View Poll Results: What do you think to a super-posable artist's manikin?

Voters
358. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support this and might buy more than one!

96 26.82%
  • I support this and would buy one!

230 64.25%
  • I support this but wouldn't buy it

23 6.42%
  • I'm not bothered...

9 2.51%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    I am interested, however, what I think is more important than moving fingers is making sure that the important joints: hips, waist, shoulders, etc, move in a way consistant with the actual movement of the human body. (which if you really think about it is a lot more difficult than moving fingers) I'm not interested in molded muscles because muscles are meant to squash and stretch so I feel there is no point in seeing them in hard plastic. However if you could get a working model to represent the movement of the scapula and clavical I would definatly buy that model if for no other reason.

Expression I can come up with myself, anatomically possible poses, while I can draw from my own knowledge a lot, are a bit more difficult to acheive and are where a model becomes very helpful.
    Oops sorry - you replied before I had finished editing my post!

This is exactly what I'm hoping for - as you say the important joints actually having the ability to pose correctly. I also agree that, especially with a manikin for pose ref, basic shape, structure and movement consistent with the human body is much more important than moulded muscles. Having said that, what has been discussed with Jason Manley already is a much more realistic build as far as anatomy goes, rather than a super-hero muscle-bound figure like good old Spidey!

With the hands/fingers I think many people like myself would find it useful and a great addition - but please understand they are not the main focus! You wouldn't have to use them if you didn't want to! Again, this is in no way meant to be a replacement for good anatomy study but rather a useful tool to compliment it

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The7Artist7 View Post
    Oops sorry - you replied before I had finished editing my post!

This is exactly what I'm hoping for - as you say the important joints actually having the ability to pose correctly. I also agree that, especially with a manikin for pose ref, basic shape, structure and movement consistent with the human body is much more important than moulded muscles. Having said that, what has been discussed with Jason Manley already is a much more realistic build as far as anatomy goes, rather than a super-hero muscle-bound figure like good old Spidey!

With the hands/fingers I think many people like myself would find it useful and a great addition - but please understand they are not the main focus! You wouldn't have to use them if you didn't want to! Again, this is in no way meant to be a replacement for good anatomy study but rather a useful tool to compliment it

In that case I might be interested but I'll wait to hold final judgement on whether I buy or not untill I actually see it. I'm just afraid it will end up looking like the grey artists models I saw in the ACCD student store which looked like colorless ken dolls.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    In that case I might be interested but I'll wait to hold final judgement on whether I buy or not untill I actually see it. I'm just afraid it will end up looking like the grey artists models I saw in the ACCD student store which looked like colorless ken dolls.
    No worries

Out of interest are you referring to the Art S. Buck figure?

I think with MB/CA and hopefully William Whitaker (he started all this years ago!) working on this if it goes ahead it should be pretty good!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The7Artist7 View Post
    No worries

Out of interest are you referring to the Art S. Buck figure?
    That would be the one.

Thanks
    Just came across this thread, but I've been interested in buying that poseable spidey figurine for quite some time now (though it seems they're becoming very hard to find).
    So my question for The7Artist7 : any news on this ?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Just came across this thread, but I've been interested in buying that poseable spidey figurine for quite some time now (though it seems they're becoming very hard to find).
    So my question for The7Artist7 : any news on this ?
    I've not forgotten this but am busy at the moment - latest news is I'm attempting to get a time that I can discuss this with William Whitaker (He was the first to discuss the idea of Massive Black producing an artist's specific posable manikin with Jason Manley about 4 years back)

The main problem with this is how busy William is and the project is currently proving slow to progress. As soon as I have time I'll be putting some more effort into this and hope to push progress forward.

Thanks again to everyone showing support for this - I'm really hoping for a result that will be an inspiring pose manikin.

Thanks
    awww....! i want one!

this looks super cool, and i just wonder if you guys already have any estimates of the costs? i'll definitely by one if it's in my reach!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Noa K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Also make me a massive black cock action figure! Yeah! ;p

I have one of those big spidey's, the posability is very good, but I'd totally go in for an uncoloured one, I just cant bring myself to spray him white... maybe I didn't buy him solely for posing :p

Thanks
    This sounds awesome, I could definitely use this, and if the price was right, i'd def. buy more than one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noa K View Post
    awww....! i want one!...

...i'll definitely by one if it's in my reach!
    This is one of the first things I want to work out as one of my personal aims with this is for it to be affordable for all levels of artist. Whether I'll achieve that aim I'm not sure... but at the least I'd like it to not take too long to save up for!

All depends on complexity of the design, materials used, quantity produced, etc - at the end of the day it's up to Jason/MB/CA

Thanks
    any news on this?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to B-nine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah any progress? I'm really keen to see this happen. I'll help get this going any way I can The7Artist7, pm me if you need any help. And if you don't get it happening soon I might beat you to the punch

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Luke M. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey B-nine & Luke M I agree this is taking way too long to get anywhere!

I have been very busy but I've not given up or gone away - unfortunately William Whitaker (who Jason asked me to contact as the main guy to work on designing this) has been hard/slow to communicate with due to him also being very busy I think.

I will make time to contact him and try again to get an idea of how best to progress

So - hang in there peoples - and thanks for the kick up the backside to keep at it!

As soon as there is any progress I will post here

and oh yeah - you all Rock for the amount of support you've shown for this!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    just thought i'd chime in: another nice alternative to the big spiderman is this one. it doesn't have quite as many joints,but is highly poseable aswell,easier to carry around and a sleek black all over. highly recommend it.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Thanks Carni - would be interesting to see a slightly higher res pic without the glider thingy.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast