Elder Vamp

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Elder Vamp

Thanks

Elder Vamp

Hi just just wanted some feedback on this character I created. I really wanted to have the character come out having very shiny black metalic armor, but I lack the skills in doing so. I wanted the picture to seem like he was creeping out of the darkness and the light from torches were reflected back from his armor.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    thats a good start! maybe you should push the highlights more to get a more dramatic feel in the picture. Also, he looks more like a med-evil robot..thing, rather than a vampire. maybe try to incorporate the classic vampire traits?

Thanks
    Good work...

I would like to increase the bright caused by the eyes, and the reflex of it in the armour.

Thanks
    Euroption, thanks for the reply. Welp, I did not really want to convey a sense of the classic drakula vibe. I wanted to do something entirely way off. I wanted to make him much much older, way back to early greek times even. Only thing is that he's wearing magical armor, kinda like a warcraft thing. I did kinda throw in the helmet to be in the style of a bat though. I thought of this character back in the year 2005, and just decided to paint him up this year. Here are some pictures, and I know the wrist is a little funky on the anatomy side.

[

This last picture here kinda dehumanizes him, and decided not to go with this concept. But it would be great for another story.

Last edited by pc626; April 26th, 2009 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks
    I did however make thing much brighter and lighter in this painting for printing purposes. Everthing came out basically black. I still want to learn how to paint armor better, and have the metalic texture right.

Thanks
    Looking good
    1) Careful with your perspective lines in the background, they are distracting from all the nice work you've done on your subject
    2) The bat wings on the helmet are different lengths
    3) If you want a more realistic look for the armor, focus on blending your darks and lights. Remember to grab some reference and sit it next to you while you work. That way you can pick it up and look at it if needed. Also most of your blacks look like outlines at this point so focus on those areas. the lit leg is on the right track.
    4) The last plate on the shadowed foot does not match the angle of the foot or the plate it's connected to ... easy fix
    5) composition wise you may want to shift your drawing over to the right giving you character and audience someplace to look.

diggin the style

Thanks
    PlasmaViper, thank you for stopping by and helping out. I think this character is still in development, and i'm going to make an new picture. I actually felt this for some time now. I want to do a low angle shot, maybe from the torso up. I'm having a hard time mentally visually seeing how an almost frontal view of the helmet would look good because the wings on it might look funky. I want to make it visually pleasing withought it looking like a batman symbol since the wings on the helm are bent back.

I'm surprised nobody has ripped me for using texture for the chainmail.

Last edited by pc626; April 26th, 2009 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks

Highlights

I have to agree with what others are saying about the highlights. Hone in on your shadows and light. But do it sparingly, the darker image fit the scene much better.
    Ref: http://www.askmaurice.org/light.html

If you are trying to achieve the shinny metal look, you will have to consider the colors around you. If you look at the reflections in a shinny black car is everything B & W ? Use the colors around him in the highlights and a deep Red with Prussian Blue in the deep shadows.

Thanks
    Maurice, Thank you for stopping by to give help, and for posting your link. I think I'm on a better track now. What I will be doing as well is small thumbnail sketeches first, especially a well thought out background rather than something random like I did.

Thank you again all of you. I will try to work on all of the things that are mentioned.

Pat

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.