Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

superflu pandemic possible zombie apocolipse

yo, post if you got the flu, i sure do.

ps - the news is scary. BBC, CNN , SBS, ABC , youtube, world health organisation WHO issued a big statement saying its out of their hands and good luck wtf thanks.

-alti

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I thought world war z wasn't supposed to happen till 2012...da'FUCK!?
    -------------
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/mikonos[/URL]

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    ah nevermind...
    Last edited by Jason Rainville; April 26th, 2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: fdgdsgrdrg

Thanks
    poop?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Noa K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    It's horrifying to think so many people got infected and died in Mexico, but the few people who've traveled elsewhere are doing fine and expected to fully recover - it says a lot about their health system. It seems like there's nothing any of us can do except keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    It's only scary to me because i've read The Stand and was kind of obsessed with that book for awhile. I think anytime i hear the words "epidemic" that book comes to mind.

[edit]- if you haven't read The Stand by Stephen King, i highly reccomend it.
    Last edited by ArtZealot; April 26th, 2009 at 04:38 PM.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    New Zealand has very likely been hit, and possibly France.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    "It's only scary to me because i've read The Stand and was kind of obsessed with that book for awhile. I think anytime i hear the words "epidemic" that book comes to mind."

ditto.

Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Molly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    You sure? You wouldn't be able to crawl to the computer if you had flu. That's one way you can differentiate from a cold - no way could you walk with real flu.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've also read The Stand AND watched "I am Legend"...

darn. At least I'm still healthy. alti, get well soon!

Thanks
    It's good to see people are scared, as that's the whole point of the media barrage. It's good to see people who are good at their jobs.

but really, If we all got scared when some people died in mexico, or a bunch of kids spread a virus around a school then we wouldn't be able to walk outside.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    The thing that makes this swine flu so deadly is that we humans haven't been exposed to it during our evolutionary history, so we lack a good natural defense system towards it since it wasn't needed back then. This virus is common amongst pigs, it mutated to spread to people and then mutated again so it could spread amongst humans. It's just like the Black Plague, that virus have almost always been present in rodents like rats and gofers which had it as a common not-so-deadly disease, and they still have it, but when it mutated so that it spread to and amongsthumans then we got in trouble because of no natural immunity towards it. This is why it's more deadlier then the bird-flu, which haven't mutated yet to spread amongst humans.

I looked around on the net, and found som really, I mean really, disturbing things.

Pigs Hold Clues to Man-Made Flu
    "Sang Heui Seo of Chungnam National University in Daejon, South Korea, entered six genetic sequences from pigs into GenBank in late October. Niman came across the data in late November, and noticed they contained between three and seven genes from the WSN33 virus, which was created in 1933 by a London lab that was researching the 1918 flu pandemic. The London lab found that the virus could infect mice, indicating that it might successfully infect humans, Niman said. He reported the presence of the human WSN33 genes in Seo's samples to WHO officials in early December."

So basicly it's man-made out of the Spanish flu which killed 100 million people worldwide, and have now spread to pigs and can now spread to and among humans.

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2005/03/66824

And another alarming thing:

A year ago, the Center For Disease Control, CDC, bought hundreds of thousends of air tight seal coffins and ordered millions of bodybags.

http://www.infowars.com/a-half-a-mil...astic-coffins/

It's a bit alarming, it's like they knew in forehand what was coming. That combined with the fact that this pig flu was man-made is horrifying.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    It's horrifying to think so many people got infected and died in Mexico, but the few people who've traveled elsewhere are doing fine and expected to fully recover
    It's reasonable to think that most of the casualties were working adults, probably poor or supporting large families, who couldn't afford the 'luxury' to get some hospital care and not earn anything for even a short while.

So far, the cases in the US have not been fatal because they were getting cared for in time.

It's wise to be careful, but I doubt this is an apocalyptic, indiscriminate killing disease. Sounds like the usual poverty-stricken worker killing disease. Very tragic and unfair, nonetheless

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sekino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    Pigs Hold Clues to Man-Made Flu
    "Sang Heui Seo of Chungnam National University in Daejon, South Korea, entered six genetic sequences from pigs into GenBank in late October. Niman came across the data in late November, and noticed they contained between three and seven genes from the WSN33 virus, which was created in 1933 by a London lab that was researching the 1918 flu pandemic. The London lab found that the virus could infect mice, indicating that it might successfully infect humans, Niman said. He reported the presence of the human WSN33 genes in Seo's samples to WHO officials in early December."

So basicly it's man-made out of the Spanish flu which killed 100 million people worldwide, and have now spread to pigs and can now spread to and among humans.

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2005/03/66824
    I am confused about this. I know it's from a reputable source, so I am not trying to argue that. In 1933, unless I am wrong, scientists couldn't 'create' viruses like we do today. It seems to me that they would have had to breed a virus rather than engineer it. They were probably using Mendelian genetics which was just mapping out traits and then crossing them. If that is the case then it would seem more like "Whoops, we put some viruses in a dish and it evolved into something really bad." Which is really something that could have happened naturally also.

Can bluefooted or some one else who knows biology explain this stuff? I feel I don't know enough about viruses.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks

Thanks
    Suspected cases are in Scotland too. My microbiology lecturer knows a lot about viruses and no doubt they'll be a discussion about this tomorrow. I will ask my chem lecturer (whose brain is like an encyclopedia) if he knows anything about it

In the meantime, grab a sword and gun and bring on the zombies!!
    Last edited by Carbon Productions; April 26th, 2009 at 02:54 PM.
    sketchbook http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162034

C&C are more than welcome

deviantart gallery http://midge7.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    PLEASE NOTE that the wired news article is from several years ago and
    is unrelated to this current swine flu outbreak.

Also be aware that Lord M is not well educated in these areas and is one of the biggest conspiracy theory nuts on CA.org.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D View Post
    PLEASE NOTE that the wired news article is from several years ago and
    is unrelated to this current swine flu outbreak.

Also be aware that Lord M is not well educated in these areas and is one of the biggest conspiracy theory nuts on CA.org.
    Just because the article is several years old doesn't mean it's false. WSN33 is the same as H1N1 (the current swine influenza). The study in that article just proves that they have known that H1N1 was man-made for some time (since these kind of articles get spread easily). And the fact that CDC ordered these 500 000 coffins a year ago kinda worries me, maybe they knew that there would be an pandemic that couldn't be stopped. What do I know about that? I am just worried.

And that I am not any educated on these areas, I don't know, if you're refering to the first sentences in my post then I am just repeating what I got to learn on the courses I took on my university. Genetics and viruses aren't my favourite subject and I don't find it extremely intressting so I could have missed something. But I think I know what I'm talking about there.

Oh and fun to know I have atleast made a name out of myself here if I'm seen as one of the biggest conspiracy theory nuts on CA.org.
    Last edited by LORD M; April 26th, 2009 at 04:57 PM.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski

My TUMBLR!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    It's only scary to me because i've read The Stand and was kind of obsessed with that book for awhile.
    M-O-O-N, that spells flu.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    Just because the article is several years old doesn't mean it's false. WSN33 is the same as H1N1 (the current swine influenza). The study in that article just proves that they have known that H1N1 was man-made for some time (since these kind of articles get spread easily).
    I would like to see some kind of source for this. The wired article does not say that WSN33 matches H1N1. And who are they? The government? If everyone are slaves to the government who wants to run the world, why would they kill everyone? They need us to do everything. Killing off a major part of the population would give them less power and less human resources.

And the fact that CDC ordered these 500 000 coffins a year ago kinda worries me, maybe they knew that there would be an pandemic that couldn't be stopped. What do I know about that? I am just worried.
    They're not coffins. They're vaults. These are plastic versions of the cement casings that caskets are placed in. They are probably tons cheaper and easier to mass produce (obviously) than cement vaults. There is also no connection between the vaults and the CDC either. Simply having a field full of vaults in Georgia, which happens to be the supposed "largest airport hub" in the country means nothing. Funeral homes buy these all the time. They're a cheap alternative to traditional vaults and mostly made for people who can't afford to bury their family in luxury. Prisoners, the poor, natural disaster victims (oh hey, we just had how many thousands die from Katrina? Might be nice to be prepared this time), and the like need cheap, convenient burial options.

I am not trying to attack you, it's just that these things don't make sense. That infowar website makes claims and provides no evidence.

"Yep, these are cheap plastic coffins. Hundreds of thousands of them. Donít believe it?"

See, its already provided some wrong information. Which is funny because the article provides a link to a company that makes the vaults. They didn't even read or understand their own sources, they just looked at pictures.

"Why coffins? Why in the middle of Georgia?"

Ok, good questions, nothing wrong with this, except the coffin thing.

"Well, apparently the Government is expecting a half million people to die relatively soon"

Wat. Where the hell did this come from? Were they're Men in Black in the video? No guards, no CDC officials, nothing.

"and the Atlanta Airport is a major airline traffic hub, probably the biggest in the country"

So is the city I live in. We are the 3rd largest freight hub in the country, but no fields of plastic vaults.

"which means Georgia is a prime base to conduct military operations and coordination."

Wat again. How is that so? Wouldn't a secret island like Guam or some remote desert location be better for military operations? If some guy with a camera can wonder right into a major military operation, record stuff, go back home, post it online and not get caught, then it doesn't sound like a very secure evil military project to kill off everyone in the united states except rich people.

"It is also the home of the CDC, the Center for Disease Control."

Wouldn't the home be in D.C.? Every state has a CDC outpost.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Texas reporting in.

Flu in full effect.
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Define "full effect".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    I would like to see some kind of source for this. The wired article does not say that WSN33 matches H1N1. And who are they? The government? If everyone are slaves to the government who wants to run the world, why would they kill everyone? They need us to do everything. Killing off a major part of the population would give them less power and less human resources.

They're not coffins. They're vaults. These are plastic versions of the cement casings that caskets are placed in. They are probably tons cheaper and easier to mass produce (obviously) than cement vaults. There is also no connection between the vaults and the CDC either. Simply having a field full of vaults in Georgia, which happens to be the supposed "largest airport hub" in the country means nothing. Funeral homes buy these all the time. They're a cheap alternative to traditional vaults and mostly made for people who can't afford to bury their family in luxury. Prisoners, the poor, natural disaster victims (oh hey, we just had how many thousands die from Katrina? Might be nice to be prepared this time), and the like need cheap, convenient burial options.

I am not trying to attack you, it's just that these things don't make sense. That infowar website makes claims and provides no evidence.

"Yep, these are cheap plastic coffins. Hundreds of thousands of them. Donít believe it?"

See, its already provided some wrong information. Which is funny because the article provides a link to a company that makes the vaults. They didn't even read or understand their own sources, they just looked at pictures.

"Why coffins? Why in the middle of Georgia?"

Ok, good questions, nothing wrong with this, except the coffin thing.

"Well, apparently the Government is expecting a half million people to die relatively soon"

Wat. Where the hell did this come from? Were they're Men in Black in the video? No guards, no CDC officials, nothing.

"and the Atlanta Airport is a major airline traffic hub, probably the biggest in the country"

So is the city I live in. We are the 3rd largest freight hub in the country, but no fields of plastic vaults.

"which means Georgia is a prime base to conduct military operations and coordination."

Wat again. How is that so? Wouldn't a secret island like Guam or some remote desert location be better for military operations? If some guy with a camera can wonder right into a major military operation, record stuff, go back home, post it online and not get caught, then it doesn't sound like a very secure evil military project to kill off everyone in the united states except rich people.

"It is also the home of the CDC, the Center for Disease Control."

Wouldn't the home be in D.C.? Every state has a CDC outpost.
    No no you totally got me wrong! I didn't mean that the government are trying to kill everyone, I meant that they mayhap knew what threath this virus was and what it could do, and prepared for the worst and didn't say much about it to the public to avoid panic. And "They" would have been WHO, because they would surely have been intressted in this kind of information and I believ tries to look up this kind of information if they haven't already been informed.

Oh yeah, sorry I should have attatched the other article I read about H1N1 and WSN33, sorry about that, it was clumsy.

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/12...2004_H1N1.html

About the coffins, that what you said seems to make sense so I wont say anything more about that. I was just worried and mayhap a bit paranoid when I read about H1N1 and then the "coffins".

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    So, I finished reading this thread, decided to go back to my book - Stephen King 'Night Shift'... the very next paragraph in the story (Night Surf) contained this bundle of reassurance:

"So here we were, with the whole human race wiped out, not by atomic weapons or bio-warfare or pollution or anything grand like that. Just the flu."

Thank you, Stephen King, I feel so much better now

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I have only had real flu (as opposed to a fluey cold) once. I never ever want to have it again. I spent 2 days thinking I was dying and wishing I would bloody well hurry up about it.. Couldn't bear light, couldn't lift my head off the pillow. Couldn't breathe (had to concentrate on every single breath I took). When sleep came, the dreams were terrifying......
    *shudder*

38. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Don't fall for conspiracy theories and don't panic. Just remain informed and if you feel like you're coming down with something: don't leave your house.

Besides, I hate it when people who are obviously sick are out and about and sneezing/coughing on everyone else around them. Kinda rude.

To remain informed, here are some helpful links (not sure if these have been posted; I apologize if they have):

List of resources here: http://tedchris.posterous.com/insigh...ring-the-swine

A couple of blogs with more information:
    http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasure/
    http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/h5n1/

WSJ: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124078887309757539.html

A whole lotta links/info/updates here: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/4...gency-Declared

What you can do to protect yourself: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-sh..._b_191459.html

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smugbug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    New Zealand has very likely been hit, and possibly France.

It's true, I know that at least myself and 2 other friends had the flu, and now we have become blood thirsty zombies. be afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Goodness... got to watch anyone who quotes infowars.com. Alex Jones, it's creator, is an unmitigated tool >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Jones_(radio) *shakes head*
    Please give erudite, constructive critiques or give none at all.

- b l o g - s k e t c h b o o k -

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell." - Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Sorry if this has been said before but this strain of H1N1 IS NOT the same one as the Spanish flu. This strain started as a respitory disease in pigs.

Viruses are extremly good at adapting to the enviroment and changing their genetic codes. (which is why we need different flu jabs every year) This strain picked up genitic codes from pigs then birds then humans, making it very versitlie to jump between species.
    Becuase of this, and the fact it may be able to be airborne, it is difficult to make vaccines untill the virus is fully understood.

(Yeah I'm a geek for genitics and viruses in particular )
    sketchbook http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162034

C&C are more than welcome

deviantart gallery http://midge7.deviantart.com/

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carbon Productions For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast