Head Construction

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Head Construction

Just needing some advice, critique on this head (no reference). I've been practicing using, traditional head construction techniques and it ends up causing me problems I can't figure out. There is something about this head that bothers me aside from his stupid hair. Something in particular about his forehead, what do you guys think?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by g a m m o n; May 1st, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
    Visit my deviantart for more cosmicolor illustrations
    http://www.gammon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah his forehead is definitely too small.

Theres also a big problem going on around the corner of his lower jaw/ear area.
    Can you see it?

Basically the top of the ears should be aligned with the eyebrows not with the nostrils.

Its not using traditional head construction techniques thats causing you problems, its on the contrary the fact that you're not using them properly.

Except for that the symetry is not bad at all and alignement of the corners of the mouth, eyes etc looks good.
    (His ear looks flat but that can be fixed easily especially with some reference.)

If you have a hard time seeing what i described about his jaw, flip the picture horizontally in toshop and im sure itll make it a tad more obvious already.

Otherwise let me know if you think a paintover could help.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For a completely imaginative head, that's really good. The only huge problem I see is the placement of the ear. Other than that, his hairline could be a little higher, his left eye could come in a bit, the right corner of his mouth could curve back a bit, and the center of his nose could go up a tiny bit. Also, you might want to define the forms and structure around his mouth a bit more.
    EDIT: Checked out your FF thread, great stuff, but ear placement is something you seem to have consistent issues with.

Last edited by Elwell; May 1st, 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is a great head considering you didn't use reference! but why not just use reference?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm thanks Elwell and S.M. I've had a recent problem with ear alignment. I may be setting the vanishing point too low in contrast with how upturned the face is. I don't know where I went wrong on this one, next one I'll def have to pay more attn.

About the ear to eyebrow thing, I know about that and tried to pay attn to its placement, but my perspective guidelines were too deep and too wrong, heh. What do you think it should look like S.M?

And about not using reference, its so I can draw without the confines of having to rely on it in particular. This is especially important in comics (which is what I hope to do) when you will be drawing poses that would be typically hard to capture. It also comes in very handy upon creating and replicating characters.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't understand. Surely the more you draw from ref, the easier it becomes to draw without ref because the shapes/weight/line/perspective become second nature to you?

Like, doing it becomes commited to muscle memory?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by alesoun View Post
    I don't understand. Surely the more you draw from ref, the easier it becomes to draw without ref because the shapes/weight/line/perspective become second nature to you?

Like, doing it becomes commited to muscle memory?
    O, of course you would practice from ref many times before hand. This was an attempt with my current knowledge to do an image without. I thought you meant why draw without reference ever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drawing looks very good to me. Judging by eye, I'd say it looks fine.

If one wants to take a more analytical approach, comparing the drawing with a 3D maquette of more-or-less normal proportions (attached below) indicates the brow line and eyes in the drawing are much higher than they should be. Take it for what it's worth. Also, when placing the ear I've often found it useful to viusalize the head as a box--the ear occupies the same vertical space on the side plane as the distance between eyes and mouth on the front plane (other JPG also attached.)

Head Construction

Head Construction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me proportions of the original head look alot more natural than those of the maquette you posted. And isn't "ear occupies the same vertical space on the side plane as the distance between eyes and mouth" wrong? Most of the times it's between brow ridge and bottom of the nose.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mihail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the eyebrows are not symmetrical but natural due to possible faint expression.

The tails as they curve around the corners of the head, the one on the right side or the visible side of his head is too high.

I think you did the hair and the relationship of the hairline was affected by the feeling of the brows. The hiarline plane seem to come in towards us a little. It needs to be facing forward.

Tried to fix it roughly. Rotating the brow a little and bringing it in to the center a little. Then shaved his hairline a little just to allighn it

It's easy to spot the problem looking at the tumbnail on this thread.

Last edited by George Abraham; May 7th, 2009 at 09:45 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O, hey thanks guys, the last hairline fix was pretty helpful. Shoulda looked at that more carefully. The 3D model was also helpful in ways thx!

Members who have read this thread: 4