Steampunk Sally and her deformed hand
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Steampunk Sally and her deformed hand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Steampunk Sally and her deformed hand

Hello! I'm a newbie here! I'm been lurking for a while, but thats how I know I will get some good CC from you guys. This is Sally from a Steampunk series I've been working on. When I look at her, I can't help but notice her right hand. I just can't get it right! I want to know what can I do to "fix" it. Or even change it to another position entirely. Anyway, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, the hands, is she wearing two different gloves, or is my assumption correct, that the left(our left) also has the fingers cut out of them.

The fingers dont seem right on the left hand, and her legs seem alittle crooked, I might be nitpickin on the legs.

Name:  l_c545ed7af9c44a5994f099d4a33934f2.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  67.9 KB

anyway asides from that, it seems great to me.

-Inc!

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's a pretty interesting design. Her right hand look wrong because her pinky is completely flat against her thigh. If it's going to be wrapping around, you need to show the width of that finger or it won't read well. Her right leg also seems to be lacking any real form in the foot, think of the skeleton there and what direction the foot would be facing. Better yet, reference!

-Sid

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    her torso is what bothers me most. In such a pose, her spine would have to arch backwards a tad, lifting her ribcage and breasts more. There are also a couple rules about shoulder lines and breast lines. When both arms are down, the bottom breast line follows the shoulders. When both arms are up, same rule applies. It's only when one arm is up and another is down that the breasts and shoulders might not parallel. You also made her left breast larger than the other.

Her arms and legs are very long in relation to her torso. It seems a bit funny, but what's worse is her left leg is longer than the right, even taking foreshortening into account. It would also be very hard for anyone to keep their balance in such a pose, especially with such high heels.

As for her hands, they're a tad small, and they seem to hang flat while holding her thighs. Thighs are round and squishy. Try grabbing your own and observing what your hand looks like, and draw a study.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the reference photo I used for the pose.

Incinerated - She is wearing the same gloves on both hands, I just realized I didn't draw the holes. DOH! I think her legs might look a little funny because the right leg needs to recede more into the back. I'll try and fix that. The picture you posted helps me visualize. Thanks!

Sidharth Chaturvedi - I have problems drawing hands in certain positions. Sometimes it looks ok, sometimes it looks totally 2D or mangled. I will wrap that pinky around like its nobody's business. The right foot is facing forward, but I guess the shadowing and lighting isn't enough to communicate that. I'll probably draw a line on the bottom on of her food indicating where the shoe stops and heels begin. Thanks for the advice!

TASmith - How do I make it look like her spine is arched? You think if I bring the shoulders back, it would look more "balanced"? And now that I am looking at the reference picture and my picture, I realized that you are right lol. I angled her shoulders a bit more, but left her breasts in the same position! I'm going to go over again and follow the lines of her shoulders. I never even noticed this. Thank you. As with her legs, the model has extremely long legs and wearing those monster heels just accentuated it. I tend to draw unnaturally long legs in general. I'll check my proportions again. With the position in the original photograph, the girl looks balanced. How do I make her left leg shorter without making her look funny? Should I bring her leg in a little more? And the hands, I always have problems with hands! GRR! As for thighs, mine are very squishy thanks to all the Thai food I consume each week. Never realized that can help in my art. Thanks for all the advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, here are a couple notes I put together.

Attached Images Attached Images    

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks great—I LOVE the design of the costume, and you've put a huge amount of time and effort into rendering it.

My only advice at this point (and I've said this to other people in other threads) is that you should enroll in a basic class in fashion sketching (preferably at a good design school) as soon as you possibly can—if not, get a good book on the topic (I'd recommend "Fashion Sketchbook" by Bina Abling) and study it. You've gotten about as far as one can go without actually knowing the underlying principles of anatomy and draping—with a little study, you will have a much clearer sense of what you're doing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TASmith - I am in the process of changing things right now! I can't thank you enough for those tips. I already redid her torso and it looks soooo much better. I can see it now.

Giacomo - Thank you! I have enrolled in college before and took all their anatomy classes. I did okay, but I need to observe more than "imagine" what it would look like. Right now I'm going to Art Center in Pasadena, classes begin in May. I've never taken a fashion sketching class, and I'm not sure they even teach that there. I plan on going to the bookstore and picking up the book you recommended. ThankS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I can highly recommend Art Center, since I graduated from there myself near the end of the Cretaceous period.

You're right, though—unless something's changed, they don't offer fashion sketching classes there. If you're going to do anything that involves costume design, I'd strongly recommend learning basic fashion sketching, even if you have to take a term off to do it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    Well I can highly recommend Art Center, since I graduated from there myself near the end of the Cretaceous period.
    I know Leka, and Art Center is both our dreams. She got accepted, but is having trouble since we're poor. She might not get to even go because nobody we know has good credit Any ideas on how to solve this problem? Art Center is so expensive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pc626 View Post
    I know Leka, and Art Center is both our dreams. She got accepted, but is having trouble since we're poor. She might not get to even go because nobody we know has good credit Any ideas on how to solve this problem? Art Center is so expensive.
    Hi! I know you too. I think we live together...lol

Yeah Art Center is so damn expensive. I want to go for a term or so to experience it, but I know I won't be able to afford more than 2 years. GRRR. I guess I'll be checking out more books than I thought at the library.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone is in that boat these days. Back in the day, Art Center was fairly generous with merit- and need-based scholarships. I don't know if that's the case anymore, but it's worth looking into. Even if you can't attend full-time, it's worth it to take evening classes there and keep building your portfolio until something opens up or a miracle happens. Good luck.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try for scholarships and need-based financial aid, but if you can't get 'em, remember, it's what you learn, not the degree that's important. See if you can't audit courses instead, pay less, and learn just as much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I want to look at other options, and be positive. In the end, yes what matters is what I learn. It won't be the end of the world for me if I cannot afford it, it just means I was meant to go another direction. Thanks everyone for the help and support.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.