Please support - Super-articulated pose ref manikin. - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: What do you think to a super-posable artist's manikin?

Voters
358. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support this and might buy more than one!

96 26.82%
  • I support this and would buy one!

230 64.25%
  • I support this but wouldn't buy it

23 6.42%
  • I'm not bothered...

9 2.51%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Please support - Super-articulated pose ref manikin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was going to post this the other day, but I went to go see Iron Man 2 and forgot about it till now.

This is one way we could make a more flexible spine for a manikin. It basically consists of several plastic vertebrae that snap fit together. It would have at its core a flexible metal rod that could bend and help it hold its pose.
    Name:  Plastic Spine.jpg
Views: 2764
Size:  11.8 KB

This probably isn't the most practical way of doing this, but I figured I would post it to see what you guys think.

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Purpleplatypus - Thanks for the support! And yes, A good stand is essential in my view.

Tobba - Lol ;P

Farvus - Great job on putting ideas into action! This kind of thing is really useful for feedback on what works - let us know how you get on with it

Wiggum - aha I'm sure I have some old lego stashed away that has a palm tree that articulates in that way ... *rummage, rummage, rummage* ... yep!

Name:  Lego1.JPG
Views: 2465
Size:  20.3 KB Name:  Lego2.JPG
Views: 2433
Size:  20.4 KB

with more of a ball joint on each segment this would work pretty good with no wire - but the wire could improve consistency of movement over time ... the other option I guess would be a spring to pull the joints together but that may reduce it's ability to hold a pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds cool the wooden ones are useless. hope you work out the standing thing like putting magnets on the feet or having a number of holes on the body that an arm of the stand could slot into (I didn't read the thread probably this was discussed.).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I may have subconsciously stole my idea from that Lego palm tree. I like this idea because it seems like the kind of thing that could be put on a sprue and assembled later by whoever buys it. Could keep costs lower.

Last edited by wiggum; December 1st, 2010 at 12:26 AM.
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess this kind of died out....

I bought a Stikfas the other day but they have gone out of business so not all of the models are available. They're not too bad. Those Microman guys look awesome but are hard to find and very expensive. It was interesting to learn Microman is the newer version of Micronauts. I used to play with those as a kid. Some of my favorite toys!!

Any other affordable toys out there that can be used? I'm going to get an Art S Buck model. I may end up ripping off that giant head and replacing it with something that is the correct size.

Those wooden art manikins are complete crap! You can't do anything with them.....

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey goodmanje - thanks for dropping by and don't worry this hasn't died - just on hold till I get my designs sorted - life is not that easy right now but I am determined to at least design something and show Jason to see what he thinks. There has been mention of detailed anatomy etc but my main aim is accurate pose ref. This should be easier to design with the main challenge being the articulation - don't give up people! - while there remains no good manikin out there for pose ref I'll keep working on one!

Sad to hear Stikfas have gone out of business and yes Micromen are solid to get hold of at any decent price! Would be interested to hear your experience with the Art S Buck model

Keep rocking everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmanje View Post
    I may end up ripping off that giant head and replacing it with something that is the correct size.
    And how the hell did they OK giving an artist's mannequin such an out of proportion head? I was looking for a good mannequin a few months back here and was considering that one, but my life is poverty and I didn't want to pay for something that might not work. The big head made me think they really weren't about doing this right.

And so I support this .

Whilst we all wait in anticipation... do the micromen have good pose-ability? Do they hold poses and such?

Last edited by Quigleyer; November 30th, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man! I agree, a pose reference is what we need. It doesn't need detailed musculature or facial features. Just needs to meet the standard 8 head proportions and actually be posable.

I've tried DAZ Studio and such but I don't like being tied to the computer all the time. I want an action figure damnit!!! Hehe...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to goodmanje For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's something that has been collecting dust in my bookmarks. At this point, I don't know how much it will help when people are putting up doll arms that have ulna and radius, but just in case it may help somehow, here's a guide on making a ball and socket type mannequin:

http://www2d.biglobe.ne.jp/~dhnoah/make_00.htm

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Robotus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You may be able to get an articulated shoulder girdle by making the scapulae magnetic. Underneath them could be flat metallic planes

Last edited by Robotus; November 30th, 2010 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3dpN...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj5NW...eature=related

Looks like obitsu dolls might be what you guys are looking for.
    They make male figures too.

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This still happening? ^^;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa - how did I miss all these posts! Sorry guys for not replying! I'm attempting to come up with a design myself in spare time but is very slow progress sorry! Thanks for all the ref Robotus - I'll check them out when I have some time

Quigleyer - the micromen have pretty good articulation and hold poses well - downsides are not ideal torso / hip articulation due to the small size and moulding irregularities, the sheer fiddly-ness of so much articulation while so small and are prone to coming apart while posing. But having said that, if you can get hold of one or two cheap then they are pretty cool!

goodmanje - completely agree! I tried 3D software and just didn't get on with it at all - something about a physical figure is so much better!

Blighty - yep! I hope so - we'll get a better pose ref manikin one way or another!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually just the other day created a post on ILLUSTRATION FIXATION about how I use the traditional wooden manikin to study the figure (not to substitute for a model or learn anatomy). Of course, the quality of these guys has gone downhill over the past several decades, and now they're barely more than props used to symbolize the visual arts. I saw one in an old art book that had articulated shoulder joints like a stop motion armature. In modern manikins you can't even rotate the hip joints. So I modified mine and now it's very useful for analyzing pose.
    I actually use this guy for studying anatomy.

Although it'd be great to have a little poseable human to use as a model, I find that for learning it's better to separate the variables, so to speak.

Find tutorials, tips and advice at
    ILLUSTRATION FIXATION

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Beatrice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Chris - personally I very much agree (great post on Illustration Fixation) As I've made clear quite a few times it's pose ref that I'm interested in - accurate articulation and enough of it to truly be useful rather than as you say just 'props' or ornaments!

I'm aiming for a kind of next-gen of the wooden manikin - a step up from it. More detail but still along the lines of basic shapes. Still affordable for all but a true artist's tool. I love what you've done with your manikin and skeleton! Those skeletons look great for the price - thanks for the heads up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

22. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow that looks neat. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey CA,
    Sorry for posting in an old thread, but I've been working on a manikin inspired by it. It's still far away from being completed, but I've gotten to a point where it would be useful for me to have a few questions answered. First, evidence:

That is what I uploaded to Shapeways to get an initial price estimate. Obviously it doesn't represent the final appearance except possibly body proportions.

Most of the joints have been planned, but not modeled. Here's a sample of the shoulder blade mechanism, which should allow much freer movement of the arms than some other manikins.

Details
    • Can be printed on demand by Shapeways
    • Constant tension on joints from rubber bands (provided by you). Hopefully joints will never wear loose and will hold their pose.
    • Wide range of motion. Knee can bend far enough for heel to touch buttock. Hands should be able to touch the opposite shoulder. Shoulder blade/collarbone movement will be simulated in addition to shoulders.
    • Will cost approx 50 USD based on my current guesstimate. Expect this to change, likely for the worse.
    • Attachment points provided for you to create your own stand.
    • 8.6 In / 21.78 cm high.
    • Depending on feedback, a more detailed surface mesh could be made that shows muscles, etc. Alternatively, a planar version could be produced.
    • Depending on interest, a male version could be made as well.
    • Detailed assembly instructions and youtube videos showing how to make it from the shipped parts.

I need to know if anyone would be interested buying a manikin at this price point with these features. My schedule is fairly busy, so whether I continue this project or not really depends on all of you. Would you buy it if it was cheaper/more expensive? Had different features or proportions? Please let me know!

Although affordability is a higher concern for me, I would like to add a small markup on this if it gets produced. If that makes this unwanted commercial posting on CA.org, just let me know and it will cease.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clean3D, sounds like a good project for kickstarter.com. It will tell you whether or not you have a potential customer base, AND provide you with seed money if people like it.

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clean3D, I have access to a BFB 3000 printer. If you make it compatible for that type of printing, I'll most def print it out. Although it would probably be too coarse a print for those kinds of detailed joints.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clean3D, I agree Kickstarter would be great. If you decide, let us know so we can add some funds...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd also recommend the kickstarter angle.

I've always been very disappointed with the typical wooden mannequins. They can barely bend their joints or hold a pose.

~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sorry I've been away for so long

Quick update: basically things just ground to a halt as far as CA.org being officially involved -haven't been getting replies from Jason so can't say what the standpoint is.. and unfortunately my personal life / struggling to keep financially afloat has had to take priority for me. I'd still like to see this happen though.

Nice one guys n gals for keeping the hope alive for a genuinely useful artist's pose ref manikin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Revoltech now has a smaller, nicely articulated spiderman for about $60.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to thanks For This Useful Post:

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ummm I know this is old, buuuut, we have 3d printing now... Soooooo why not just make one using the power of 3d printing? Couldn't cost too much. Just need to sculpt it in zbrush and make some prototypes to make sure it all fits together and bam! Something you can print for 30 bucks and put together. I don't have the time to make one. Although if I do, I'll be sure to post again about it. I would like the parts to be removable. So you can see the muscle under the skin. Would be a lot of work sculpting it and reference but would be good for me.

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by My57 View Post
    Ummm I know this is old, buuuut, we have 3d printing now... Soooooo why not just make one using the power of 3d printing?
    I backed the crowdfunder for a 3D printed mannequin last year - the A9 Armature - and got the 6" version. (There were 3-4 sizes in the crowdfunder and plans for different sexes and ages IIRC; wonder what happened to those?) It's rough and lumpy, and the different arm joints only stay together in one pose: straight down by the sides. Although the left shoulder joint doesn't even do that. It fits in at a snaggly angle and pops out if you breath on it too hard. That's all before taking the mannequin off the card it was cable tied to, which I haven't yet done ten months later. A fair disappointment.

Looking at the Digital Double site today, the claims of toughness definitely aren't on the two different cards I got with the thing; quite the contrary. And as the online shop shows, you can order prints at a finer resolution, but as one of said cards mentions, they 'cost significantly more'.

I have seen some interesting items on shapeways that seem better quality, if not so anatomically rigorous; but point being, the 'power' of 3D printing isn't all it's cracked up to be, sometimes. Particularly on the more affordable end. (including the couple of hundred bucks to 'just sculpt it in zbrush' )

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I was thinking more of the lines of allowing the files to be downloaded and people to simply print them out themselves. Go to a 3D print store and ask to print them yourself. Way cheaper than ordering online in that case. We could allow for online orders for those who are unable and such as well though. There are lots of options for 3D printing.

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This guy already has released his model that has 70 points of articulation open sourced. You can download and print. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:116571/#comments

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Members who have read this thread: 42