Thanks

at a job you hate

don't you ever wake up in the morning and start cussing about you going work in that shit job you have.( by shit job i mean a job that hardly pays and that you hate)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You're not trying hard enough

Thanks
    eh, he's in St. Lucia. May not have a whole lot of choice, without moving... which is of course always an option.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Well, when you are studying something you hate it's even worse, because you wake up in the morning and have to go at a place you don't like with people you don't like, listening things about topics that you don't care and / or don't like
    AND
    you're not paied at all, even sometimes, you HAVE to pay for this.

Life sucks, but there's a end to every things, even the bad ones! Cheer up and try to save your money to move!
    Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I had it like that for a while. Then one day I thought, "Hey I could just quit this shitty job any time I want!" and then I left. Never been happier.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iambanana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Okay. What's your plan? If you have a shitty job there's always a plan or a dream.

I have literally shovelled shit in my time.... the plus side is, it keeps your feet warm in winter!

Shitty jobs don't have to be forever. What's your dream?
    Last edited by alesoun; May 2nd, 2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    I studied to teach art, and now I'm teaching English language learners. It wouldn't be so bad if more of my students wanted to learn, but I'm having a hard time just talking over the ones who don't, and then a couple kids seem to have Tourette's Syndrome. For me the worst is starting in September and knowing it's going to last a year. At least I get a free trip to Sweden out of it.

I'm still planning what to do. I should add, I don't want to move from my town. It's beautiful, perfect for children, and I have some great family all around me. There just aren't any opportunities to teach art in regular schools. There are afternoon programs, but that's when I take care of my son, and future children. Until my wife can change jobs, at least.
    Last edited by TASmith; May 3rd, 2009 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks
    Let's just say that i am not exactly happy with where i am working now. But i can't quit, cause it's my bread and butter for my family. If i live on my own, i don't mind suffering for a while till i get a better job, but cash is really important right now.

Agreed with alesoun. Must have a plan, what you need to do every single day to make sure that as soon as the day ends you are a step closer to your dream. There might be a million steps, but you have to work towards it every single moment you can.

And when you are at work, try not to think about it to much and just tell yourself it's temporary and you will not live like that forever. Good luck with everything!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alesoun View Post
    Okay. What's your plan? If you have a shitty job there's always a plan or a dream.

I have literally shovelled shit in my time.... the plus side is, it keeps your feet warm in winter!

Shitty jobs don't have to be forever. What's your dream?
    don't know why but i had this dream of me sitting by the beach with a laptop working on something , don't know what but it looked like i was working but having a fun time .

my dream is to be able to do something i like and can be satisfied with

Thanks
    Thanked 6,748 Times in 4,648 Posts
    There are days I hate my job and other days when it’s okay. Being the main breadwinner for the family means I can’t shirk my responsibilities.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley
    Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    first, you are not trapped in your situation. You can get out of any situation you want if you are willing to take the pain of doing all the things you dont want to do..the long hard way. The fruitful way.

At seventeen I was homeless and orphaned, taking care of my fourteen year old brother who I somehow managed to keep in school. I had dropped out of school. I did two years of wasting time eventually trying to get my head on straight. At nineteen I was homeless again. Scraped together enough money to get my ass to arizona to study art. Got a temp apt to get me through to the end of the month and took a job at subway (applied all over til I found something). The subway job paid enough money to sometimes eat and pay my small studio rental. I went back to school to get my graduation and was working full time (thought I needed to graduate from HS to get into a good college). Trust me...it was fucking painful. I transferred to a community college the following year and slowly got better and better jobs. Worked telemarketing fundraising to afford a 1977 datsun and art supplies. Shittiest job ever but paid double what subway did. Worked three jobs during the summer to get caught up including going to alaska to work the salmon docks across the country. I did not give a shit what it was, if it paid for my goals to be met and didnt involve anything illegal, I did it.

As time went on I realized I needed to arrange my priorities again. I took a night time job so I could exhaust all my energies in my art and studies. Eventually got a job at AT&T...Att this is Jason how may I help you?...I was still far behind those who had life handed to them their whole life. However, I was catching up. In time I realized it was not a chase against others but to only my own race to my goals. Kept the nose down. Chose friends who worked on art or learning always. Ignored the time wasting folk who never will amount to anything other than regular. Grew up around enough of those to realize the difference. After three and a half years I took my first art job and quit my shit job...have lived with and from art ever since.

By the time I was 29 I had achieved every goal I had reached for when I first set out. That is when I realized it was time to set new goals...each time this happens it feels like starting over...get something done..start again...in time your life becomes what you want it to be. Even those of money have to do this if their life involves learning, skill, and growth. It is not money that holds people back...is just their own mind.

The hard part about certain situations is not everyone is told they can do and reach their goals if they just work their ass off starting RIGHT NOW. Some know it and wont work for whatever reason. They listen to that voice that says I want to chill and watch tv or i dont feel like it. Others have addictions or mental issues keeping them from growing and learning. I didnt want to be any of that. I wanted to do cool stuff...to have an interesting life...and to work in a creative way.

Hard manual labor growing up taught me that my mind would rot if I chose that kind of path. I wanted something to use my mind. Bored if not...and with boredom comes making trouble or distraction. Gotta turn that into work ethic...no choice. Carl Dobsky was telling me this about the atelier every day. It has to be just uncomfortable enough to make the coolest thing to do be art. If there is a blaring tv or anything else, than there are other options. Options that keep one from not working to reach their goals.

Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. You clearly are not complacent. So do something about it in every free second of your day. All this wandering around doing not a whole lot but thinking isn't getting you much done. It is however, giving you a taste of life many others would never have the guts to explore. Just dont stay down there too long without coming up for air.

Good luck,

Jason
    Oh hey, go back to the top and read this again and again and again. Then read it one more time.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Well, that's life for some, but that's why a good outlet is so essential. I like beer but I like sobriety more and still enjoy learning stuff even if it's not practically useful for earning a living at the moment.

So the only plan I could possibly have is to either have fun it joining in on some action with likeminded people even if they like beer more than I do and perhaps get really good at it or… perhaps magically end up making it a second career for money or just plot an evil scheme to screw with the world for freee.

That reminds me, there's allot of caricature and comic strip artists that have been prosecuted that can have their cases avenged. YEAHHHH!!!!

There is power in art.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Yep I'm in a shitty job that hate. But it's paying for my education in art and design. So that's a plus side. When I go to uni next year I'll just quit it. Simple I cant wait to hand back my uniform.

Thanks
    Chris Rock said best: You never have enough time to do a career you love. You have time to spare on a job you hate.
    "Time heals everything, except the waste of Time itself..."

Thanks
    Mr Muscle loves the jobs you hate.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    when you know that art it`s calling you? easy.....when you are sitting i your office thinking what a hell i`m doing here?

and your hands can`t stop drawing, thinking about art, trying to draw shit in 15 minutes of lunch time, also eating and reading Artnews magazine, dragging your tablet, sketchbook, pencils, everyday in a briefcase, hacking administrator accounts to installed softwares, risking you ass...is kinda fun ..

and keeping every part of the stupid warehouse i administrated cool...put shit ahead to have time and make some fast studies

i`m glad CA exist, thanks Jason Manley for give us your experience, and teach us that can be possible to reach our goals, you have balls dude!!

maybe this post is a mess, i need to clean my writing english, and maybe somebody will understand it...

this is my quote,

"people always is saying that perfection is unreacheable, they want to justify their lazzyness"

few days ago i was thinking i would like to participate more in CA but i barely got time for my shit,(artwork) thinking wrong about myself- i`m not good enough why bother, feeling lazy with the process of scaning, shooting resizing, etc..

but here i realized i got that time ......cool isn`t

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    My job doesn't suck.

No, it's not my chosen occupation, but it doesn't suck.

The people I'm FORCED to work with and the general atmosphere of the lack of any desire to strive for more in life, to actually have a purpose, is what makes it suck!

But, as I always say,

I'M WORKING ON IT.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director