, and us some quality content. This will serve as some great exposure for you which, along with your prizes, is a pretty cool incentive to get involved!

Everyone has to post their FINAL image in the WIP thread before the end of the month deadline (31st May 11:59PM GMT+1.00 (BST: http://www.britishsummertime.co.uk/)), as well as their WIPs during the month. You then have to post it (exactly the same final image) again in the VOTING thread. This means there is a very clear deadline: no-one can work after the end of the month and the VOTING thread still exists as before, as this is a nice clean thread with final images only which is used for the judging!

Posting Works in Progress
    Each challenge will have one thread that starts with this info and the brief at the top. This is where all entrants post all WIPs, give feedback, and generally laugh at the crazy ideas that are emerging each month!

Please don't start any new threads – just reply to this one already set up!

Prizes!!
    1st Place Any 3 items from the 3DTotal Shop. We sell lots of items these days, such as our book , Design Studio Press books, textureCDs, Shorts DVDs, lots of training DVDs, and 12 month subscriptions to 2DArtist Magazine and 2DArtist Magazine .

2nd Place
    Any 2 items from the 3DTotal Shop.

3rd Place
    Any 1 item from the 3DTotal Shop.

We do unfortunately have to limit prizes to 1 book per winner per challenge, due to high postage costs for heavier items. Please note that we cannot offer the 3D Printed models as prizes!

Judging
    New Voting Rules and Restrictions
    1. In order for your vote to be valid, your post count must be 50 or above AND you must have been registered on the ConceptArt.org forums for at least 6 months. The ONLY exception to this rule is if you have contributed an entry yourself to the challenge.
    2. If you want to vote but are not a contributor of the challenge, you need to have been registered on the ConceptArt.org Forums for at least the last six months, AS WELL AS have 50 posts already to your name.
    3. It goes without saying that all voters MUST look through each of the entries before posting their score.
    4. Finally, don't vote for yourself or get your friends to vote for you in an attempt to influence votes, it's not an attractive quality.
    5. The 3DTotal team are all able to vote from their CA.org accounts some of us have fewer than 50 posts but we know who we are!

We will award 3pts for a 1st place vote, 2 for 2nd and 1 for 3rd. Then we will add them up and ship out your prizes!

This month we have chosen: Robots!

©iStockphoto.com/Aslan Kindikbayev

Robot
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

A robot is a virtual or mechanical artificial agent. In practice, it is usually an electro-mechanical system which, by its appearance or movements, conveys a sense that it has intent or agency of its own. The word robot can refer to both physical robots and virtual software agents, but the latter are usually referred to as bots. There is no consensus on which machines qualify as robots, but there is general agreement among experts and the public that robots tend to do some or all of the following: move around, operate a mechanical limb, sense and manipulate their environment, and exhibit intelligent behavior, especially behavior which mimics humans or other animals.

Here is a selection of Images from a simple Google search to give you some good references for this month’s brief!
    Robot 01
    Robot 02
    Robot 03
    Robot 04
    Robot 05
    Robot 06
    Robot 07
    Robot 08
    Robot 09
    Robot 10

Please don't start new threads: all design sketches, WIPs, feedback should go in this thread! Final Images should be posted in the 'VOTING' thread, which will be created at the end of the month.

Enjoy!

Lynette - 2DArtist

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Love it!!! Count me in!

Thanks
    This sounds awesome! Great choice of topic, I'm in!

Oh and I like the challenge image, the little robot is so cute

Thanks
    he really is cute, isn't he? - has to be my favorite challenge banner image so far, i think, hehe. AND, it's the Stylised Challenge's 30th birthday! woop!! so i hope you all enjoy this one. we've had a few suggestions for a robot topic and the timing seemed perfect, so ... have fun everyone! yay!!

Thanks
    yeah what a nice topic like that very much...

Thanks

Smile NEW in this forum

Hi all!

As you can see in my "User Title", I'm a (proud) NEWBIE ILLUSTRATOR! xD

A workmate join in this challenges since a few months, and I always follow the evolution of all paintings. And now, I've decided to join in too, thanks to this cool topic: Robots!!

I'll try to do it the better I can.

Good Luck to All!

This is my first colorized sketch:

I've had another idea!

Last edited by pitzikaut; May 5th, 2009 at 06:23 PM.

Thanks
    Welcome to the challenge, pitzikaut I hope there'll be some more sketches soon - should be a fun challenge, been looking forward to this one

Thanks
    first two ideas

Thanks

robotfry

hello, a greeting to all, I've never drawn robots, but I think a good topic here I leave my WIP

Thanks
    great starts everyone! i really like the tiny fly robot in the reference images (in my first post) - i love that this topic can be taken in any direction like that, so really looking forward to some original concepts emerge have fun with it!

Thanks
    2 WIP +
    Last edited by albertocubatas; May 6th, 2009 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks

Ooooh...Robots!

I might have to do this one too, if I have time!

I just started a robot for IDW100....here's what I am doing for that
    - My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com

Thanks

ideas

i think it will be the butler

Thanks
    I'll give this a go if time permits, here's what I got after a session today

Thanks
    I love the retro colour scheme, monstertree - I hope you have time to finish it for the deadline, it looks like it's going to be a great contender!

Thanks to all who have WIPped so far - it's wonderful to see the concepts pouring in. More please!

Thanks
    Hi there,
    very good start monstertree, so contemplative scene.
    here's my sketches.

Thanks
    Hi Everyone,

This is my FIRST in more than one way...

This is the first time that I participate in a SUPER Stylised Challenge. It is also the first time that I try to draw and paint a robot (emphasis in "TRY").

And my first post since I joined the forum. Critiques and comments are more than welcome.

Thanks
    SUPER Stylised Challenge - May 2009 - Robots! SUPER Stylised Challenge - May 2009 - Robots!

Thanks

Thanks
    other idea

details
    Last edited by albertocubatas; May 12th, 2009 at 03:40 AM.

Thanks
    Last night I had a new idea. More simple, original and pleasing to the eye than the robot dragging himselve across the ground.

Albertocubatas, I love your cream worm It's very nice!

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    Here is my WIP.

I'm thinking of adding a lantern on the arm of the girl to give more light to where the little girl and the dog are. I want this area to be the main focal point so I think it will benefit from the contrast of a strong light against the darkness that surrounds the painting.

Freddydark: Nice. I want to see it finished.

Albertocubatas: WoW! you are exercising your brain aren't you. So many different ideas.

Pitzikaut: Yep. I think your last idea is the best but the perspective is a bit off.

Migsta:
    I wish I could do something like that.

Monstertree: Love it.

Thanks

pink robots

sketch 1

Thanks

wip avanced

Here is my WIP more advanced, attempt to represent the men who have lost and while maintaining the illusion of their humanity, they become machines to surrender to this system and your routine and end up with the dreams that always tubieron (our heroes), and set peligo to believe that our dreams can be fulfilled.
    i wait yours commentarys,sorry for my english
    greettings and thanks.
    Last edited by freddydark; May 14th, 2009 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks

Thanks
    freddydark esta muy wapo el dibujo, yo le haria la capa mas larga y el traje mas ceñido a las muñecas ( en caso de k sea superman claro xD)

I would make him the longest layer and followed suit over the wrists (if k is clear superman xD)
    Last edited by albertocubatas; May 13th, 2009 at 01:50 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to albertocubatas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

albertocubatas

thanks, bueno por tu nombre creo que sabes español, espero que asi sea por que el ingles me mata...tengo que aprender...mersi por tu comentario la verdad es que el dibujo ya m aburre...siempre me canso de mis dibujos y cambiaria un huevo de cosas...creo que a ti te pasa algo parecido porque eres una makina de crear , tomare en cuenta tu consejo intentare hacer la capa mas grande, la ultima parte de tu mensaje no la he entendido...un saludo y gracias
    otia perdona, no habia visto la pag original ....siempre veo la traducida...ahora si que lo he entendido y ya se que sabes español

Thanks
    freddydark Te pongo un retoque de la manga para que se entienda mejor xD

freddydark you put a touch of the sleeve for better understanding xD

Saludos
    Last edited by albertocubatas; May 13th, 2009 at 01:51 PM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to albertocubatas For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast