Thanks

Travis Charest discussion/tribute...

hey everybody....travis charest kicks ass and a site with his work is www.travischarestgallery.com and you go there now and weep....beautiful....just beautiful....
    feel free to post pics, thoughts, stuff about x-men vs. wildcats....anything...
    Spok
    www.anatomyofthebrain.ca.tc

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    X-Men/Wildcats: The Golden Age has my favourite comic book art ever. The style is just so awesome and the colours fit the time period perfectly.

He is the man
    .: I am a Middle Class Member :.

Thanks
    yep, Charest is awesome. His pencil work is out of this world. I also like Adam Hughes, Amanda Conner, and of course Alex Ross. Cory Walker's 'Invincible' comic is also good; the art is simple but colorful and appealing. You can read an online version here.

Thanks
    Well he is not just a penciller...

IF you have seen his Dreamshifter Prints, he used acrylics tp paint those..Liquitex is his paint of choice...

He is an awesome draftsman and artist......

Thanks
    FIRST::::it does say Travis not alex hughs ect.........

i hate alex ross
    a water color hack who jumped on the comic book bandwagon way too much refrence..damn tracers. him and that fat guy who traced all of those punisher covers...yeah tim bradstreet thats his name.....tell him i did it and split it in 2-

TRAVIS is a gOD.....

amanda needs to go back to school- laufff

yeah Hughs Ghost is killer- pow--------->

poof*
    Last edited by shyst; December 26th, 2003 at 06:44 AM.
    ('.',)

Thanks
    Those dreamshifter pages make me wonder how alex ross gets more work than him. I wanna see him do something awesome RIGHT NOW

Thanks
    one more vote here for travis charest...great artist...fun to read comic books that don't rely entirely on big tits for sales.
    My Sketchbook

check out the website:

ten30one studios

Thanks
    travis charest is the reason why i work the way i do. he's my favorite.

-edit-- do any of you know if the metabarons he did came out in the states yet?
    Last edited by jrr; December 27th, 2003 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks
    http://www.marsimport.com/display_co...affiliateID=12

its in english and $9.

You could probably get it at midtown comics too.

Thanks
    ive been a fan of travis for a looooong time.
    the one and only art class ive ever taken was back in 1993. the teacher was a fellow by the name of peter gross, hes been an inker for many many years. well at that time, he was inking a book called darkstars (horrible book lol) and it was drawn by this new penciler named travis charest. so he was teaching us how to ink on these original pencils by travis. we would watch while he showed us the techniques. that always stuck with me , because even back then his art was very striking, and he had extremely clean pencil work.
    i think my favorite work of his was the x-men/wildcats crossover....amazing b&w work.
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    aawwww, Ross ain't no tracer...yes, he uses photo reference (he hires models to do photo shoots, as well as friends that dress up in costumes and such, then he takes polaroids and goes from there). The end of his new book Mythology has a step-by-step process telling how he does his work.

His style isn't the most dynamic or creative, but sometimes it fits with classic comic characters/stories like Superman and Wonder Woman.

Thanks
    I asked Humanoids publishing when that Metabarons book is supposed to come out and they had no idea. I think he has been working on it for the past two to three years.

The Alpha/Omega book only consists of ten pages of his work but it also has artwork by Moebius and Gimenez.

Thanks
    WOW! i totally don't remember starting this thread, but yeah! cool! you guys actually did post...but anywayz, yeah, i discovered travis by chance actually, looking throughcomics in this old comic store near the train station...so i'm basically looking through these comics, and i see this cover, nothing spectacular, coz it wasn't done by him, but i looked inside, and was amazed!!! and the best part, it cost a euro fifty, which is about 1.50$ so i bought it straight away, along with a few spawns, a 2 Team 7s...
    Spok

Thanks
    Anybody know when the metabaron is coming out? Hes been on the project for a few years now.

Thanks
    There's been a Metabaron book out there for a year with some of his work in it. He did the cover too.

Thanks
    a water color hack who jumped on the comic book bandwagon way too much refrence..damn tracers.
    Uhm.....NO.

If it were true how come there aren't more hacks and tracers as famous and as successful as Alex? Why no droves making eazy money for fame and fortune hacking and tracing? Not happening OBVIOUSLY, 'cuz what Alex and Horn are doing, that seem eazy to the ignorant, is in fact hard to immulate on a consistent and self-sustaining basis. :smiley_da

Try painting something tight in watercolor and find out first hand how challenging it is to control your washes and values.

Travis actually doesn't consider using refs to be beneath him. He actually advises it's use here: http://groups.msn.com/travischarest/...gpainting.msnw

Quote at the bottom: Don't use it as a crutch, but don't discount it's ability to give your drawing an impact and realism that's very difficult to achieve without reference.
    Last edited by FlipMcgee; July 26th, 2004 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks
    I love charest's works, he's the reason I got into wildcats. I bought each of the compilations that featured his art and a couple of posters. Brilliant stuff.
    "Es nat far meh, es far me maaah."
    "...Your wot?"
    "HIS MAAAH."

Thanks
    Travis is one of my biggest influences artistically. I used to be the biggest knock off of his work. I actually default stylistically to his stuff from time to time for some of his cooler textures that he uses. http://groups.msn.com/travischarest is where he hangs out. I lurk there allot but all the info you need about the Metabarons project entitled 'Dreamshifters'. He drops art up from time to time too.. it's a crying shame that we can't genetically engineer a faster version of him, I miss his WildC.A.T.S. work

-Mike

Thanks
    your momma's a tracer! Ross uses gouache anyway..

Travis is nuts.. you need to much batience to sit there with a mechanical pencil and hatch hatch hatch hatch hatch away like he does.. nuff respect

Thanks
    He has one of the most beautiful styles of any artist alive I wish he was as prolific as someone like Jim Lee or something ...

Thanks
    I lost interest in Charest new work awhile ago. He's much too slow to do regular comic work. I remember seeing info on his metabarons work like almost 3 years ago. How thick of a graphic novel is this gonna be? We'll have gone through two presidential elections before we finally see a finished book. Funny thing is that people will still flock to the stores and buy it even though they had to wait half a decade for it to arrive.

Thanks
    he's great. now if he could only meet deadlines...

Thanks
    I didnt really know about this guy. I had seen his work before, and it was nice to see his stuff again. I love these two pics
    pic 1
    pic 2

thx for making this thread!

-Iwasink
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    well, i was just on travischarestgallery.com and i saw the new posts...really amazing stuff...i agree with i.was.ink: edward scisorhands is amazing...
    Spok