View Poll Results: What do you think to a super-posable artist's manikin?

Voters
358. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support this and might buy more than one!

96 26.82%
  • I support this and would buy one!

230 64.25%
  • I support this but wouldn't buy it

23 6.42%
  • I'm not bothered...

9 2.51%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Please support - Super-articulated pose ref manikin.

Thanks
    I support this one completely, male-female versions would be nice.
    MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    All I'm saying is I've seen similar toys that weren't so expensive, having worked in a toy store. They used to have those anatomical models with the see-through skin, where you could open it up and take out all the organs. And most Metroid figures have parts you can detach and such. It wouldn't have to be a fortune - it depends on the quality of plastic you use.
    Interesting With Jason M. saying MB/CA is very enthusiastic about producing this/these manikin/s it's kinda what they're willing to do really. I personally would prefer a less complicated and more durable pose-ref manikin and then an anatomy version like you describe with the stretchy muscles - that would be awesome!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hookswords For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The7Artist7 View Post
    Hello all CA peoples - artists, designers, animators & all people who think it's high time a more useful & fully posable manikin is created and widely available for us creatives.

Before I go any further I would like to express thanks to Rockhead, Sakievich and William Whitaker for bringing peoples attention to this excellent figure and opportunity.

I have been in contact with awesome sculptor Dave Cortes who created this Spiderman figure back in 2003/4 - it's 18" tall with 67 points of articulation (inc hands and fingers, feet etc) and already used by many artists worldwide as a manikin of sorts.
    While I agree that the current wooden doodads leave a bit to be desired, do we really need THAT MANY points of articulation in an artists manican? I mean, the point of artists manicans is just to give a general idea of the pose and propotions. Having every finger joint articulated seems a bit superfluous and feels to me like something that will cause artists to copy too closely from their action figure rather than from a working knowledge of anatomy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    While I agree that the current wooden doodads leave a bit to be desired, do we really need THAT MANY points of articulation in an artists manican? I mean, the point of artists manicans is just to give a general idea of the pose and propotions. Having every finger joint articulated seems a bit superfluous and feels to me like something that will cause artists to copy too closely from their action figure rather than from a working knowledge of anatomy.
    Hey Peter,

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I'd just like to clarify a few things: My aim with promoting this has been to work towards a really helpful artist's-specific manikin so creatives can actually use it as ref. My aim has not been to just support something that is 'cool because it might have so many joints'!

While you make the point of the possibility of causing artist's to copy too closely ... isn't that the danger with any ref?? Personally, I see it as an excellent opportunity to have an easily adjustable and expressive point of ref that you can view from any angle. Jointed fingers would enable the manikin to be much more expressive - and I would certainly encourage any artist to study anatomy and explore ways of improving their skills

Also ...I'm proposing an artist's manikin not an 'action figure' lol
    Last edited by The7Artist7; May 18th, 2009 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks
    Hey Peter,

Thanks for your thoughts on this - this is the exact reason I started the thread so we can see if people are interested - to not be interested is a perfectly valid viewpoint! My aim with promoting this has been to work towards a really helpful artist's specific manikin (and hopefully a range of manikins at some point that address different levels of detail) so creatives can actually use it as ref. My aim has not been to just support something that is 'cool because it might have so many joints'!

While you make the point of the possibility of causing artist's to copy too closely ... isn't that the danger with any ref?? Personally, I see it as an excellent opportunity to have an easily adjustable and expressive point of ref that you can view from any angle. Jointed fingers would enable the manikin to be much more expressive - and I would certainly encourage any artist to study anatomy and explore ways of improving their skills

Also ...I'm proposing an artist's manikin not an 'action figure' lol
    I am interested, however, what I think is more important than moving fingers is making sure that the important joints: hips, waist, shoulders, etc, move in a way consistant with the actual movement of the human body. (which if you really think about it is a lot more difficult than moving fingers) I'm not interested in molded muscles because muscles are meant to squash and stretch so I feel there is no point in seeing them in hard plastic. However if you could get a working model to represent the movement of the scapula and clavical I would definatly buy that model if for no other reason.

Expression I can come up with myself, anatomically possible poses, while I can draw from my own knowledge a lot, are a bit more difficult to acheive and are where a model becomes very helpful.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am interested, however, what I think is more important than moving fingers is making sure that the important joints: hips, waist, shoulders, etc, move in a way consistant with the actual movement of the human body. (which if you really think about it is a lot more difficult than moving fingers) I'm not interested in molded muscles because muscles are meant to squash and stretch so I feel there is no point in seeing them in hard plastic. However if you could get a working model to represent the movement of the scapula and clavical I would definatly buy that model if for no other reason.

Expression I can come up with myself, anatomically possible poses, while I can draw from my own knowledge a lot, are a bit more difficult to acheive and are where a model becomes very helpful.
    Oops sorry - you replied before I had finished editing my post!

This is exactly what I'm hoping for - as you say the important joints actually having the ability to pose correctly. I also agree that, especially with a manikin for pose ref, basic shape, structure and movement consistent with the human body is much more important than moulded muscles. Having said that, what has been discussed with Jason Manley already is a much more realistic build as far as anatomy goes, rather than a super-hero muscle-bound figure like good old Spidey!

With the hands/fingers I think many people like myself would find it useful and a great addition - but please understand they are not the main focus! You wouldn't have to use them if you didn't want to! Again, this is in no way meant to be a replacement for good anatomy study but rather a useful tool to compliment it

Thanks
    Oops sorry - you replied before I had finished editing my post!

This is exactly what I'm hoping for - as you say the important joints actually having the ability to pose correctly. I also agree that, especially with a manikin for pose ref, basic shape, structure and movement consistent with the human body is much more important than moulded muscles. Having said that, what has been discussed with Jason Manley already is a much more realistic build as far as anatomy goes, rather than a super-hero muscle-bound figure like good old Spidey!

With the hands/fingers I think many people like myself would find it useful and a great addition - but please understand they are not the main focus! You wouldn't have to use them if you didn't want to! Again, this is in no way meant to be a replacement for good anatomy study but rather a useful tool to compliment it

In that case I might be interested but I'll wait to hold final judgement on whether I buy or not untill I actually see it. I'm just afraid it will end up looking like the grey artists models I saw in the ACCD student store which looked like colorless ken dolls.

Thanks
    In that case I might be interested but I'll wait to hold final judgement on whether I buy or not untill I actually see it. I'm just afraid it will end up looking like the grey artists models I saw in the ACCD student store which looked like colorless ken dolls.
    No worries

Out of interest are you referring to the Art S. Buck figure?

I think with MB/CA and hopefully William Whitaker (he started all this years ago!) working on this if it goes ahead it should be pretty good!

Thanks
    No worries

Out of interest are you referring to the Art S. Buck figure?
    That would be the one.

Thanks
    Just came across this thread, but I've been interested in buying that poseable spidey figurine for quite some time now (though it seems they're becoming very hard to find).
    So my question for The7Artist7 : any news on this ?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Just came across this thread, but I've been interested in buying that poseable spidey figurine for quite some time now (though it seems they're becoming very hard to find).
    So my question for The7Artist7 : any news on this ?
    I've not forgotten this but am busy at the moment - latest news is I'm attempting to get a time that I can discuss this with William Whitaker (He was the first to discuss the idea of Massive Black producing an artist's specific posable manikin with Jason Manley about 4 years back)

The main problem with this is how busy William is and the project is currently proving slow to progress. As soon as I have time I'll be putting some more effort into this and hope to push progress forward.

Thanks again to everyone showing support for this - I'm really hoping for a result that will be an inspiring pose manikin.

Thanks
    awww....! i want one!

this looks super cool, and i just wonder if you guys already have any estimates of the costs? i'll definitely by one if it's in my reach!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Noa K For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast