Team Chow :: VOTING - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: And who shall rule them all?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • Team Chow :: VOTING

4 1.63%

112 45.71%

28 11.43%

8 3.27%

40 16.33%

24 9.80%

94 38.37%

18 7.35%

6 2.45%

6 2.45%

36 14.69%

24 9.80%

4 1.63%

112 45.71%

52 21.22%

61 24.90%

27 11.02%

49 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Team Chow :: VOTING

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work guys, I also voted for almost every one... just could not decide

“Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nele Klumpe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!! This was fun, very fun!! I do hope to do it again, and I learned so much!! @_@ I thought to restrict my voting this time around, but there are some I would've voted for...I see some people just gave everyone a vote; how shweet of you guys!

Vorace, thanks for the advice on Sugah Face's entry! You're correct in my view, and it's something we'll probably look harder at in the future!

Anyone else with advice on ours, I'd sure love to hear it! I'm sure we'll plan things out better the next chance we get. Maybe we'll bring in things about the characters' setting that would unify them more. We didn't get to delve enough into how certain aspects of the "world" are common in the actual clothes, but we were pretty close!

Okay, here's feedback for everyone!

---

Art Soda: I think your ideas were coming along very nicely! Looks like the character ideas were well thought out. I think the rendering could've been pushed more. They look rather incomplete. Also, the linework on one of them and not others makes it look as though that one was pasted to the page.

Team Baguette: You guys did a spectacular job with the character design!! I voted for you guys; I really liked your designs and the snow environment they're in; it looks tough. What's interesting is that these ones all look like they could hold their own. I hadn't realized before, but in that case, they seem like heroes that are more likely to be apart, not together.

Team CATL: Great design work, and very cool rendering!! Though the ones standing in the back look out-of-place, especially the one on our left! Perhaps their rendering isn't quite consistent with the rendering of the other characters. I'm not sure what would make the left one appear more part of the team.

Crumpets In Pain: I love your style, the characters look very animated!! Well done! I voted for you too! I think they're very consistent, looking together and like a cast of main characters. Ha!

Dark Yellow Ghost Robots: Once again, really nice details! There's little to say, I think they look like a powerful team!

Double Impact: I wish I could see Shadow's face, otherwise, I'm liking the team here! Well rendered, and cool strength emitting from the characters in some way!! Very nice!

Team Grogro Zoo: Your entry is probably my favourite because it's so fun looking!! You got my vote as well! I love furry style, too!! I especially like how their posture and characteristics really bring out each part of the team!! I think I'd love to play THAT game!

Insomniacs: They're coming from all walks of life! I suppose because of the backgrounds, they look more disjoint than team-like. I do love their design, though! Rendering in some cases could be pushed more (maybe not focusing on the environments as much would help there), but I do like how you brought out the colours in each!

Random Team #1: Now these ones look disjoint, but again, I could wonder how their lives coincide. I'm unsure of how they would be as a team. Besides the rain, I don't see how they fit together. However, "misfits" can be a most awesome group! Rendering is good too, and I believe their expressions bring out the characters. The Sage, however, is so mysterious! XD Dunno if that's bad or good!

Team Subway Gropes: I like your ideas and designs! Very cool colours and style. Still, without the words, it would be a bit hard to tell who's who, like in the Protector's case. Like roles COULD be switched. This team also looks apart, for some look more serious than others as if in another "show" or "game".

The Gurren Brigade: Whooo!! Fantastic details, but they seem all over the place, even standing together! O_O My eyes are overwhelmed. You guys did some nutsy details, I must say! Again, a couple of them appear like they can take on other roles. That may be good, but I think I'd like to see more of what makes them specifically "technician", "protector", etc. Still, awesome job on the whole of them, because they look very well thought out!

Nightstalker: I loved your guys' idea! Would make for an interesting cartoon! XD I gotta say, that Rabble Rouse doesn't make me think "Rabble Rouser" at all! In fact, he could rival Shadow in role. Something to be careful of, I suppose. Your protector, Suesie, I cannot forget. She makes me giggle!

Team Zaxxon: You guys are nuts. O_O I read that you work together anyway, so that totally works in your favour! They're well developed, look good as a team. I'm not exactly for the strange faded job you did on the protector in back. In fact, some of them you used that fade, but it's done in a way that I think takes away from the characters. Since they're all main characters anyway, you probably don't need to worry about that! I'm just so impressed by how you brought out the details so nicely, I guess it disappointed me to see the fades.

What Would Tyler Durden Do: Crazy team name. *snort* Beautiful black 'n' white renderings!! I'm very impressed, and I think you guys have some of the strongest characters. Strangely, it looks like the Hero and Protector are working together most, and making the others fall back. It might be the stances they're all in. Three of them appear to just be hangin', waiting for something. I love that Rabble Rouser's stance, I must say! He's almost being a faker, what a trickster!

The Weird Sisters: I loved yours when I first looked at it, so I voted for it! I think they look very much in one setting, one story that I can actually picture being made! Putting them together in that environment really worked, and they all seem to have some place in the team! My favourite characters are the Hero and Rabble Rouser. Ha! Technician is funny, and I could tell before reading, that she's a goblin. XD I like your mix of humans and others.

Team Nasty Sausages: Another great rendering! I don't know how together they'd really be on a team...and two of them look more like brothers! Must be the hair. Perhaps that they'd have to be on a team would probably bring the life out of each, and we'd see just how passionate they are about whatever cause they have.

Team Orange Soup: I like your idea, once again! I like the thought you put into your characters. They look pretty together, and the environment is nicely done for them!! You did your research, I can see it very clearly! The characters may look together, but I love how distinct they are in appearance and expression!

5. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Jazz For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i will to crits for everyones by the end of the week

Also in my haste I forgot to add Ben Cardwell to the copy right info.....my bad dude.

(c) James Cory Webster, Ben Cardwell

JazzW, Vorce :: thank you for the feedback

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, GREAT JOB everyone! This was NOT easy, and if you made it to the end, you're full of win.

I voted for Team Baguette (excellent theme and painterly execution) and Team GroGroZoo (they made me smile, big-time.) If I have time, I'll give a nod to each and every entry! *thumbs up*

“The moment you think you understand a great work of art, it's dead for you.”~Oscar Wilde
    My Inglorious Portfolio!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quickreaver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ArtSoda - I like the ideas I was beginning to see here. I think a little bit more of organization could've helped maybe? As others have said, they look a bit incomplete.

Team Baguette - wow, really consistent all the way through and I like how each of their personalities shine also. That looks like one tough world to live on.

Team CATL - liked the characters. And very nice renderings. The technician doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the group though, like you remembered her at the last minute.

Crumpet N Pain - One of the ones that I mistakenly didn't vote for, sorry guys, I was getting a little confused with the boxes. Love your styles and I reallylike how I can tell who they are by just glancing. Lots of character in these.

TeamDarkYellowGhostRobots - nice rendering and characters. my only crit is on the composition. Everything draws your eyes to the left, where Sage is almost cut off. If you had added one more building to the right and maybe brought them a little to the right, it would've let my eyes run down them better.

Double Impact - I like how their powers go with them. I would have liked to have seen more of their character. Maybe a few more identifying props or even different facial expressions. But good consistency.

Team Grogrozoo - I loved your characters, they were adorable. I think that was one I might have missed in the voting too. Sorry about that. I should have gone slower.

Insomniacs - liked the ideas, but the characters are not very clear. Some seem more finished or finished differently than the others too.

Random 1 - It has a few cohesion issues. The hero and tech look to be from a different, brighter place than the others. But I can see some good ideas in there. I like your Rabble rouser.

Team Subway Gropers - I don't really see any cohesive unit in here. Some characters seem to have been taken in a more serious direction than others.

The Gurren Brigade - I like the ideas, not quite finished I see, but really cool nonetheless. I love how you managed to get the personalities to come forth as well.

Nightstalker - definitely interesting idea, I'm not exactly clear on where they're supposed to be, but I have a feeling that's the point maybe?

Team Zaxxon - very cool renderings, and it's awesome that you got that level of stuff done in the that amount of time. However, I think they are a bit generic and a bit too much like each other. There isn't a lot of personality coming from them that I think would've been there had you started sooner.

WhatWouldTylerDurdenDo? - I loved yours. All their personalities came out, their physicality met the brief, it was cohesive. Good job.

The Weird Sisters - same as Tyler, loved yours. All their personalities were easy to see, they physically met the brief, it was cohesive. And the presentation was awesome as well. Good job.

TeamNastySausages - very nice. A few details, like Vorace said, could've been pushed. But overall, very nice.

Team Orange Soup - well researched, loved the characters. Only crit, Shadow doesn't seem to be as finished as the others and that detracts from the overall presentation.

Oh, and Vorace thank you so much for the crits! Looking back, I agree. There was a lot of things that we should've done at the very beginning that would've made for a better end.

10. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MJ_Alcazar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Team grogrozoo totally and completely rules this contest. I wish I could give them more than one vote! Thank you everyone in that team for the viewing pleasure you gave me! So much fun, and so well done! Rhyme not intended!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted GroGroZoo and Zaxxon...but my vote hasnt seemed to've gone in.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nope Kian your vote went in. However, you accidentally checked the wrong boxes your votes got added to What Would Tyler Durden Do? and Insomniacs the teams right below the ones you meant to vote for

maybe Daestwen can change that for you if you ask her nicely

WARNING!!!!!
    WAAAAAY WAAAAAY way out of Date!

My Sketch Book
    TEAM CHOW I
    TEAM CHOW III
    I'm always trying to improve.
    Any help, encouragement, crits,
    or comments are greatly appreciated!
    Please let me know what you think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Adam.
    Daestwen, is there any chance my vote can be moved? pleeease

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The weird Sisters: one of the best combination of different yet coherent characters, great rendering and an extra compliment for the one(s) who designed the overal look. Best char: Hero and Shadow.
    Team Nightstalker: nice team but I think the characters are to different in style. Great presentation though with the silhouets and the stories. Favs are technician and shadow.
    Random team #1: Best team name. Very smart to think of the rain as a blending tool.. Fav char: Sage, its weird.
    Team Crumpets N Pain: you guys must have worked as a great team, the characters look like they come out of the same storybook. Looking at it closer I think I should’ve given you guys my vote too, sorry. Fav Char: Rabble Rouser.
    Team GrogroZoo: Great concept but not what I had in mind reading the topic, prob my mind is too limited. Fav Char: Sage and Technician, they are hilarious.
    Insomniacs: The cold environments work great as a combining element. The rendering could be better here and there. Fav Char: Hero.
    Art Soda: nice wild west theme that could have been pushed a little further. Rendering could be better. Fav Char: Shadow.
    DarkYellowGhostRobots: these Outsiders realy form a team, its not immediatly obvious different artist worked on these characters. The story of the Hero is reading on her face. Fav Char: Hero, Rabble rouser and Shadow.
    Team Zaxxon: obviously pros at work, love it, its just great. Only the protector would be immediatly recognisable, the rest could be switched. Fav Char: All.
    Team Baguette: drooool, my favourit team. Shadow looks more like a protector then the protector. Fav Char: All.
    Team Sugah Face: directly recognisable characters, rendering could improve. Fav Char: Sage.
    Double Impact: looks all characters are made by one person, very good. Definatly one of the best teams imo. Fav Char: sage and technician.
    Team Nasty Sausages: same heere, only done by three persons, its a very coherent team and no trouble with the who is who question. Fav Char: Protector and sage.
    Team WWTDD: also a team of two persons so a more coherent team. in color this could be one of the best. Fav Char: Shadow and Rabble rouser.
    Gurren Brigade: individualy the best technician, also love the shadow. The two graytones look great but set the whole picture a bit back. Fav Char: Technician.
    Team Subway Gropers: looking too far apart to be a team, can't find the red wire. Fav Char: Protector.
    Team Catl: simple but effective presentation, individually the best Hero imo. Technician looks like a nurce. Fav Char Hero (beautiful face) and protector.

Compliments to all participants for the hard work and thanks Daestwen for pulling this out of your sleeve.

19. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Tommoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like things about everybody's work. If I leave people out here it doesn't mean I didn't look. It means I couldn't think of anything to say that I thought would help.

Weird Sisters- great presentation and the presentation saved the commonality of the set which I wasn't entirely sure about otherwise.
    nightstalker-Since the characters are not even from the same timeline It's really hard to draw this set together and view them as our plucky crew of adventurers from the brief. There were issues of divergent artist style too.
    Random Team #1- There is some subtlety here and I am impressed by that. It was a great idea to show the split sides of the Hero's personality in the mirror. I am not sure how many people are picking up on that.
    GoGroZoo- This one doesn't really sing to me but I can't really say why. I was probably born without the cuteness gene. What I liked is that you remembered the brief, and so the sage is a different species from the others. (and of course the hockey stick, but everybody likes hockey sticks).
    Insomniacs- Where it is most obvious to me that different people did different characters is in the area of the clothing folds.
    Art Soda- The space carnival idea is interesting. The different drawing styles lead to a reduction of uniformity across the character set.
    Dark Yellow Ghost Robots- These hang together and I couldn't see any stylistic unevenness. Also some nice work at staging and presentation.
    Zaxxon-For two or three days work this is stupendous. Cool poses and armor. Personality is not really there on helmeted beings and so they grow closer to "units" or "items" rather than "characters".
    Baguette- I just keep thinking how hard it must be to trudge through snow in giant metal boots. Very cool rendering though and atmospheric backdrops.
    Sugah Face- Nice presentation. I had to look through your thread to figure out what time and space was being represented, which you might have helped by giving them some cliche gadgets or clothes. It's a tough call deciding how far to go with the cliche gadgets and clothes though, I know.
    Orange Soup- Daring and creative. stands apart from the others about your vision of the time and space.
    Double Impact- Everybody basically has the same expression. Why not put the "character" into characters?
    Nasty Sausages- Good cohesion, I thought. Stands out for the style of the ideas.
    WWTDD- This is pretty cool and hangs together. It's kind of about what I would expect from the particular genre, but that can be a good thing.
    Gurren Brigade- Stylish and creative, but it requires a lot of attention in order to "get it".
    Subway Gropers- I look at this character and I think of a Harlan Ellison story. I look at that character and I think of Cordwainer Smith. I look at another and I think of the first Heavy Metal Movie. I look at another and I think of cyberpunk. There was a clearly identifiable science future genre here, but the lacking seems to have been in the area of "style" in the sense of having the fashions, or accessories, or apparent social class of the characters tie them together in this timeline somehow. Some may characterize that as Art Direction I suppose, or visual futurism. Philip K. Dick might have called it "Pre-fash consultation." How does everybody look and dress in those days? Coolest group thumbnail.
    CATL- Here I see that attention to a uniformity of near future style that I was just talking about. I look at the Rabble Rouser and I think he ought to be the shadow. I look at the Shadow and want him to be the Rabble Rouser. The other characters make reasonable sense to me, though.

Last edited by arttorney; May 5th, 2009 at 11:26 AM.

21. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for team Zaxxon and it registered as the "What Would Tyler Durden Do". Can you change my vote to the appropriate team?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Undertow, Kian: votes changed.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for :
    Gurren Brigade : Loved your techie so far, and also that the protector is a huge woman, very nice execution, even if it's not finished i loved your ideas.
    Also for the Baguette boys but seems that my vote didn't worked (Could you add mine please Deastwen? :/) Well Baguette guys, i have a bit of troubles to recognize some of the chars (Shadow looks a bit too protector, because of the gun and huge silouhette, and the sage really looks like Shadow to me) tho it's very well done and they have all personality anyway. And i love you all, so you got my vote! (hoping Dea will correct my mistake)
    I also liked Nasty sausage's, not the most spectacular, but it's very coherent, has some nice ideas and follows the brief.

I wish i could comment deeply for you all, aaaah you have so much courage to type all this, guys!
    I'm gonna try to be fair! and honest, my point is not to hurt you, and i'm probably wrong, but that's my humble crits

:

So, to be fast, i asked my self simple questions like :

-can i identify all the characters without reading their name?
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief?
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc)
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever?
    -is this appealing?
    -is this original?
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece?

So, here we go :

:: Art soda ::
    -can i identify all the characters without reading their name? yeah
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? i can't really see expressions or little details to help for that, but overall it's ok
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) the technician and especially the rabble rouser look different of the others. Also watch out the heads, even if there could be anatomical difference between them, they are all humans, some of them really have huge skulls.
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? not really to me, the costumes seem to come from different periods, and the graphic difference between them doesn't help.
    -is this appealing? the background brings the piece down to me... :/
    -is this original? yes
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? no, the type is the first thing i see, before the chars them selves, and the bg make them flat.

:: Team Baguette ::
    -can i identify all the characters without reading their name? hummmm as i said, not sure..
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? yes, tho the hero would deserve to have more expression maybe, but she is my favorite anyway.
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) yeah!
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? yes
    -is this appealing? yes!
    -is this original? well, it's maybe not the most original SF stuff but the winter enviro is cool. And i like the Sage eyes, reminds me Dune but in green!
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? yeah fine. And i love borealis aurora.

:: Team CATL ::
    -can i identify all the characters without reading their name? no :/ which one is the hero?? i thought...
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? not much, some poses are interesting to give personality tho.. Also the helmet doesn't help for this.
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) yes
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? yes
    -is this appealing? it looks a bit like you missed more time but it could be nice, interesting limited palette
    -is this original? not the highest rate here
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? naah, how comes that colored type? it doesn't fit with your graphic choices at all, and the blurred elipse which is their shadow is strange too.. maybe it would be better to draw their shadows..

:: Crumpets n pain ::
    -can i identify all the characters without reading their name? yes
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? yeah, but the less expressive is maybe the hero, which is strange! she is maybe the most important.
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) yes, the line, colors, renders etc really look coherent
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? yup
    -is this appealing? it could be improved but i'd say yes
    -is this original? yes
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? the bg is the most simple, so it doenst really emphasize your characters but at least it doenst eat them.

:: The outsiders ::
    -can i identify all the characters without reading their name? not sure between the shadow and sage, probably because of the alien hands of shadow, and the sage looking more similar to the others human than the shadow. Both have creepy silouhettes and dark outfit, so it's not very clear
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? yes, especially the hero, tho i would imagine her with a less evident killer instinct, that capable of killing thing scares her after all... yours look to confident with that.
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) yeah, the commun enviro behind them is a good point too.
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? yeah
    -is this appealing? not my cup of tea i must admit, but trying to be objective it's well done, so i would say yes.
    -is this original? haaamm, post apocalypse 4 ever.. not the most original entry for me hehe
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? yes, it's sober, works well.

:: Double impact ::
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? not for all but it works, tho i don't understand that shadow, he looks like the dark ennemy boss or something, and he has no face..
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) yeah except shadow
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? idem
    -is this appealing? yes, ok
    -is this original? not much
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? yes, clean

:: Insomniacs ::
    -can i identify all the characters without reading their name? nope, i had a hard time
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? from my previous answer, i would say no
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) the green character seems to be in a different enviro but overall it works, tho it's a bit hard to get the universe
    -is this appealing? several things : the pose are a bit stiff, the fog you did looks too blurry and flat, and there is anatomy / lighting / rendering issues
    -is this original? yeah
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? could be improved i think

:: Random team 1 ::
    -can i identify all the characters without reading their name? yup
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? yes, quite good, i liked the idea of shadow watching to the hero holographic picture
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) yes, but some points bother me a bit. i think that your sage looks too different, i know it was in the brief to make him come from a different country or planet, but it's maybe too far there. And the protector is the only one zoomed! The rain make the others coherent tho.
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? oops, already answered this, it was the sage thing.
    -is this appealing? your colors look a bit dirty, and the anatomy is a bit off but it's quite good anyway.
    -is this original? not the strongest part of your work
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? yes!

:: Subway Gropes ::
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? yeah
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) no :/ I think it's the major problem of your entry guys. There is clearly different styles here, but seems that you didnt try to make it work together. You could have decide of a process to apply to all, so the different styles could be mixed better? Like vector for the line, photoshop for the colors, or something..
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? because of what i already pointed, i would say no, tho their design could look much more coherent if it wasn't that different in the execution. And, why does
    the rabble rouser has an animal face? It's cool but it's a little bit disturbing for the understanding of the brief. And the protector looks a bit small for a protector, it said "well built"! :p
    -is this appealing? some great ideas, i especially like shadow!
    -is this original? yes!
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? the vertical type was not the better choice imo

:: Gurren Brigade ::
    -can i identify all the characters without reading their name? yeaah
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? yuuup, the hero is very well done for that, she looks lost and unpredictable, but also trusty with her team, i think your hero is the one which catched the ambivalence of the character the most. The techie is awesome too! She looks fragile and more into mechanic than fight, and a biiiit nerdy crazy! Her outfit is really cool too!
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) yes! no problem
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? Yeah, the details make them unite, i like it!
    -is this appealing? YEP !! i think it's visually my favorite, nice poses, sweet colors, good rendering, my regret is that you seem to spend too much time on the techie mecha, which was a bonus, than on the protector and rabble rouser! I would like to see them painted as well as the others!
    -is this original? Yes, very! i really loved the sea elements you incorporate to your futuristic designs. It looks like a nice chronicle happening in the atlantis or something weird and nice! i wasn't expecting this, and i like to have surprises, especially here in the chow, where a lot of styles tend to be the same thing again and again!
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? another little regret, the presentation is not as good as the charcaters.

:: Nightstalkers ::
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? yes, tho the hero has no really expression
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) well, the hero looks a bit generic and not special, especially next to the others who have interesting proportions. And why does she have no shoes?
    The rabble rouser is different too, in the execution and proportions! he's built like a strong man, til the legs, which are super short! So he is tall like the techie who is supposed to be a kind of shy little person, there is a problem of scale. Also the level of detail is very different on him.
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? hard to get the universe you chosed here, and the scale, execution difference are confusing too.
    -is this appealing? there is some good things but it could be much improved
    -is this original? yes
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? no the presentation doenst help your point! :/

:: Sugah face ::
    -can i identify all the characters without reading their name? Yeah, but at the first look i thought that all of them were women.
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? yeah. mt only crit would be on the rabble rouser who looks like a poet.
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) yes
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? the design, not really, but the execution help, so yes
    -is this appealing? the colors could be brighter, it looks a bit dirty, and the presentation too
    -is this original?as ling as i have a bit of trouble to get a common universe for them, they look a bit random, so i don't know what to say here
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? no :/ What is this picture in the background? It looks very off topic with your characters, and they seem to float on it... And the type too brings the drawings down!

:: Team Zaxxon ::
    -can i identify all the characters without reading their name? No, hero and protector are obvious but shasow and sage... ?? Why does the sage has a huge gun? And the techie could have tools or something to fit with her activity, i recognize her because she is the other girl...
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? for the hero yes. the other one have helmets or blurred faces, it could work but it makes the expression hard to catch, and the poses are a bit to generic to read their personality. A lot of the brief doesn't pass through your design i think.
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) yes, very well, the designs and palette, lights, attitudes make it very coherent
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? yes, actually they even do a bit too much, they look like prototypes, more than characters with a backstory as it was very well discribed in the brief.
    -is this appealing? yes, it's well done, especially thinking to the time you spent on it. Tho, some of them have weird proportions, and the anatomy of the techie looks off, her head looks very small.
    -is this original? hummm, as it has been said already, it looks quite generic. I think if you worked on it earlier you would have the time to explore more and to find something a bit more new...
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece?The background is fine, but the huge red type hurts my eyes a bit!

:: What would Tyler Durden Do? ::
    First of all, you deserve a special mention for the name of the team ahah
    -can i identify all the characters without reading their name? yeah
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? yep, the pose of the rable rouser fits well to his personality, the hero is dynamic; shadow is fine too
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? yes again
    -is this appealing? not really the kind of super warriors i like, but it's well done Tho i wish you'd had the time to color them
    -is this original? not much, it reminds a lot of other things, but i'm maybe not into that kind of style enough to notice the differences..
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? it's very basic, but the composition hurts them a bit, the feet of the rabble rouser, touching the border, the feet of the hero touching the bottom.. little things that could have been easily avoid and could pump up the piece.

:: Weird Sisters ::
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? it works yep
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) yes, here again, the background helps a lot.
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? yeah, overall it's fine. The protector reads a bit too orc, but it's a detail.
    -is this appealing? It's a bit too polished everywhere, so we lose the focus. You maybe could have spent a little bit less time on rendering and more on the poses, which are a bit stiff and not so natural. The light is also weird, i can't figure if it's night or day, or sunset?
    -is this original? yeah, the western universe but a bit re interpreted was a nice idea.
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? Seems that you have put a lot of effort in that, but it's really busy, the saloon type is a bit too obvious, and i don't think all the flourish things were really necessary.

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

26. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had to cut my post in 2 because
    “The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:
    1.The text that you have entered is too long (20964 characters). Please shorten it to 20000 characters long.” Humm lol
    So :

:: Nasty sausages ::
    -can i identify all the characters without reading their name? yep, at first sight
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? yes, the rabble rouser, technician and sage especially.
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) yes, the palette, angle shot and execution look very coherent, it works perfectly together.
    -is this appealing? the poses could have been worked a bit more, and the colors and renders are not too much, but work nicely. So yes
    -is this original? not the best but there is some nice ideas!
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? sober, clean, ok

:: Orange soup ::
    -can i find clues of their personality as it was exposed in the brief? they have all the same kind of expression a little bit, but there is some nice ideas here, like the shadow far from the group.
    -does the whole entrie looks coherent? (scale, composition, palette, etc of each piece, but also overall artistic direction, design choices etc) yesn the african theme is interesting too. Tho the animal of the techie is a bit confusing, i thought she was fond of mechanical stuff, so maybe a machine would have been better.
    -do all the characters seem to come from the same world, universe and could they work together in a video game, movie, comic book, whatever? yes.
    -is this appealing? The poses are a bit unatural for some of the chars, but it's a nice piece anyway.
    -is this original? yes
    -does the type, layout, border etc work with the piece? i love the composite much more than the individual thumbs, the gray squarre and type weren't the best choice i think.

Ooookay, done! Hope it helped a bit and that you don't want to slap me, anyway even if you do it's not a big deal ahah

Thanks everyone for the hard work, it was a great contest!

koppa says:

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for several teams, but my favorites are the Wild Weird Sisters, Team Baguette, WWTDD, and The Gurren Brigade.

I felt like I learned a lot just watching all the sketchbooks and the progress of the ideas and work.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Elidee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, clochette! Protector and Rabble Rouser were naomifuls and she bailed on us on the last day. So yeah. I wish the overall presentation was nicer too but time got away from us. Thanks for the love and honesty!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clochette: Vote Added!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    Undertow, Kian: votes changed.
    My username is still listed under the wrong one. Is that a glitch?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deastwen : Ha i can't see mine in the Baguette votes!
    And Kian's isn't in ours.

Lalilulebo : you're welcome!

koppa says:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The votes won't change the names. I can't change the names, only the numbers. I just added a vote for you, but your name will still be listed under the one you originally voted for.

Nothing I can do about that, sorry.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All of the entries look great here I think everyone has done an amazing job!

I've decided to vote for 3 groups:

The Weird Sisters: I love the gunslinger feel to yours. The overall presentation of all your work is awesome and all your character designs meet the brief and are very consistent in appearance and also work well together as a group. I really like shadow and the sage!

Team Grogrozoo: Original, bright and funky! I love your take on the project. The animal characters are cute and fun. Also your presentation of your designs were great! The sage is really funky, love his shades!

TeamDarkYellowGhostRobots: I like the dark, post-apocalypse feel to yours. Your character designs are easily identified and work well together as a whole. Great work! Shadow is my favourite chacter from yours.

---

Team Orange Soup: I really like your character designs, particularly the sage and the bird! I think your chosen theme makes your end result unique looking. Your characters are well designed and work as a group. Oh and after viewing your sketchbook I have to say I liked Tommoy's idea for shadow, he looked cool!

Team Baguette: Great background theme and designs. I really like the snow environments and your characters are well designed, detailed and presented well! My favourite is the technician.

Team Zaxxon: Like the style and futuristic look of your designs. Very cool and techy! I think the mechs lack real personality though. I like the hero.

Art Soda: Some nice character designs though i don't feel they looked very consistent in appearance which is hard to achieve with different artists.

The Gurren Brigade:
    Some great character designs here. Would have been even better if they were all in colour. Not sure if they all fit together, the Sage is probably the one I'm least sure of. Love the designs for Shadow and the Technician!

Team Nightstalker: You have some great stylised designs which I really liked. I'm not sure if they all fit together though, there doesn't seem to be a theme that links them all and they're not very consistent to one another. Interesting characters though, I like the protector.

Double Impact: Some good character designs, which are a bit small in the composite. They style looks consistent too. I like shadow and the technician.

CATL: I like the posing of your group composite. You've got some nice designs too with good finished. The drawing/colouring style seems consistent though I'm not sure the group of chracters work effectively as a whole.

Insomniacs: You've managed to link your characters with the snow backgrounds and similar style costume designs. They're not all easily identifiable to me as who they're meant to be though. My favourite is the hero.

Random Team #1: Like the rain effect in your renderings. A nice set of characters too with good expressions and poses. The sage design is great!

Team Subway Gropers: Bright and interesting character designs. However they seem to lack a link to one another and therefore don't really tie together effectively as a group. Really like the sage design with the puppet!

Team Sugah Face: Your characters have good poses and are nicely designed though I don't think they mesh well together as a group. My favourites are the hero and the sage!

What Would Tyler Durton Do?: Some really nice designs with dynamic poses and detailed costumes. If they were coloured I think it would be a lot more effective! I like the sage (I seem to have said that a lot now).

Team Nasty Sausages: Nice designs and I like the colours used. Style-wise your characters work well together but design-wise as a group I'm not sure if they do. The sage particulalry looks a bit out of place. Also I think maybe the characters could have been posed differently so they don't all face the same way.

Overall, I think this was a great effort made by everyone I look forward to entering/seeing another round in the future!

39. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to blackcherry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmmm... Really nice work from all - I felt like giving everyone a vote just for finishing!

But then my stingy side took over - so I just voted for my favourites!

Weird Sisters - Strong characters, refined, consistent and well presented! Might have been more interesting if they weren't all forward facing.

GrogroZoo - Lots of fun, great characters, very stylish, consistent and great presentation.

Baguette - Think this was my favourite overall. Not as consistent as some of the others, but I liked the theme and some really nice character designs.

Gurren Brigade - Lacks consistency, but there's some nice design work - I particularly liked the hero.

Zaxxon - Had some reservations - the characters lack feeling and a couple look unfinished, but there's some really tasty work in there so you get a vote!

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mythmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just thought to mention my shadow characters "boots" arent metal... but some mix of thermo molded plastics with a nice shiny coating to seal in heat and keep out the elements.... BIG boots, wider contact patch in the snow, distributes weight better and keeps the sinking to a minimum (just like snow shoes) And since its a composite plastic (future ultralight construction materials us see... ) with perhaps some carbon fiber weaves and titanium inserts... wouldnt be any more inhibiting then some heavy snow boots.

and I agree with the crit that I shouldve taken more care to seperate my character from a "protector" vibe, although from the prompt, it didint specify him being a lil puny shadow either I suppose I just took the "dissapears for long periods of time" meaning a completely self reliant type which = badass.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Team Orange Soup

Weird Sisters

Baguette

And GrogroZoo

Great work from all, and meny thanks for all the crits and comments! All really appreciated!

cheers,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a very cool competition and the results speak for themselves.
    Team "Turd Burglars" didn't catch the deadline in the end, but look forward to a similar challenge.

Well done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Better late than never...

I voted for Weird Sisters for consistency, GroGroZoo for zaniness and The Gurren Brigade for odd, creative characters.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sekino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw. I suddenly realised that I'd forgotten to vote in here, I had just looked at the entries and tried to decide earlier... And now the vote is closed. Oh well.

Are the winners (which looks like a tie to me?) gonna get some badges of honour?

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was planning on having the winning image be used as the 'mascot' for the future team chow's, but now I have twelve characters...

Congratulations, though! To both winning teams!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.