Should I get the large or the medium I4?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Should I get the large or the medium I4?

I use it to digitally paint and I've used the inutos line for 6 years or so. I'm used to a 6x8 size, but I need to know is large better in any way if I'm not concerned about the price? I know you lose a slight amount of space vertically with the medium version with what I'm used to, do you think that lost will be noticable?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the large gives you room to draw with your arm. If you care about that then go for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 556 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have been agonizing over this too as so many seem to be going for the large I4 this time whereas most seem to have been using A5 I3s before (I think??)

When I first started using intuos tablets many years ago I started on the A4 I2 then had to give it back to the person who had bought it for a specific job. I was sure I'd struggle with the A5 I2 as it was all I could afford at the time. Thing is I actually preferred the A5 as it gave me more desk space and found no problems with the reduction in drawing area. I upgraded to the A5 I3 last year but due to a lot of issues with it and multiple replacements until it was relatively comfortable to use I'm planning to go for the I4 asap.... lol sorry that was a very long-winded way of getting to the point!

So - thing is I have my I3 set to 'force proportions' for my widescreen monitor - did a little measuring and in fact if I were to purchase the Medium I4 I would actually have a larger drawing area than I use now - about 1cm more on height and 2cm more on width - I think your only problem could be if you have a non-widescreen monitor and set it to 'force proportions' with the I4 - that way you could lose a little active area over the A5/6x8.

I3 - active area approx 15cmx20cm
    I3 - with force proportions on for me - approx 13x20cm
    I4 - active area approx 14cmx22cm

of course Large I4 will have a huge amount more space (approx 20cmx32cm) but if you're comfortable with the A5 at the moment ... :looks on ebay: O_0 ooh that's a good deal on a Large I4 ... doh! >_< ... @_@;; I still haven't decided but hope the info is helpful!

Last edited by The7Artist7; April 30th, 2009 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont have a widescreen monitor but I can set the resolution to be widescreen so I don't think it matters, but please correct me if I'm wrong because that would affect my decision even more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 556 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest if you must upgrade to the I4 and if money is no object then I'd go for the Large if you have the desk-space.

As far as the widescreen monitor issue is concerned - it's up to you but personally I'd keep the monitor at native resolution if it's a long term situation but it's your choice... again the Large is by far your best option here with 'force proportions' on.

All depends how important getting an I4 is and why - the medium will only end out being a little less active area but should be fine. The large will have plenty of active area but will be physically big on your desk and more expensive.

At the end of the day we can't make your decisions for you but I really hope the info and suggestions have been helpful for you to be able to decide

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.