Confrontation
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Confrontation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Confrontation

I started out just drawing poses for one of my characters, and it turned into this. There is a story for the characters (I'm gonna write a graphic novel on it when my skills are sufficient.. probably a few years til then, so in the meantime I have plenty of time for scripting and such), but I don't really wanna explain it here... obviously this is just the beginning of a battle. Mainly Photoshop, but also some experimenting with Alchemy.

Any and all critique much appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a pretty interesting concept for a piece so far- I like that the monster is sketchy in comparison to the clean line art of the figure.

I almost want to see that monster bigger though, a larger contrast in size would emphasize the characters reaction. Also the left arm/hand on the figure should be taken down in size, you have a lot of exaggerated perspective it might be neat to see that arm smaller to mimic the rest of the figure.

Overall I don't get the feeling of "battle" I get a feeling of "dreaming". The guy looks like he is floating almost,like he is going to drift away. Also his expression is very calm and emotionless.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zoroko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice style and I dig the design of the monster, reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus.
    I think the background is too busy, it kind of swallows up the figures, and makes the image as a whole a bit flat. Maybe try making it much darker? I think that would give more emphasis to the dudes, assuming that's the effect you're going for that is.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great pic, I really like the concept! Also the textures are looking great!
    Also, the lineart of the figure is really nice and clean, and i love how the monster has parts of a castle on its back.

the only thing i can criticise is that the figure's balance is off. It looks like he's about to fall backwards, or is flying.
    I agree with Zoroko that it has the feeling of a dream because it looks like he is floating. I think making him lean forward more would give him more balance, and also make it look more like he is preparing for battle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacketfulofdanger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice guys, that's just the kind of stuff I need to hear. Finals are next week, but hopefully I'll have some spare time to impliment those changes.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.