Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 561 Posts

Thumbs up Jon Stewart debates torture with Cliff May

It's kind of a long viewing, but very worth it. I'm about half way in but "wow". I havent seen Jon Stewart so passionately debate anything in this manner, in quite awhile.

John Stewart Vs Cliff May on torture, i don't need to say more, the video speaks for itself:

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    non hulu links pls.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyskoa View Post
    non hulu links pls.
    I tried to get youtube links but couldn't find any. Try this one.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

chriskot is offline non-dishwasher safe, keep away from open flame
    Thanks
    I don't know about the rest of the non-American world, but here's a link for us Canadians:
    http://watch.thecomedynetwork.ca/the...terview-uncut/

Last edited by chriskot; April 30th, 2009 at 05:21 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chriskot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I hope he keeps this stuff up. 4 / 5 years ago Stewart would'nt let an interview go without seriously voicing a strong opinion or something. Hopefully he just keeps more topics that hit him so strongly.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Glad to see Jon still has it in him. I miss his "vs Crossfire" days!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by himlayan View Post
    Glad to see Jon still has it in him. I miss his "vs Crossfire" days!
    Did you see his interview with Jim Cramer from 'Mad Money'? Talk about awkward to watch. I couldn't help but to imagine that the whole time Cramer was squirming, he couldn't stop thinking of crossfire's cancellation after Stewart's appearance.

I love when Daily Show aims its guns at the desperate, obnoxious spectacle of the 24-hour news networks and their bloated talking heads.

part 1

part 2

part 3

Thanks
    What's clear in this conversation is that Cliff May has actually read the torture memos and John Stewart has not. At least Stewart does not rebut this assertion at the beginning.

It's interesting that Stewart's bottom line is that we shouldn't 'torture' because A). We signed the Geneva Convention and B). We're the US and we don't 'torture' because we're better than that. May goes on to quote the actual wording of the Geneva convention, which essentially says the US cannot inflict 'discomfort'. Stewart waffles and logical mayhem ensues. It seemed to me that Stewart was clearly outmatched in this debate and hasn't thought this out all the way through. He's thinking with emotion, not logic.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever watched the Buckley-Chomskey debates? It's so serene and polite. Modern news has devolved to a point where the Daily Show is now considered a valid forum for debate, even if it resembles the Collesium.

Thanks
    yes I find it sad that poeple in my generation are forced to run to a tool like John Stewart for their news/politics.

Last edited by Blahm; May 1st, 2009 at 01:42 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    I disagree with all of you, it makes me feel intelligent for doing so.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I thought they were both fairly polite and had a healthy humor about the whole thing. They got close to getting a little heated at times but they always kept it respectful, which is good. Especially when you compare it to some Bill O'Reilly debates which seem to be nothing more than O'Reilly putting his fingers in his ears and saying "you're wrong! you're wrong! you're wrong! I'm right! lalalala I can't heeeear you"

Anyway they both made valid arguments but I'm leaning more with John on this one

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straight Edge Ryan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elam View Post
    What's clear in this conversation is that Cliff May has actually read the torture memos and John Stewart has not. At least Stewart does not rebut this assertion at the beginning.

It's interesting that Stewart's bottom line is that we shouldn't 'torture' because A). We signed the Geneva Convention and B). We're the US and we don't 'torture' because we're better than that. May goes on to quote the actual wording of the Geneva convention, which essentially says the US cannot inflict 'discomfort'. Stewart waffles and logical mayhem ensues. It seemed to me that Stewart was clearly outmatched in this debate and hasn't thought this out all the way through. He's thinking with emotion, not logic.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever watched the Buckley-Chomskey debates? It's so serene and polite. Modern news has devolved to a point where the Daily Show is now considered a valid forum for debate, even if it resembles the Collesium.
    So you believe that torturing people is "logic"? Cliff May's responses have me think that his position is based more on vengeance than on logic. He is using the Torture Memo's as some way of justifying revenge on an unarmed prisoner.
    Regardless if Jon Stewart read the Geneva conventions or not, his position would remain the same. Which is that we shouldn't be torturing people in captivity, period. And I agree with him. And yes, I would classify waterboarding as "discomfort", as noted by the GC. (I know this is an oxymoron, but there is still a code of honor in war.)

edit: I would rather that the youth plug into the satire of Stewart's show, than the the direct manipulation offered by the likes of Fox snooze and Rush Lim-bag.

Last edited by James Kei; May 1st, 2009 at 02:26 PM.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to James Kei For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.