Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Minotaur - need some advice/feedback

Thanks

Minotaur - need some advice/feedback

Hello everyone.
    I really like buffalos and the feeling of pure strength and power they give to me. They look like they are exploding with strength.

I made a couple of sketches about different bulls and after some time I decided to make a Minotaur. I dont really like the look they use in World of warcraft so I tried to go more into the direction of the old movies. Where they used stop motion animation for the creatures.

So after a lot of redoing the background (I still have to traine more on environements and perspective) this is what came up so far. And now I am kind of unsure how to proceed.

I am not sure about the anatomy (even though it is not human) and especially the lighting. I want to get the light realistic.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well, the bust part looks frikkin' amazing. His arms and legs seem a lil stumpy tho.

Thanks
    I tried a little on his arms and legs, but I think it is part of the bull-feeling, that his arms and legs are kind of short. All buffalos are really heavy, with a great weight and muscles on the neck on frontial body.
    Of course they have a lot of strength in their legs to carry the weight, but they look rather short compared to the rest of the massive body.

To get a better feeling of the volume I trief a paintover and it really helps.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Your perspective lines are a giant sign pointing at this boy parts and screaming "HAW, WANG!"

Ahem.

Not a bad painting at all, although I think the lighting could use some work- the minotaur's body is definitely sinking into the background a bit too much. I do like the head and the background a lot, it has a nice, sculpted look and a good sense of mass.

I don't really know what mood you're going for, but I assume it's pre-battle? I'm not really getting a sense of danger from it, so I'd mess with the poses just a little, or even the color scheme. Right now, to my obviously delinquent mind, it looks like the minotaur's miffed that the guy's staring riiiiiiiiiight at the vanishing point. There's a lot to like it in from a technical standpoint, just figure out what exactly the narrative is and really take a moment to picture the scene in your head.

-Sid

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    i think the initial painting is great and mostly just needs highlights on the minotaur. The knight below seems a little problematic, perspective wise, and he needs harder edges. Give him a better stance, being that close to such a beast, he should be poised to strike and dodge fast. Either that or he's one dead knight.

Thanks
    the head and chest seem disproportionately large compared to to his arms, torso, and legs.

Thanks
    @Sidharth Chaturvedi:
    Man, you discovered my hidding secret ! XD

I made a new sketch. I dont know why, but this time it really worked well. The picture just drenched out of my fingers ^^
    And after painting some while and now looking on the old one again, I can see all the wrong stuff.

I still like the pose of the original one. Maybe I will overwork it on a later time and just a creature shot (Without the guy)

So for now, this is what came out
    this is still a sketch and I have to work on the man again. I am still not sure about the way he is standing there. I have never drawn humans like this before.
    For now I am really happy with myself

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    this is a better fight scene. you won't be able to fit in a background unless you increase the canvas size, but that may or may not matter. Again, think about that one light source and try to make it as consistant as possible over all the forms.

Thanks
    I kind of like the first one better, like the calm before the storm. I really like the design of the minotaur himself, the stocky body and head are working well. I would work on detailing the lighting a little more, to give it a little more punch, and maybe embellish the minotaur a little.
    Im thinking about those rings the punch through bulls noses. I suggest toying around with that idea a little.

Thanks
    to add off of what Duman said, i would add some features to add to his personality, like the nose ring or maybe a tattoo..or both. i think it would allow more space for a story

Thanks
    I played with it a little more.
    After I changed the minotaur into an african, why dont do the same with the warrior ? I decided on a nubian.

Here we come to the part where I have problems. I always tend to overdo the saturation, so that it doesnt look realistic anymore.

Well here the result for today

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Very different image, but it looks awesome. I'm having trouble reading what's going on around the minotaur's waist. Is that a weapon that the guy is holding, or is it a belt? If it's the former, make sure the blade overlaps the bull's body so we lose the tangent. If it's the latter, move the guy's hand so it doesn't form a tangent and look like he's holding the belt.

Thanks
    Interesting thread here dude. I like that standing minotaur although you should watch head size when making a character who is supposed to come across as massive and intimidating. The head is a little on the large size on that one and it comes acorss as a little more like a child. If you wan the lighting to be realistic you should concentrate on just values and making sure you have a definite light source and stick to it. This is something that I forget at times and it enevitably screws up the image. Especially when i try and get all clever with the lighting. Keep it simple seems to work best, ecpecially when working from the imagination. good work though dude, keep it up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast