Sketchbook: Just draw ffs! CRITIQUE WANTED! (30/07/2013) - Page 3

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Wow! I can see how much you've progressed! keep it up! I really like the character concepts you've got with the caprines there and the zodiac piece is excellent!

CA Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=173180

DeviantArt account: http://chrysshart.deviantart.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/chrysshart

E-Mail: Chrysshart@gmail.com

I'm not the best, but if you like what you see I'm looking for freelance work and commissions. Working daily to improve. Feel free to contact me!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to chrysshart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,791 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Thank you, chrysshart. Glad you like them, and I'm glad that you think I have progressed, I just want to realise that myself aswell.

Todays studies took a while to do, did it after a list I got from my friend, it said what kind of things I should particulary often study. Studied after Mentler, Bammes, Hogarth and Bridgeman today. I have done more studies today then I have during a couple of months.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    About the wolfman (post 60): it looks like his upper right arm is kind of shorter than the other. Are you going for a foreshortening look like it is sticking out backwards? I want you to finish this. I am just trying to help if I can. (I struggle with foreshortening too). I think you have an above average sense of lighting.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    About the wolfman (post 60): it looks like his upper right arm is kind of shorter than the other. Are you going for a foreshortening look like it is sticking out backwards? I want you to finish this. I am just trying to help if I can. (I struggle with foreshortening too). I think you have an above average sense of lighting.
    Thanks for visiting my sketchbook! Yeah I was going for foreshortening just as you said and I did realise it didn't look good but I just left it and didn't think more about it. But thanks to your comment I think I will try and finish it, thanks a lot for pointing this out and I am really gratefull for your help.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    It's cool. Try to get a second opinion if you can. Like I said I struggle myself with foreshortening. I always think it looks fine and then everybody says it doesn't. Maybe if that elbow was bent more higher the upper arm doesn't have to be any longer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice work man. So....why are you studying Biology again? LOL

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DMadd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DMadd View Post
    Nice work man. So....why are you studying Biology again? LOL
    Well, if I am going to be completely honest with you guys, the reason was that I was always told by everyone I knew that there was no money in art and that I wouldn't get a job at all, and I didn't have the self-consciousness to believ that I could make it 4 years ago. My self consciousness was rock-bottom back then when it came to art, but somehow I still drawed. But now when I have been around and discovered how things are and example been here on CA, I realise how wrong I was. If I had really been able to, which I somewhat was, I would instantly had gone for artschool or something, but got scared silent about it by people I know. I have the biggest regrets in my life because of this.

But I do hope there's some way I can maybe combine my art and biology in the future.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Don't worry. Life is amazing and complicated. I have a BA and MS in biology. My sister, who went into engineering, told me I wouldn't make any money with a Biology degree. I eventually did make good middle class money out of it. I became a patent attorney after adding some legal degrees and now I make money whether I have a job or not. My sister is an unemployed software engineer with no prospects.

Lord M- you have to post either WIPS or links to WIPS in the CHOW finals thread or they will kick you out of the poll. The way I did it was to go into advanced edit mode in my WIP post of the main CHOW thread, copy image tags to my clipboard, and then paste them into my finals thread post. They show up as links there instead of images and I think it helps save CA some bandwidth that way.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Keep at it man, your stuff keeps getting better and better, I wish I can do studies like you do(I'm frickking lazy

Thanks for dropping by my book too!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dwinbotp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, I feel a bit more relieved after reading that, arttorney - so great thanks for that. Really cool that you're a biologist aswell! What kind of biology did you study? Oh and thanks a lot for notifying me of the CHOW WIP, totally forgot about it.

dwinbotp - I really hope I can keep it up like that, but somehow I might hit that meeeeeh point when it might go to hell. Just gotta avoid it as much as I can and atleast do one or two studies per day even if I feel like I don't want to. Also I have stopped eating candy or anything with sugar in it, which infact really makes me lazy and all that meeeeh, tip from my friend. It does help, so stop eating sugar and you might get more studies done.

Last edited by LORD M; November 8th, 2009 at 10:13 PM.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Tonights studies, havent had that much time for studies lately - but I did some each day atleast, but most got scrapped.

Here's some that survived of tonights studies, studying Bridgemans way to build the body using cubes, and then I thought why not incorporate Hogarths box-wedge into it?

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Oh, I also finished the last CHOW wolfman. Turned out meh, but I like the lightning a bit.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    The amount of studies here is inspiring. I just started my sketchbook, and I hope that I can find the same motivation! All i can say is keep going strong! BTW what books do you study from? Thanks.

Last edited by Kayrn; November 8th, 2009 at 11:57 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kayrn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayrn View Post
    The amount of studies here is inspiring. I just started my sketchbook, and I hope that I can find the same motivation! All i can say is keep going strong! BTW what books do you study from? Thanks.
    Heya! Thanks for visiting my sketchbook. You can find the same motivation and perhaps even stronger motivation then what I have.

I study after Burne Hogarth - Dynamic Figure Drawing, all the Loomis books, Gottfried Bammes - Der Nackte Mensch (I do speak a little german so I can get some out of the text ), Bridgman - Constructive Anatomy, Bridgman - The Human Machine. And I also study after Michael Mentler who got several threads here on CA, I recommend him highly - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26748

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Tonights pencil diarrhea, didnt get as much studies done as I hoped to. Also drawed a demonic knight and tried to study how light falls and how colours blend.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Finished the demonic knight, I think. I am too tired on it and nothing turned out the way I wanted. Also added a lizardman warrior I made yesterday.

I'll do some more studies tonight, I don't even understand anything about how you should draw a face in dimensions so I will do more studies on that.

Also, some music I find inspiring.

Last edited by LORD M; November 10th, 2009 at 04:27 PM.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    More shit from tonight, no real studies done...

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    impressive amount of studies, make sure you transfer what you learned from your studies too you freedrawings. Gj

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thamks a lot Krato, I'm happy you could visit my sketchbook again. I am trying real hard to incorporate what I have learned into my freedrawings, but it's really hard. It's like I forget about it almost instantly after I have studied something or when I have gotten critique, I got the memory of a gold-fish.

Ok tonights studies, didnt have that much time because I got an geology exam next week. Tried out how one should really build cubes, after Michael Mentler. I don't know if it went good or bad.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Some studies I did today. Ribcage after Mentler. Loads of errors, I gotta be more precise and think it through more when I do these next time.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Did some new ones today. Whoop whoop, tried to do it more detailed and thought through and I think I kinda like the result a small bit, made from memory. Atleast I think it's better then the other ones I did today.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,161 Times in 1,962 Posts
    The anatomy is improving mate and your digitals are nice but i think you must put more values in them.More work and you will understand all of them.Very good improvement.
    You have already some very nice concepts, so take the time and work them more

Keep up and thnx for stopping by my sketchbook

32. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you, kingkostas! Really glad you dropped by. More values you say, that I will do! Yes, I will do lotsa lotsa more work
    because I want to understand them aaaaaaall!

My friend InsaneTK showed me a lot yesterday on various things through OC how he build up a drawing of the human body in many various ways, I learned
    a lot from that. One particulary great thing he showed me was the Loomis headmethod, starting from a sphere and going from there dividing it up a bit, I
    have thanks to that I have now a little better understanding of how 3D work. 1st try is at top left corner, last one is at lowest right corner.

These are some studies I did today after that method, while my friend looked at it and gave me tips, those lips drawn in brown is what he drawed when
    he explained lips to me, that they're not flat but cylindricalish (although my dumb mind cannot grasp that any good). I am really gratefull for everything he does
    for me and I see him both as a great friend and a great inspiration.

Last edited by LORD M; November 14th, 2009 at 09:36 PM.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,161 Times in 1,962 Posts
    The need drugs is great.
    Anyway yes do more values and in general work more the characters like the lizardman+ the knight + the last character(you can work the values in these, just put some more work on these)My favorite is the knight and i think it can become an awesome piece

Keep up the good work

35. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Really inspiring studies~
    I don't go to an art school either, so your studies really make me want to work harder and become better despite the lack of a formal art education...But I find that I have to draw something many, many times before it finally sinks in.
    I guess there are no shortcuts though

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Kim_bot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, kingkostas! I will do that. I can see this drawing of the knight as some concept for something I can make in the future later on.

High five, Kim_bot. I also have to draw something many many times before it sinks in, it's the only way to learn and remember. And somehow I am a bit glad they're no shortcuts, because the process of learning and evolving in your arts is fascinating and exciting to me aswell.

I saw that some people post photos they've taken in their sketchbooks, so I thought I would do the same.

I took this pic last year, found an Damsel Bug (order Hemiptera, suborder Heteroptera, family Nabidae, species Nabis limbatus - Marsh Damsel Bug), that I took in and fed with some cassic lemonade, it seemed to like it. Afterwards I released it. I will post more photos I have taken throughout the year and years if people want me to, ca't take much on insects right now because it's cold and almost snowy outside, also I got a shitty Sony camera, I want an Canon instead some day.

Last edited by LORD M; November 15th, 2009 at 09:48 AM.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Great work! Very cool characters maybe try some environment sketches to go a long with them

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Holland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey thanks for the comment in my SB. You seem to be on the right track with all your work. A good balance of studies, anatomy, and imaginative stuff. I just wanted to touch on your little rant on page 2 if you're still feeling like that.

Don't be too hard on yourself as far as your current work goes. But its not bad to be tough on yourself when it comes to how much you're working on it. If you're working hard, just keep at it and you will improve. I don't know how long of a time period you're measuring your progress over (since the beginning of the sketchbook? Just over 6 months?) Because I see progress, and its something you'll notice more the longer you keep at it. Don't expect results too quickly and get discouraged.
    The other thing is, once you're doing the work, be conscience of what work your doing, and what you need to practice. I see you're doing studies, but make sure you retain the studies and don't overload yourself to the point where you can't remember what you just studied. What I mean by this is say for example you study the anatomy on arms one day. Unless you're already have a strong grasp of anatomy, it wouldn't be too wise to also study legs and the torso on the same day. Really just focus on the arm. Do your studies, then try to repeat them from imagination to test if you retained the information. If you forgot parts, go back and refresh. Always think about your work while you're working. Think about it as if you're solving a problem. Is your approach successful? Why not? What about it isn't working? If it is the rendering for example, do some lighting and rendering studies and really think about how it works.
    If you want to be able to do poses from imagination, study different poses from life, or photos if that's all you have. Practice gestures as well and soon you'll be able to get a better feel for how the body moves and what poses you can put it in. If you get stuck or something looks wrong, ref it and see why.
    Don't expect to make huge leaps at first, it takes years. Just keep at it and have fun doing it.
    There are a few saying I like. I forget what the first is, but I believe it is the 10,000 hour rule. It takes 10,000 hours of practice at something to master it, which if you do the math, comes out to a ballpark of 10ish years depending how many hours you study each day. Another saying is everyone has like 10,000 bad drawings in them, so get the over with as quick as you can. Either way, if you continue practicing and do it in a smart balanced way, you WILL get better. Just give it time, keep with it, and don't get discouraged. All the great artists on this site sucked at one point, and have all racked up a lot of hours to get where they are.

I hope I didn't ramble too much, and this helps at least a bit. Good luck!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Untouched24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    clockworksnail - I'm really sorry I didn't reply to what you said, I didn't mean to ignore your words or you. I was writing an reply back when you wrote that, and firefox crashed and I thought I would rewrite it again later but then forgot about it. I hope you can forgive me.

First of all, I'm really glad you said you like my work. Yeah that feeling about getting a bit brought down when browsing through CA and seeing all the amazing artists was a bit dehartening as you put it so good, but now I don't see it like that any longer, I see it as an infinite inspiration and beat those bad thoughts down, if I believ in myself then I can reach my goals. Seeing the good points is kinda a good idea, like digging deep and find those gems you have, and then polish them untill they shine brighter - but I think one need to polish those duller stones aswell and turn them into gems aswell. I know I am a dull stone that might have some gems inside of it, and I want to polish that stone untill they can be seen, turning the stone into a shining gem. I think everyone can do that and become shining bright gem. (lol I know this sounds a bit corny but oh well, it's my own words atleast)

And no, you didn't make a retard out of yourself, I did though, because I forgot replying.

Thanks, Hollander. Environments sounds like a great idea, havent given much thought about them before, if I'm going to be fully honest I have always been a bit scared of doing environments but what the heck - I'll do some, because it's challenging and challenges are fun!

Untouched24 - Thanks for visting my sketchbook!

I have started feeling better then when I wrote that rant of mine, but honestly some is still left. I kinda did measure my progress starting like 2 years after I joined this site and my friend had told me about all these great anatomical study books (Hogarth, Loomis and the rest of the gang). My friend started studying intense, and I thought I studied a lot when I infact didn't, just some studies now and then and not much repetition. I got really discouraged during these 2 years when I saw how fast my friend progressed compared to me, it kinda brought me down and made me depressed that I couldn't find the same motivation or stamina as he had, sure I was really happy for him and it was great seeing him progress but it made me hate myself when I looked at my own work. I really was an ignorant fool, didn't take studying serious, he did but I didn't and that's what separated us.

But now I have started over and realised how it really is, and from now on I count November 1st as my start of progress and will measure from there on.

Your tips about how I should study really sounds great and makes lotsa sense, maybe tha's why I got so confused all the time, because I studied more things then I could handle which ended up in me forgetting everything. Your way sounds much better and I will try it out. Drawing have actually becomed way more fun now since November 1st, and I am enjoying it again.

Thank you, you have helped a huge amount.

Oh and sorry no studies posted today, will post todays studies tomorrow, not much to show. Have been to busy studying for geology exam.

Last edited by LORD M; November 16th, 2009 at 11:13 PM.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Todays and yesterdays studies. Made the lower arm much longer then the upper arm which is WRONG!!!! I'll do more studies tomorrow on the arm, to get it RIGHT for once.

My TUMBLR!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13