Intuos 4 Impressions

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Intuos 4 Impressions

Well, I've been using my new Intuos 4 for about a week now. I wanted to give myself some time on it before writing anything.

My first impression when I first opened the box was that this was a very attractive tablet. Even the packaging was very classy

The new button layout with light-up descriptions, multiple touch bar modes, 2 usb inserts, and nice array of nibs (and the smart container design) were a big hit for me.

I spent a good amount of time trying different button configurations and I can see the benefit of using this. However, my previous tablet was an Intuos 1 with no buttons, so I just ended up going back to using keyboard shortcuts out of habit. I do prefer this new button layout to the previous layout in 3, which I always ended up hitting on accident.

The tablet also has a different tooth, I believe. I'm still getting used to this new feel, but it simulates paper or similar surfaces more than just drawing on plastic. I'm still not sure if I like it or not - at first it was actually bothering me a little, but I'm starting to get used to it. What might be a cool feature in the future would be the ability to change out the protective slip for ones with different surfaces.

Now, what is really cool is the extra level of pressure sensitivity (especially switching from an Intuos 1!)

So if anyone's looking for a new tablet, I give a thumbs up for the Intuos 4. It's smart new design is a big selling point for me as it just fixes a lot of problems I had with the previous model while also improving upon all of the existing features. You can't go wrong

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to see you enjoying the tablet, it feels like some "secret handshake" club when intuos4 owners talk to each other in some ways

Yeah the button layout takes getting used to (I mean if you're using the older intuos to ones with buttons).

One way of practicing or getting the most out of my buttons was taking note which shortcuts I reached for the most. I programmed them into my tablet, then moved the keyboard way off to keep drawing. It forced me to remember that the button configuration was on my tablet.

I'd also start noticing by habit which buttons on the tablet I'd reach for the most - example: express key over a touch ring. That way I'd program the most used shortcuts into those keys.

Some buttons I left at the default like the help menu and Display toggle - especially since I use a dual monitor setup and Display Toggle is one of my most used keys.

Out of curiosity, which size did you end up purchasing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the review Chan man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using the 9x12 size.

I did program all of the buttons to my most frequently used... but unfortunately I use more shortcuts than there are buttons So, as close as I got it to my favorite hot keys, I would eventually still need to reach for the keyboard, and once I did that habit took over and I just left my hand on the keyboard No big deal, I just use a lot of hot keys. The buttons work great, otherwise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm Jason Chan and I approve this product!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.