Art: Captian America. . .jungle snake
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Captian America. . .jungle snake

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Captian America. . .jungle snake

I want to work in the comic book industry. This was one of my portfolio pieces. It is part of a larger story-but I liked this page. In the bottom Left panel-Caps left hand needs to be fixed-but aside from that I consider this finished--Hope you like. Please share your feed back--
    The style is extream-exagerated stylized body/muscles-smaller head, waist.
    Would you buy this comic if all it's pages were painted like this one?
    Should I make caps proportions closer to the norm super hero?

Should I change anything?
    CA has been a tremndous motivator for me. The tallent here is incredible.
    Cheers

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by steven6; May 3rd, 2009 at 12:40 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why is his head so tiny in the main pic?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Because he is so muscular and large. This Captian America is more of a characiture of a super hero. I've heard this before and it worries me that its not reading properly. I'll make some adjustments. Thanks!
    Think of him as a 7ft tall lanky basket ball player with wider shoulders, then add 450lbs of muscle.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It looks to me like you are missing some panels of action/story. First you have Cap (I assume) swinging from a vine, the vine breaks and he falls in the water. But then out of the blue, he is mid-battle with a snake. You need some more story there to show the snake swimming upon him, or maybe you see it's head peaking out of the water and then starting to wrap around him. But the way you have it, it's the climactic moment, but nothing leading up to it.

Also, since you asked...no, I probably wouldn't buy this comic. I'm a huge Captain America fan, and the thing I always liked about him is that he's a real human, with mostly real proportions. It obviously varies from artist to artist, but super serum didn't turn Cap into the Hulk, you know what I mean?

I just don't think it fits. Also, I don't know that you are quite ready to be exaggerating as much. People like Sam Keith (who is known for his over-the-top style) still have realistic proportions down pat before moving forward into caricature. I still see a lot of basic anatomy problems here and there that just tell me you need to work on more realistic anatomy and THEN develop your style from there.

Hope that helps!

-D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. I re-posted/changed the image above a little-traps and spine area, some other anatomy etc.

I know this is not the crit forum, but what anatomy exactly do you see problems with. Thanks--much appreciation
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first problem I noticed is that the details aren't placed in the optimal places: Caps back is rather out of focus, even though he's the hero. Instead, the detail is in the water splashing around him, and in the snake skin pattern.

Don't like the second and third panels. The water splash effects aren't quite right.

The super exaggerated body is an interesting idea, but maybe it looks more like a mistake in this case.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the snake, its beautifully rendered I find in the main panel it is the major focus though, I almost didn't see the dude in blue for 2 main reasons, one is the really really white out you have going with the lighting across his shoulders - he almost looks part of the scenery, and the second is the minuscule head - which I am lead to believe is ordinary size since we see it breaking the surface only one panel earlier.

Is it just me, or does he actually get bigger (or the snake smaller) in panel 5? Panel 4 suggests that the snake is ever so much bigger than him.

I love the comic gesture at the end of leaving it tied up though lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well you guys are right. I did this piece a while ago-and just fell in love with it, unfortunitially all the little problems started to add up, so now it's kinda F'd.
    Yes it does appear the snake has shrunk a bit in the last 2 panels-again it's F'd.
    While I excuse myself and drink large quantities tequila. . .are there any good panels of Cap?
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Dusty 100% regarding anatomy etc.
    Plus, marvel would never go with this style for such an iconic character. This over the top stuff would suit an original indy style comic or a submittion for Heavy Metal magazine.

The work has some appeal to me (it feels fun) but I actually wish there were a few more hards edges or lines to help create areas of focus.

Keep posting.

my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , visit them or a puppy dies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe blurring or repositioning the part of the snake between Caps leg? Funny image when I scrolled down and not see the snakes head.

The third panel kinda looks like Cap is wrapped in placenta? Why is that?

I love the 5th panel because it could stand alone as a cool pin-up. Like the Eagle vs. snake thing And I like the whole green scheme you used.

It would be nice to see the revisions based on the great crits above

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone's already hit the main areas of concern but I just want to make this point:

I don't know if I've ever seen an extremely exaggerated set of proportions that worked well with more or less realistic rendering. When I think of super-distorted proportions, I think of swooshing comic lines and stylized rendering. I don't know if what you want to create here can be achieved with this style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    I don't know if I've ever seen an extremely exaggerated set of proportions that worked well with more or less realistic rendering. When I think of super-distorted proportions, I think of swooshing comic lines and stylized rendering. I don't know if what you want to create here can be achieved with this style.
    i think Simon Bisley has made it work pretty well for the last 20 years actually
    or ariel olivetti

Last edited by TheGnoll; May 4th, 2009 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason Rainville,
    So are you saying my enviro looks more realistic and therefore doesn't fit/mix well with the super exagerated Captian A? And are you suggesting if I go with really exagerated charactors the enviros need to be just as exagerated? For me I gues thats the trick, I want for lack of a better comparrision Bisley esq. charactors-only more exagerated in my case-in realitivley realistic enviros. I'll post more variety so you guys can see.
    Cheers
    Thanks for the input!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.