Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Favorite/Most interesting MMO?

Any interesting/favorite MMORPG/MMO you would like to share?

Well, I'm not sure if you guys already have heard of these games. But these 2 games just make my day watching the trailer. They're not out in the U.S. yet. >.> But gosh, if you have time, watch both of these videos til the end. Makes me want to play

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Blade and soul looks damn nice, but that's probably because I'm a sucker for HTKs work

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    EDITED: [Most] videogames are a waste of time. The very best MMORPG's are still a pale shell of a real story. If you don't want to be productive, at least read a good book, or watch a good film. It'll be much more inspiring.

DISCLAIMERS:
    1. If you work or want to work for the gaming industry, then it's obviously important to know what makes a good game, so playing is more like field research.
    2. If you're a concept artist and you're playing a game to pause it and study/draw the artwork, then fine.

What I'm trying to say is that there's not a single game ever that's as educational as, say, a Steinbeck novel, or anything by Jared Diamond. If you've got free time, use it to educate yourself. If you are designing videogames, spend some time thinking how you could turn a game into a message with the power of a Steinbeck novel.
    Last edited by TASmith; May 6th, 2009 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,279 Times in 625 Posts
    your hero Grief used to be an online celebrity over on MapleStory.

s>zekus halm vip offr @@@

cc plox
    Last edited by Grief; May 3rd, 2009 at 04:43 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    in b4 Ragnarok Online

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    videogames are all a waste of time. The very best MNORPG's are still a pale shell of a real story. If you don't want to be productive, at least read a good book, or watch a good film. It'll be much more inspiring.
    well that's...off. it can't be fair to dismiss a whole medium, can it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    your hero Grief used to be an online celebrity over on MapleStory.

s>zekus halm vip offr @@@

cc plox
    DUDE NO WAY, I freaking played that for like 4 years! AHAAHA, i always stuck with a mage though even though i tried to be something else. Im a level 175 bishop, and all my friends were 170, 155, 159 and stuff . we had combined around 10 billion mesos .. => my share. this was back then

and then i got all the orbs!

B> NX PLZ,

ahah i also had a CB, bombing goby houses all day
    and im an FM Wh0re

And what's wierd was, i never got tired of it. That game is so addicting. Even though the grinds weren't that boring. I just coming back and back

EXCEPT. it was a private server , didn't feel like paying for NX in the real one anymore.. my highest real servers was a 94 CB, and i was a hooker, like i was a girl and i asked people for money and got a boyfriend and he would buy nx for me.. Except my boyfriend was 12 when i was 15.. =X
    Last edited by rossipoo; May 3rd, 2009 at 05:55 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    The company i work at just released Freerealms for PC. It's tailored toward kids but i've been playing through it and it's actually quite fun, especially when you start digging into all the different looks for your character and minigames. Plus it's free...

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    *sigh* It doesnt matter how pretty you make them. All MMORPGs are a rehash of the same boring formula. And I'll even entertain the idea that you can prove me wrong on that statement. There may be something that "breaks the mold" that I'm am unaware of. Not the point. The real point is that none of them have actual role playing. The term "Role Playing game" was mutated and made wrong with console games like Final Fantasy or *Insert your favorite "RPG" title here*. Sure, you are playing A role, but it is a predetermined role that has been decided for you that allows you to mildly tailor it. Your existence in most of these MMORPGs is insignificant. Most of them are just an anthropological study of conformity. There are hardly any games where your character can be whatever you like, have to speak in character at all times, and make an actual difference. If you want an experience like that you have to look to something like a Persistent World Server on Neverwinter Nights. Recent patches have even removed things like level and class from the menu screens, so you cant be influenced in game by knowing those things out of character. And with active humans watching over the persistent world servers as DMs you can get unique missions and do things that are outside of the box that game engines just cant be designed for without that human interaction like you would get from D&D.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hookswords For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think TAsmith meant console games. But I do concur that NWN had the best Stories and features out of all these new agey games.

If there is anything to say about these new MMOs and in fact all these new games is that they've made the public stupider. And any game that comes out that is different to the norm and does not comply with generic formula and Heaven forbid actually requires your brain to function is deemed unintuitive and given a low score.

Long live indie game development.

Thanks
    I've played quite a few MMO's before and i have to say the only one that I have actually stuck with is Tibia. The graphics are terrible, and the quest systems suck but the reason i find the game so good is your ability to shape the game based on how you want to play. Your whole gaming experience really is based around your interaction with other players. If you want you can power level and just hunt and gain experience incredibly fast, and really make your character quite powerful. Or you can play the game socially, interact with other people, form alliances between your guilds etc. The server i play just came out of a very devastating war. Two guilds both basically wanted control of the server (the best hunting grounds, the places to make the most money etc..) As both guilds were made of the strongest players on the server, a lot of casualities ensued, other guilds allianced with either of the two main ones were drawn into the war and it really was quite exciting. What I am trying to say though is that i have never found a game where social skills are just as important in surviving in the world as your actual gaming skills.
    My Sketchbook - Comments and Crits always welcome -
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=156277

Thanks
    @Hookswords

I don't think you understand the infrastructure required for something like "being able to do anything you want". Allowing the player to do whatever he wants isn't the problem, it's having a world that reacts accordingly.

And for the record, there ARE games that come relatively close to allowing you to do whatever you want - they're called MUDs and are falling in popularity because they don't have fancy graphics (though I'd add that some of them also have serious usability issues).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t fl33t View Post
    @Hookswords

I don't think you understand the infrastructure required for something like "being able to do anything you want". Allowing the player to do whatever he wants isn't the problem, it's having a world that reacts accordingly.

And for the record, there ARE games that come relatively close to allowing you to do whatever you want - they're called MUDs and are falling in popularity because they don't have fancy graphics (though I'd add that some of them also have serious usability issues).
    Seems English isnt your first language, so I'll let your post slide. Why dont you print this out or e-mail it to your English teacher and see if they can explain the words and sentence structures I used to you in your native tongue. Maybe then you will be able to decipher the fact that I stated the same thing you did in your post.

I am familiar with MUDs, and you are correct. They are not as popular because they arent graphics heavy. My beef is that things like World of Warcraft get called RPGs. WoW is no more of an RPG than Super Mario Brothers. Are you playing a role? Yes. Is there anything that makes your character different from another player of the same class and level? Not really. Maybe the gear you have, but probably only slightly. Pen and paper games allow much more freedom and individuality, which was ultimately the source material for the RPG video games we play today. There are some video games that keep that passion alive with role playing servers where people must stay in character and DMs monitor goings ons and spice things up or allow players to do something that the game engine wont allow. There may be a little imagination still involved, god forbid.

I suppose one could argue that in the RPG genre there are subcategories, under which your typical MMORPG would fall into a different category than would something more true to P&P, and further still something like Final Fantasy would find itself in yet another subcategory. In the end, that's probably a fancy way of agreeing to disagree.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    the only good game on any platform is one you can play for a few minutes and put down at a moment's notice, for instance, while in a waiting room, or a kid stuck in a car for a long drive. MMORPG's are addictive, suck up way too much time, and there's no productive result. Just hours of entertainment.

Thanks
    You should'nt say that is if it's a matter of fact. There are plenty of great professionals on this site who spend some time playing games every now and again. It's fine, in moderation. But to aot of people, this suff is inspiring. Comics and Videogames were the reason I got into art, I find it refreshing to stay in the look.. and think of how your designs would be in current gaming technology.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    MMORPG's are addictive, suck up way too much time, and there's no productive result. Just hours of entertainment.
    Isn't that the point?
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Imagine how much you could accomplish if instead of getting your soul sucked into a never ending virtual universe, you were drawing.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    the only good game on any platform is one you can play for a few minutes and put down at a moment's notice, for instance, while in a waiting room, or a kid stuck in a car for a long drive. MMORPG's are addictive, suck up way too much time, and there's no productive result. Just hours of entertainment.
    Really? Addictive? It had the opposite effect on me. All MMORPGS are boring!
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    @Hookswords

Alright then, let me see if I understood you correctly - you're complaining about modern MMORPGs not being fateful to their P&P predecessors when it comes to role-play. Correct?

To that, I retorted that it's improbable, if not impossible, for a machine to understand and react to a myriad of actions a player could attempt, given the freedom of traditional P&P. Hence, it's pointless to complain how MMORPGs don't involve roleplaying just as it would be pointless to complain about flight simulators not simulating the effect airplane sickness in the player.

So where's the problem?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookswords View Post
    *sigh* It doesnt matter how pretty you make them. All MMORPGs are a rehash of the same boring formula. And I'll even entertain the idea that you can prove me wrong on that statement. There may be something that "breaks the mold" that I'm am unaware of.
    I would say Eve Online can qualify as a true RPG, as your charecter is defined at least as much through interactions with others as stats.

However, it is incredibly time consuming to play it enough to get ingrained in the politics.

Thanks
    I'm not sure how I can be more clear. But it's fair to argue that my hatred of humans might biased my words so that maybe they make sense to me and not others.

I dont think a flight sim is a fair comparison. They could simulate blacking out from G force and some recent games like Mirror's Edge have been making people nauseous. But I digress. If Napalm Death considered themselves country music stars, wouldnt it seem ridiculous? What I'm saying is take the RP out of MMORPG. Your standard MMORPG is more or less an action title with power ups replaced by a system more a kin to traditional RPGs. It may be an argument of syntax and semantics, but it gets under my skin.

A machine on its own may not be able to account for any and all actions a player may want to take. With humans behind the scenes not just as admin, but as DMs there to enrich the player experience you can pull off quite a bit. There are some very talented folk out there for doing just this. That coupled with players looking for an experience akin to P&P makes for a decent MMORPG. Again I'll turn to NWN because that was one I played a lot. During a time when I played NWN a lot the beta test for Guild Wars came out. I tried that and acted in character and was just about laughed off the server. I've watched my friends play WoW and it's the same thing. It's a different experience and not fitting of being called an RPG in my opinion. What is the difference between Fable and WoW? What is the difference between WoW and Contra?

I dont know if that makes it any clearer to you. I'm really trying to bite my tongue here. I'm not trying to start a flame war or derail Rossipoo's original intent for this thread (not too much anyway).

And to Meloncov, I'm not saying there is no MMORPG that isnt a full RPG experience, I'm just saying the majority isnt. I can remember reading about some huge shakedown in Eve. Something with a guild that was ripped apart from the inside destrying months of players work and killing several characters. I forget the specifics but it sounded pretty impressive.

Thanks
    videogames are all a waste of time. The very best MMORPG's are still a pale shell of a real story. If you don't want to be productive, at least read a good book, or watch a good film. It'll be much more inspiring.
    Haha, thanks for dismissing the industry where (I would guess) most of the professionals on this website work in, and most of the students aspire to work in. You're not gonna make a lot of friends
    as for myself, I would say books and movies are a waste of time. If you don't want to be productive, at least go see a greek tragedy while they sacrifice a goat.

Guess what, books are entertainment too.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to m@. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    seems more than a bit shortsighted to me to dismiss an entire medium on the basis that you (a general you), derive no pleasure from it. i might not understand poetry, might not enjoy broadway musicals, and absolutely despise musical films, but i tend to judge the works as individuals. there is bad poetry, and bad musicals, and bad musical films, but making the general statement 'x sucks, it's a waste of time' would definitely be overstepping the bounds of my experience and knowledge

video games is a medium with its own peculiarities that need to be approached, challenged, and understood on its own merits. you derive no pleasure from playing them, great. but don't try telling me it's a waste of time if you haven't taken the time to actually understand it on its own merits.

'productiveness' is a rather vague term. what are your criteria for productiveness? what the hell does it even mean, anyway? are you only productive if you're preparing for your future? or maybe if you're learning? or learning about things that are important? each of these criterion can be refuted, and you're left only with a vague idea of 'doing something' or 'accomplishing something' that actually has little grounding.

Thanks
    Books and movies are good and all, but the outcome of the story doesn't rely on your choices of how to play through the universe. Personally that's what I love about them, exploring and getting the satisfaction of forming a character.
    You don't have to waste your entire life playing it, you basically just have to have enough money to justify being a casual gamer(which indeed can be tough).

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaoticKnight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookswords View Post
    My beef is that things like World of Warcraft get called RPGs. WoW is no more of an RPG than Super Mario Brothers. Are you playing a role? Yes. Is there anything that makes your character different from another player of the same class and level? Not really. Maybe the gear you have, but probably only slightly.

Not necessarily. A guy I know has become pretty famous on his server for his RP. I know this guy pretty well, and when he plays his character he definitely enters a role different from himself. A few examples:

Long ago on his 66,666 dishonorable kill grind he'd sometimes toy with the lowbies, convincing them to /strip /kneel ect., and flipping a coin to see if he'd execute.

Taking his friends on treks to winterspring, hunting for herbs to eat and with only a campfire to keep warm. Lots of small RP things like that I can't remember

Making pug raids to Onyxia and Magtheridon and ninjaing everything he couldn't use (healing gear for example) just so he could wear it. (this was before ninjas were common. These days if he gets a raid invite like 10 people automatically leave.) This was kind of a douchebag thing

Farming a "king" outfit to RP as server king with. Also the self-proclaimed "best rogue in the world", he blew a server transfer just to duel and defeat the actual (by wow community consensus I guess) best rogue Neilyo.

And he isn't even on an RP server. I mean Mario is a plumber trying to save a princess, but your orc could be a fugitive escape slave, a ruthless lowbie torturer, or a leader of an underground ninja clan. As long as you have imagination, /say and /e, or hell even vent, I think many MMOs are really what you make of 'em.

Thanks
    I don't play a lot of MMOs, mostly because of the addictive part. I'm easily sucked into games, so I online games are not something I usually step in.

Now, if they ever develop a Fallout MMO with all the caracter-development and options that all Fallout games have, I'm afraid my career in architecture might go bye-bye.
    Last edited by ArqArturo; May 3rd, 2009 at 07:39 PM.
    "Time heals everything, except the waste of Time itself..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    Now, if they ever develop a Fallout MMO with all the caracter-development and options that all Fallou games have, I'm afraid my career in architecture might go bye-bye.
    amen to that.

Thanks
    Video games are a medium to let the viewer not only watch but participate and have some form of influence. It entails many things depending on design. Most of the stuff you wouldn't be allowed, or capable to do, in real life. Why dismiss something like that?

I do admit though games are being dumbed down way too much than what their true potential can be. All entertainment can be used to either dumb down, inspire, influence, or brainwash any person in a society. It isn't the medium that's the problem but what influences how it is to be used.

To be completely technical, what we are talking about is simulated interactivity. A simulation of the real world is still a game (cause a game needs rules), and those rules are the mathematics and theories (as we understand them) we use to recreate a world to our liking. It can be used to teach, or to escape. How you create this game to influence the viewer is a group effort and an art in itself. If only most people looked at games the same way and respected it more as a medium that would allow other to not be afraid to be more creative with how they build them.
    Last edited by Costau D; May 3rd, 2009 at 08:14 PM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Interesting how this thread went in a different direction. ha,

Got this off a site.

Video/computer games...

* provide a fun and social form of entertainment

* encourage teamwork and cooperation when played with others

* make kids feel comfortable with technology—particularly important for girls, who don't use technology as much as boys

* increase children's self-confidence and self-esteem as they master games

* develop skills in reading, math, and problem-solving

* improve eye-hand coordination and fine motor skills

IMO, i don't think they're a waste of time. ( or at least for me) Because it helped me develop my art style. If it weren't for game/movie/entertainment exposure, my creativity level would have been limited and i wouldn't have been much motivated. The thought of possibly working one day on a concept team for the entertainment/movie/game industry just makes me push myself a lot harder. If it weren't for them, i would be drawing and creating art like 30-50 years ago, which is totally fine, but i would rather draw something else. I just love exploring and questing and fighting together. How each person in a party has a different job for the mission, where we have to work together. Cooperating together and think of a strategy. Every time i participate in one of those, i just get so exciteddddd! but Again, just my side.
    Last edited by rossipoo; May 3rd, 2009 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,279 Times in 625 Posts

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast