Sketchbook: Just draw ffs! CRITIQUE WANTED! (30/07/2013) - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of great studies again! I'd like to see you point some of that hard work at some head studies! everything looks solid but your heads are lookin' a little small I feel. Keep it up

ShootTheWorks
    lens flare renaissance
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Koto For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the late replies guys, I'm gonna reply to them and visit your sketchbooks ASAP.

Krato - Hey thanks man! Yeah those hand-studies actually payed of a bit haha! I gotta do this with some other anatomic parts.

Cris_1207 - Thanks a bunch, mate!

Sidharth Chaturvedi - Thankies! Eh... the life drawing stufff... yeah. Uhm, that might take a while, since I have no idea when the course starts again or if it's still available. We'll see how it goes.

Janos - Wow thanks, Janos! Never thought I could be inspiring to someone, hehe. Yes I know what you say, although I have found a solution to the boredom that can strike between studies. I'll just do some kind of big drawing once in a while when I am about to get bored out of my intestines. Making a big drawing and drawing exactly what you want to draw while at the same time doing studies for this drawing kinda makes you excel in your studies and you pay extra attention to what you're doing compared to when you're doing something you find slightly boring.
    Thanks a lot for your subscription and your words! And I have absolute no intentions of stoping my posting which as you very well said, I would just fuck myself.

Koto - Hey thanks for visiting again! Very good critique, I always thought something looked very odd with my heads bt I am very bad at giving self critique. I will do headstudies as you said, laying as much time on them as I did on my hand studies.

Ok here's some stuff from the previous days.First some Vanderpoel (yay bought the book! It's great!) leg studies and then I thought I would continue on the Lizardman Female I created some time ago for the Art Crusades here on CA (it might come back said chaosrocks! ). I realised that the legs I had thought out looked like crap so I did some dinosaur legs studies, I only found front photos of allosaurus and tyrannosaurus rex legs (which I thought was best, maybe I'll throw in a bit Gallimimus there) so I had to try and recreate myself how they might have looked like from behind. I am going to design her some armour/clothes later on.

Any critique is more then welcomed.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by LORD M; December 31st, 2009 at 12:04 AM.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    haha THE BIRD MAN RRROCKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSS THE STUDIES REALLY PAY OFF

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hm i would say move on from the bird guy his pelvis looks great (not surprising hehe) do human/animal studies, whatever floats your boat will be fine. I mean unless your really connected to this piece then i suggest moving on and collecting more knowledge.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm digging the bird man. The mix of human and animal anatomy really pays off on it, in my opinion.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkthrone For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your replies and advice, guys! It's too late here and I must sleep I feel, so I'll comment back tomorrow.

Todays crap. Continued on Lizardman woman, I kinda feel I want to finish this piece as good as I can with what I have learnt so far. Added legs I modified after the studies I made on carnivourus bipedal digitigrade dinosaur feet. I will probably change the swordarm, looks like crap I now see.

As usual, any critique and comments is very welcomed.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Grandmassa!

Krato - Yeah I know I probably should move on to the next drawing, but I feel I want to do a complete drawing testing what I have learnt so far, I want to finish this one as good as I can, with paint and all that.

ninjacat11 - Hey thanks a lot! I hope too it will pay off.

kingkostas - Kalomesimeri. (hope it's spelled right so I don't make a fool out of myself. )

My TUMBLR!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha those legs are look'n MADD POWERFULL I REALLY DIG THE WHOLE STRUCTURE FROM THE RIB CAGE TO THE FEET ESPECIALLY THE PELVIS KEEP UP THE GOODS!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey LordM... it's sebbonaparta from FP, but I permabanned myself there because the site is a waste of time! I've been kicking up the gears in my book and studying as well, but your work gives me some ideas on studying. Nice grasp on a lot of this stuff, I think your paintings suffer from a lack of value and color studies though. You are good enough that you should also be allotting time to photo studies and still lives, in digital color! Keep going though, it's inspiring stuff.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude I read page 1 and 2. Looked at your rant. And now skipped on to page 6. I can now tell you that just from these few drawings on this page i can see that you have gotten a MUCH better understanding of shape. You have gained a pretty confident line. You are on the right track.
    Ps: you did that front page picture with a mouse? What the hell? Mindblowing.

Last edited by Greywoods; January 3rd, 2010 at 08:41 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Greywoods For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grandma - Thanks! Glad you like it! Your post always cheers me up, they're so RRRRRROOOOOCCCKKKKKIIIIIIIINNNNGG.

cdejong - Hey I do remember you sebbonaparta and your awesome art-threads! Yes I do agree that that shitty hell-hole for a site is nothing but utter dog-vomit, one is just pissing in a sea of piss as mikfoz put it so wonderfully. Although I still visit because of the lmao pics thread and the creationism corner, some nice people still there, and I am hoping I can inspire people to start studying art and anatomy.

Thank you for your critique and advice, and I fully agree with you on that my paintings suffer from a lack of value and color studies. I really need to get going on those more, I'm so fucking lazy lol. I have hardly done any photo studies or still lifes, but now I will!

Greywoods - Wow thanks a lot for those words, I don't know if I'm blind to my own progress or just simply deluded, although I can see some improvement. I know it sounds dumb, but that's how I feel. :/

Yeah I did the front one with mouse, glad you like it. Altough I used reference so it brings it all down. Maybe I can make more.

Wow! I just saw that someone had rated me 4 stars! Thank you whoever did that, although I am not sure I deserve that high of a ranking, but thanks.

Been lazy lately, must stop that. Been fixing up the anatomy a bit on the Lizardwoman. Changed hand holding the severed head and the arm and hand holding the sword which I also remade. Kinda like it a bit better now.
    I am not sure how I want the head, so I experimented a bit. I don't know what style of head I want, if it gonna be a realistic looking dinosaurish head or something more cartoonish or something in between or whatever. And trying to make an animal face look feminime is almost impossible! I want the face to be able to be able to have facial expressions, and with the current one it's impossible. So out of the tests I did I kinda like the lowest left one. I know it's pretty much to the furry style, but I like it. Might put that head on if I don't come up with anything better.

Last edited by LORD M; January 3rd, 2010 at 10:01 PM.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok cool, you do remember me . Yea I was basically hanging around there the last few months for the same reason, but then after recommending studying, Bridgman, Loomis, studying photos and drawing from life, you just get the same crap with people not listening to your advice and continuing to produce bad work. And then on top of that all of my threads were for the most part ignored, while really crappy doodles got amazing responses. It's almost like a mini DA in that respect. I just made a banme thread so that I would have no reason to ever go back, better to just use that time on my own studying and for people here who want the critiques.

Right now in this piece, I'm iffy about the head. It looks rather cartoony, but if that's what you like, by all means stick by it. There are some things in the arms that are bothering me though, I think you're not taking full advantage of the rhythms available to you. One thing I've been learning more and more is that you can use anatomy to make figures more appealing not just because the muscles are realistic, but because the inward and outward swoop of the lines has a nice feel to it at the most basic level. I think you should maybe look into bringing that more into your work, since everything is already very solid.

Also a quick tip with painting... the darker your colors are (as in value), the more desaturated they should get, and the brighter they get, the more saturated they should be. Don't overdo it though but looking at your stuff I think this may help your work immediately if you play around with it a bit.

Oh you definitely deserve those 4 stars... they've been there for a while, but I just added my own rating to it too . Keep going and studying, it's paying off!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks for the feedback, cdejong! Extremely helpfull, and thanks for the rating!

The colouring values are a little hard to understand, but that must be mainly due to my lack of studies. Although I am not so sure I understand fully what you mean with the arms and the rythms, sorry I am dumb. :/

I didn't do any anatomy studies today which I had planned to do, did a Leonardo da Vinci study. Trying to understand how he used colours and values aswell as how he used light in this painting. Painted only with mouse this time in Painter X, no tracing of course . Original posted first.

Last edited by LORD M; January 4th, 2010 at 09:45 PM.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figure rhythm is very important. Here's a good video from Sheldon, he's a former student of Vilppu and a great figure drawing instructor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYVNHvOvtAo . Do you see how beautiful the interlocking of the muscles is? It's because the shape and direction of the muscles leads the eye through swooping patterns throughout the figure, it's very very pleasing to the eye, and it's integral to powerful figure drawing. I was suggesting that you emphasize the rhythm in your figure, because although it is solid, rhythm will really pull the pieces together in the arm to make it look jointed and full of power.

You should try doing some straight value studies too man, just pick a figure drawing (this one looks alright, it's from character designs: http://www.characterdesigns.com/band...et_030_047.jpg) and turn it to grayscale in painter or photoshop and just copy it as best as you can. It really helps with understanding how values relate... it's surprising how difficult it is to see values correctly.

As for the Da Vinci study, it could maybe have had a little bit paler and more yellow skin. Although it's slightly damaged, underneath the crap I don't think the colors are quite as rich as you painted them. Make sure to copy the paintings as exact as possible, that way you learn the most

Keep going man, and don't take all my critiques too hard, I like to critique tough since often people will be too nice and not say anything, when I could have learned something from their critique. But I like your work and you're good so just keep going and improving!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nine colour study. The ONLY thing I can pick on , and trust me I had to search long for that, is that the view of the nose is a tad from too low. The allignment of nose and mouth look wrong atm. Change that up and its good to go.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cdejong View Post
    Figure rhythm is very important. Here's a good video from Sheldon, he's a former student of Vilppu and a great figure drawing instructor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYVNHvOvtAo . Do you see how beautiful the interlocking of the muscles is? It's because the shape and direction of the muscles leads the eye through swooping patterns throughout the figure, it's very very pleasing to the eye, and it's integral to powerful figure drawing. I was suggesting that you emphasize the rhythm in your figure, because although it is solid, rhythm will really pull the pieces together in the arm to make it look jointed and full of power.

You should try doing some straight value studies too man, just pick a figure drawing (this one looks alright, it's from character designs: http://www.characterdesigns.com/band...et_030_047.jpg) and turn it to grayscale in painter or photoshop and just copy it as best as you can. It really helps with understanding how values relate... it's surprising how difficult it is to see values correctly.

As for the Da Vinci study, it could maybe have had a little bit paler and more yellow skin. Although it's slightly damaged, underneath the crap I don't think the colors are quite as rich as you painted them. Make sure to copy the paintings as exact as possible, that way you learn the most

Keep going man, and don't take all my critiques too hard, I like to critique tough since often people will be too nice and not say anything, when I could have learned something from their critique. But I like your work and you're good so just keep going and improving!
    cdejong - Man, thank you x 1000, I now finaly understand what rythm in drawing means. Never did before now. That video showed exactly what I needed to see. Now I feel I can finaly begin to tackle this!

Straight value studies sound really good, haven't done any serious studies like that before. And yeah, values are really tricky.

Thanks aswell for your critique on the da Vinci study, although I don't think I will continue on it anymore, feel I can just aswell start over using only the tablet, and next time I will copy as exactly as I can.

I also like to give critique and help people out whenever I can, but it's hard because there's so many talented people here and sometimes it's very hard to find anything to critique on if you know what I mean.

Janos - Hey tanks a lot for your critique! Although I don't know if I will continue this one, better to start over with a new one I feel, using the tablet only.

Continued on the Lizardwoman. Applied a new head that I think might work. Tried to have rythm in mind, although I am not yet sure on how I should apply it and if I am doing right. I should probably do some rythm studies instead, but I wanna finish this one before I do that.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely do some rhythm studies, really just gestures with a focus on rhythm is the best way to learn about it. This is already looking a lot better though, keep going keep going!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cdejong - Yeah I am doing rythm studies now. Read some about it and looked at examples, although I haven't drawn that many studies yet. Thanks a lot!

Been really lame lately, shaped up a bit today. Went to a building in my university that contained several ancient classical greek and roman styled statues. Did an studie on one for over an hour, on the bus there I drawed an old man siting, but I think he noticed me drawing so I didn't want to pester him so I did an imaginary face aswell. Yesterday I tried drawing on an esel for the first time, practicing using my whole arm, from shoulder to the wrist, later ate the study objects. Today I also went and fetched my col-erase pencils from the postal service! Been drawing a lot with them, man they're fun! The only rythm studie so far is the woman with the hair, tried making the shading and the hair go into 2 spirals colliding, her right --> eye being the center of the spiral, if I now understood rythm properly that is.

Also, I need a new scanner, quality is too grainy.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you have done some really good studies of hands and bones - I'm very impressed with the accuracy and the expression. Now I by far do these worse than you, but you don't seem to really take in what your learnt to your pieces, yet ~ I suggest that you might want to have a heart concept/reference for what you want to achieve style wise, render wise and so on, on the screen, or close to, while you work, so you can see how your ideal works with soft/hard edges, light/shadow, colour and line.

Because clearly you can produce the lines you need, and in the colour study also paint and use colours well

& i post #23, ser inte lejonets bakdel lite ut som ett ollon? :3 3==D------

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow Lord M, you've really improved since I last saw your work! The lizard man is coming along really nicely. Strangely, I like the previous angle of the head better - it turns a different way from the body, which gives the pose more dynamism. The structure of the leg is really good. The head still looks a bit cartoony comparing to the body. I suggest looking for some lizard reference, as well as lizard skull reference. Maybe make the eyes smaller and less human-like, in particular.

Your studies look nice, but lack the same level of attention you gave to the lizard man. Slow down, treat every subject seriously, try to understand it in the same level as your attempt to understand the body of the lizard man, even if it's just a still-life of a banana. Use your line carefully and avoid fuzziness. Do more head studies, and avoid making the eyes too large. Paying a bit extra attention to the eye region in your studies may help.

As for colors, here's a really quick and general rule for color theory: if the light is cool, the shadow would be warmer, vise-versa. Play with this and push it - but sometimes even some slight hue shift works great, especially in cases of natural light. Also, on saturation, the most saturated part of an object is often its "middle tone" area - the light bits get a bit washed out, while the shadows tend to be less saturated. Doing still life paintings and plein air paintings helped me tremendously in color, and I would highly recommend doing them as well as keep up your current master studies.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lord M!!!! Those studies looks fucking good!!!! Keep doing them loaddddsssssssss! No fear man!!!!!! Try doing some studies and then after a lot, try some from imagination, and that will test if you are really looking at what you studied and helps you to apply them into your work. Keep rocking and rolling!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Bendragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dan liimatta - Thanks man for visiting! Yeah I feel too that I am not fully yet learnt how to take in what I have learnt into my pieces. Should find another way to study. If I were to put up something like a hearth concept of some style I want to master, then I know I might sound pretentious, but I would like to be able to do things like Da Vinci did. Especially the poses he dd in his Battle of Anghiari.

Neeeeeej! Lejonets bak ser inte ut some ett ollon!

Nightblue - Thanks for your words and for stopping by my sketchbook! I do realise the head might be a bit cartoony and that the eyes are a bit too human, but I do kinda like it and I think I will use this as the final. I might give it a try though, making the head a bit more realistic as you suggest, using skulls and photos for reference. Good ideas.

I didn't realise I made the eyes too big untill you now told me, since then I have kinda caught myself doing too big eyes when drawing still-life of statues. And yes, I must give more attention and thinking to what I draw, I never thought that still-lifes demanded that, but now I know!

These colour tips are just what I needed! Thanks!

Bendragon - Thanks man! Thanks a lot for the study tip, really appriciate it! Must try it ASAP.

Some stuff I did the last days, first is poses out of mind trying to understand rythm, second one is recreating the skeleton from mind after a nude photo. And I also did more statue studies and some anatomy studies which I will post when scanned.

Continued on the Lizardwoman aswell, but this is just the thumb for coming up with an armour design I like. I think I will go with this style.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wooooot Lord M that last painting of the lizardwoman looks way cool already! Great studies too .

41. The Following User Says Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great new things mate.I love the construction and the whole analyze you did in your lizard character.(i think it have some positioning problem in the torso(because the basic guide line was a little more curved).
    The anatomy studies are great as always .Keep pushing the rendering

see ya

43. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAHA I REALLY LIKE THE ANATOMY STUDIES i gota try that an the blue pencil sketchs are RAD an the lizard woman RRRRRRRROOOCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSS

45. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cdejong - Thanks a lot man!

kingkostas - Hey thanks! Ye I realise now that before I'm gonna make some drawing I want to spend a lot of time on and make as good as possible, I should do studies like I did for this one, instead of starting right away on it as I used to before.

Grandma - Thanks dude. Glad to see ya pop in.

Did head studies as you guys have told me, maaaan my heads are horrible when drawing them from memory. I simply can't draw heads. Gonna have a goal to make 200 heads untill next sunday, and since I completely failed epicly at the 400 hands for one week I don't want to set too high goals after that. Also included a linestudy I came up with, practising to draw curved lines.

And there's some statue studies I made this week aswell first two were made days ago and the last one was made yesterday. My rendering and shading using pencils is really bad, just sketchy and unstructured, and I must look for new ways to do it. I used col-erase pencils on A5 sketchpad, and my friend told me it shouldn't look like that when using col-erase and that the quality of the paper I use is rubbish. So I guess I will look for better paper as soon as possible.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some inspirational music.

Went to life-drawing class this wednesday! They got it each wednesday, and might even include the thursday aswell. I will go each time.

Here's my horrible tries at life-drawing.

Last edited by LORD M; January 16th, 2010 at 05:58 PM.

My TUMBLR!

48. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice flow on the lines.The head seem to have nice structure.Thats nice.I see you start understanding everything in 3d.The life figures are not bad.Actually they have a lot of "motion" and they seem fast and quite accurate.The mistakes will fade away mate.Just keep up the good work

Btw i saw that you right kalo mesimeri hehehehe
    Thnx mate.We say that when we are close to eat lunch somewhere around 1-5

50. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice going, haven't really got a lot to say atm.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 25