Acid on Lino (Or is it the other way around...?)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Acid on Lino (Or is it the other way around...?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Acid on Lino (Or is it the other way around...?)

So, this is a design for a lino print that I'm going to do it college. I wanna know what you guys think of it - the way I handled the positive/negative space, any advice on cutting the lino so I dont screw it up, the practicality and feasability of the design...

Also, I'm planning to use this sort of colouring in a comic, do you think that would work out okay or should I just stick to hatching and stuff?

(I have more designs and the initial, non-inked drawing too. Let me know if you'd like me to post them!)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've only worked once with Lino, and that was like so long ago.

Is there no way of adding paws holding knife and fork in there?
    The shoulders takes the brunt of the secondary gesture of salvating, it
    feels like it should be left out, that, or the shoulders are too
    big all together. ??? (personal choice though, I think)

Else your other works are also nice. You work with coloured pencils right?
    Ever try running a sharpen in Photoshop on a few of them, see how it looks?
    Experiment if you've not done so.

cheers FW.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    acid? i do not understand what you mean by 'acid on lino', ive never heard of anyone using chemicals to burn an image on linoleum.

some of the thinner lines may pose as a problem (espescially if this is your first relief print). in addition to carving tools i use an exacto knife and cut around all of the contours of the positive lines (the black areas). this causes the carving tools to hit the cut 'groove' in the linoleum. always have a 'slope' bevel leading up to your solid areas, its always better to err on he side of caution. lemme know if that is confusing, i'll whip up a diagram.

if youre having trouble cutting the linoleum, make sure to sharpen your tools. you should never force the carving with any great effort, that is how mistakes are made. you can make the linoluem a bit softer and easier to work with by heating it up (nothing passed being too hot to touch).

compositionally i think the border needs more attention to it. right now it is a nondescript blob shape that doesnt really add anything to the image. also the figure sort of dissolved midway into nothingness. this feels mor elike a sketch than a fully thought throug finished image. perhaps add some background elements or have the figure seated at a table, or something. i'm thinkin gof this like a salivating wolf in a tex avery cartoon making googley eyes at some scantily clad female.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits. The term "acid" is referring to the fact that my character enjoys dabbling with recreational drugs, I thought it'd be a funny title, but I can see how this can cause confusion. ^^;

The border and fade was intentional. I wanted to create a simple but psychadelic effect to portay the drug-induced visions that my character experiences. Perhaps her expression isn't so clear either...

Thanks for the cutting advice Grief! I've got all the right tools to do that. I'll let you know how it goes ^_^

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.