Sketchbook: Just draw ffs! CRITIQUE WANTED! (30/07/2013) - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And some more... I need to study lips, ears and eyes particulary more on faces - and learning how to place them correctly.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by LORD M; May 29th, 2010 at 11:07 PM.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the sketchbook, you have some great work in here ... keep it up.

Cheers
    Norris

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Norris For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    these studies are looking really great mate.!!!great construction.Keep up the good work

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the construction man. You're doing great!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddieee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your stuff is nicely weird, even anatomy is starting to get together, nice
    more longer digitals would be fun to see at

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nettle_Mountain For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the late replies, guys - I will return the favour. After all I have now summer break and I will start studying a lot more. I haven't hardly drawed anything at all the last 3 weeks and I feel shit about it, I have forgotten so much about anatomy, like I feel I have really forgotten about the bones for example. I feel almost desperate to get back into rythm again, but it is hard. I am so unproductive it buuuurns! But fuck yeah, I'll do it.

Replies from previous page to this one:

Eddieee - Thanks Eddie. Yeah I really need to do a lot more perspective studies. I think that maybe drawing objects and buildings from life might be the fastest way to practise this. Not sure though.

Grandmassa Mr. Spect - Thanks Granny.

AestheticMachine - Haha thank you, glad that it was noteable.

Janos - Hey thanks dude!

kingkostas - Yo thanks, always happy for your wonderfull support!

krel - Thanks!

Craz - Hehe yeah I am very familiar with his website. Hm, your suggestion are really intresting. I will definetly try this out. Thanks a lot!

Krato - Thanks!

Norris - Thanks for visiting. Really glad you like my stuff.

kingkostas - Efkharisto. Will keep it up! (I hope I didn't make an ass out of myself lol)

Eddieee - Hehe thank you.

Nettle_Mountain - Thanks a lot for coming back again and thanks for the comment. Yeah I really must do more longer digital ones, only been drawing traditional lately. Been having some ideas that I have tried to put down in digital, but no good so far.

Here's a quick (~2 h?) crap I crapped out before my Painter got all bugged out and prevented me from drawing any more, I have to restart my computer to fix the bug and I am too laaaazzzyyyy - as I am with studies. :/

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski

My TUMBLR!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ahhh studies : D they all look good, but the values on almost all your statues are too light, once again you need to put in some darker values ;P keep doing them studies find some time for biology and art.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    Hey guys, really a lot of replies you have given me. Thanks a lot for showing intrest, I will visit all of you to repay the favour.

I haven't drawn much at all for 2 weeks because of university which needed my full attention. I now really feel I wanna draw a LOT, been without it for so long!

But one week before my art-drought I studied Bridgeman, statues from life, self-portraits and more. Here's some, all Bridgeman and statue studies I made.
    Really great bridgemen studies. love the sketchbook.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to urmb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Krato - Thanks for the continued support. Ye, I must do more valuestudies to understand how it works, I don't realise it is this light when I am drawing.

urmb - Hey thanks.

Bought Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life, man this book is amazing. Done studies from it last week, here are those studies aswell as three digital things I did yesterday. The eyes on the man are completely fucked up positionwise and doesn't seem to belong to the head.

Somehow I feel a bit bad since I am just copying Bridgman's drawings, like all the lines are already there, I don't know how to express myself really but it's not an analytical way of studying when one is just copying.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    post 309# is yay!!!! and it contains a lot of achievements!!!
    can share some more like this?
    very good piece really
    keep up the improvement!!!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As kostas wrote, 309 has the best shading on all of your prev sketches. Reaaly an improvement of its own! Do not afraid to do harder shadows. I think you have to sharpen a little bit the shading. Keep up man, really good!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to knut- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kingkostas - Haha wow thanks! I thought it looked pretty good, but I didn't know it had that as you said. I don't have any more at the moment but I now surely will do more! Thank you, king!

knut- - Hey thanks for visiting and thanks for your kind comment! Yeah now when I look at it and compare to my older ones, it does look better then them and yeah it needs harder shadows - good point. This really pushes me into doing more studies!

I discovered that I have really neglected my studies, I realised that I didn't remember how to draw a pelvis! I tried to do one from memory several tmes over but constantly failed, so I had to go to Mentler's Book Of Bones (I recommend it to everyone trying to figure out the foundation of the body: the skeleton). So after one study and talking to my friend insanetk I felt that it started coming back and the frustration eased a bit. I mustn't do this again, it's really discouraging to realise that you have forgotten how to draw something that you studied intensly before. But then again, since I didn't remember how to draw it, it means that my studies weren't intense enough.

So... I want to draw the skeleton as often as I can aswell as do muscle studies and more. I wanna master the skeleton!

I also had a discussion with my friend about how to study and he told me about his non-copying policy. I really agree with this because when I studied Bridgman the last weeks I felt that something was wrong when I copied his drawings, I saw the lines and simply copied after that and I could FEEL that I didn't learn that much. SO now instead I will start studying Bridgman in another way: I can only look at his drawings 5 times when I have to and then no more. By this way I will have to look long at his drawings to understand the lines and form better and memorizing it. I think this is a better way to study then simply mindless copying which I feel really bad about.

And now some inspiring crazy music!

Here are two skeleton studies, first is from Mentler's Book of Bones, the second one is from memory, I am going to add the rest of the skeleton to it and then ut on the muscles. I want to make it into a fully painted piece.

Last edited by LORD M; June 17th, 2010 at 11:26 PM.

My TUMBLR!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like allot of your studies but your falling back into that worthless skeleton 1 muscle thing.. stop doing those.. if your going to spend 5 hours doing a study focus on specific muscle groups and see where they connect do some study/recall studies of them.. not one painting and just the front neck muscles.. also the hand a ways up is wonky. dont do renderings of them just get everything right, and do quick lines to mark the depth.. your could do what kingkostas does with the circles or find some other way to show depth and form without rendering with color or bw. NO MORE SKELETONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! the guy sitting at the end of your last post he is really too edgy his muscles are all tensed and his color bone is not good ... so... STOP DRAWING SKELETONS AND BONES!! get the figure and form down dont do this hyper analytic stuff its slow and unneeded! how many artists draw the bones then muscles on top of them? not many.. i cannot think of any.. they draw the FIGURE then if its a zombie or some shit they will draw some bones.. its just too much work.. its like... erm... cutting the grass in your lawn with scissors then after 1 million hours of painstaking work your go out and get your lawn mower and cut the grass with your lawnmower.. pointless.. ok theres my crit STOP DRAWING SKELETONS LEARN MUSLCES FIGURES AND BE LOOSE

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post

I discovered that I have really neglected my studies, I realised that I didn't remember how to draw a pelvis!... I mustn't do this again, it's really discouraging to realise that you have forgotten how to draw something that you studied intensly before. But then again, since I didn't remember how to draw it, it means that my studies weren't intense enough.

So... I want to draw the skeleton as often as I can aswell as do muscle studies and more. I wanna master the skeleton!

I also had a discussion with my friend about how to study and he told me about his non-copying policy. I really agree with this because when I studied Bridgman the last weeks I felt that something was wrong when I copied his drawings, I saw the lines and simply copied after that and I could FEEL that I didn't learn that much. SO now instead I will start studying Bridgman in another way: I can only look at his drawings 5 times when I have to and then no more. By this way I will have to look long at his drawings to understand the lines and form better and memorizing it. I think this is a better way to study then simply mindless copying which I feel really bad about.
    I'll just chime in with Krato a bit. Unless you plan on going into scientific/medical illustration you probably won't ever draw/paint a pelvis (unless you decide that is a "motif" you are interested in and you head toward fine art with it). And there is not a lot to learn from copying Bridgman - or anyone esle - read the beginning bits that Bridgman shares - that is the stuff to try to understand/practice.

The thing to study is the way light falls across form - from life. This is what it all comes down to - at least at the more accomplished levels of painting and illustration. Sure there are plenty of "styles" that head off in other directions but the pinnacle is an understanding of light on form. The reason this is so crucial is because everything relies on that - light on form is value, planes, edges, cast shadow, form shadow, highlight, accent, texture, etc. - everything except composition.

Anyway, Krato is right and I just thought I'd agree and support that. Don't waste time/energy and get distracted with technical study - learn to observe, understand and interpret - for yourself, not through others.

Also remember, Bridgman drew life-size if not larger - from life. Those little reproductions in his books are very misleading - they are life-size.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really agree with you, Krato and JeffX99. I have really becomed snowed in when it comes to skeletons and I see now why it's not good to become like this and what I should study instead, studies I have really neglected.

I think that one of the reasons why I gotten a bit snowed in when it comes to skeletons is that I have always found them fascinating, they're the foundation of the whole body and I am really wowed by how all the bones when comparing animals can be so alike and trace back to a common origin (that's my evolutionary biology going nuts over these kinda stuff ). And I guess I paniced a bit about not being able to draw the skeleton as good as I could some months ago, heh silly me. But yes, I will stop drawing skeletons and more muscles - and being less distracted by the echnical bits.

And thanks for clearifying about Bridgman. I felt a bit lost, but now I feel more on track.

BIG thanks to you guys!

And now for something I did today, a 5-6 hour study of an ld souvenier I had laying at home, so far my fifth digital life-study - gotta get that count higher!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks good

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you are doing some crazy amount of studies. And it keeps getting better and better. Post #312 shows such a good understanding of a rounded form. Have only one suggestion. Try to do some more eye studies. I think you could benefit a lot from it, as most of the time you are doing a lot of variations in figures, but eyes stay the same. It could be a good experience, just to see what you can get. Keep it going!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan Turcin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Krato - Hehe thank you.

Ivan Turcin - Thanks a lot for visiting my sketchbook and for the kind comments! Very good observation on the eyes, I fully agree on what you say now when I take a closer look - eyes I have infact hardly done any studies of, I have prosponed it which is stupid enough by me. Will do eyyyyeees!

After I did the armour study I started on this thing yesterday, wanted to do something fantasy-ish, it will only be a fast thing so I won't spend that much time on it. This one is completely from mind right now but if I get into trouble I will look up reference or do some study. - like cloth I realise I need to study because this looks horrible Critique and comment higly appriciated.

Also I gotta become less analytical Krato said and recommended that I should take a look at Algenpfleger's sketchbook , and I browsed through it and oh man I got inspired! That guy surely is something special.

My TUMBLR!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, kudos on your study, Lord M! Those big guys hits pretty hard, but they got it right to the points! I have to thank them too, because I learned something from their comments. Thank you for mentioning Algenpfleger's SB too. Keep going, Lord M!

Visit my Sketchbook!!

Don't forget to check out this hot SB too!!
    DSmith
    Seraph Fawkes
    Novbert

Finally I met some fellow comrade from Indonesia
    witcrack

35. The Following User Says Thank You to BluezAce For This Useful Post:

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gorgeous stuff in here. I like the naked man sitting and the big head especially. One thing that might help you is not drawing every line, especially aroudn the features too harsh and similar. Try softening some edges!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wonderful work

I love the study
    portrait of a woman. Not to insult but I'm new to the digital meduim. Do you start by working over the top of original image file untile in a new layer or mask then eventually ignore the underlying original??

Also, at risk of sounding ignorent; I'm stull wondering what the Gladiator ratings are. Is that an artistic achievment on this site set by yourself or the ratings of others.....Or are you all gamers who play the same popular game?

Lastly, I'm a traditional fine artist and have a portrait business. If you want to earn some extra $ on the side, I think we could work together if you can duplicate that same levels of acuracy from photos of my cleints.

Love to see something figurative in an impressionistic or realism style. Feel free corrispond or to send images off line to Artist.Fort@Gmail.com

Mark Fort,
    Principal Artisan, "Heirloom Portraiture"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing work Lord M. I remember seeing some of your finished pieces on FP. Truly entertaining work.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Xamllew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BluezAce - Haha thanks man! Ye you can say they hit pretty hard, but then I gotta be a machosist because I love it when they hit hard.

Janos - Thanks for coming back. Yes that is a good suggestion, I have thought about this but never made it into reality. Probably because I am so used to drawing every line, but I realise I need to get out of that safety-box of mine. Edges I MUST study more, saw a good thread by Elwell (I think it was him) on edges. Must check it again.

ArtisticGuy - Thanks.

Xamllew - Thank you, glad you like.

I usually wait to comment untill I got something to post with it, but I have had computer problems lately so I havent been able to use it for some time, and I need to buy a new scanner aswell. This old one from 2001 isn't working that good any longer.

The good thing about all of this is that I have gotten a lot more time over for drawing, the last days I have done more drawing in a day then I do in like 3 or 4 days, so something good came out of it all. Damn internet can be so distracting some times. NEED DISIPLINE! Now I'll be going away for ten days to a remote location in the wilderness of northern of Finland, no internet and hardly any TV there - so hopefully I will get a lot of drawing done there! (Although I do bring a laptop lol).

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice mate, use the time there to improve a lot more!!!
    I think you know the skeleton more than all of us here cause of your deep studies in the earlier pages.Also because i know your works, i know that you can simplify and start mastering the figures.You already know a lot about the body so just relax and think how to approach it.Make a series of small figures (not only quick,but small can help you not losing the proportions and you can see the overall figure better), if you find a figure problematic do the same figure again and again while trying to find out whats wrong.also by keeping it small you will be able not to be tired quickly.
    lol enough words, i believe in you skills and dedication mate!!!
    keep it up

43. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are quite some studies! The heads are getting a bit skewed and stretched out vertically at times, but the hands are looking good! Keep working!

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kingkostas - Always makes me glad to see your posts, motivates me even harder to have people like you and Krato around! Hehe, yeah I might have exagurated on the skeleton a bit, but atleast that will come to use in the future other then knowing about the wireframe of the body, like drawing The Grim Reaper or something with bones in it.

Those tips are really intresting, I will definetly try them out. And thanks yet again for your continued support!

IanE - Hey Ian and thanks for the comment and the critique. Very good point on the faces, I had hard to see that I made them this elongated, how embarrasing.

Thanks again!

Ok, I don't have a new scanner yet so I cannot put up the studies I made on my vacation, which were mainly focused on the face - studied after Vanderpoel and varius magazines and other art books I brought with.

I have been laaaaazzzzzyyyyy lately, took some time off from drawing to play Mass Effect 2 - but I feel it was worth it. I have never been this inspired to draw sci-fi before, I have only been intrested in fantasy but sci-fi is much more intresting now, but better yet one can combine the two if you want to.

After this break I felt an URGE to draw, I just had to do something so started on something I will colour. It is from mind but I must admitt I used a reference to see the alignment of the muscles and the shape of the upper arm closest to the viewer. I am kinda satisfied with the face though. Please tell me what you think.

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wanted to share some of my choise of music.

Update on the woman, changed a lot. I had to look around in some anatomy books and photos so I could understand how the new posing of the legs worked. And by sitting myself in this pose also gave new light on how to tackle the problem. Other then that everything else is from mind, trying this to see how much my studies have given me.

Critique and comments are highly appriciated.

Last edited by LORD M; August 2nd, 2010 at 11:09 PM.

My TUMBLR!

47. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well if thats from the mind i wanna say i really love its natural irregularity and flow.Actually thats really a great piece of figure work
    keep up the lovely work!!!

49. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there
    I feel the neck might be slightest bit too long and maybe head is a slightly bit too small? it might correct itself though when neck is shortened. Maybe a buttock get little squashed when one is sitting on top of them

Othervice i feel your studies has helped you clearly, nice job there !

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Nettle_Mountain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kingkostas - Haha thank you! I somehow find faces that are a bit irregular very fun and intresting to draw, that might explain a lot of strange faces I have cooked up before heh.

Nettle Mountain - Thanks for the critique on the neck and the butt, note taken. I
    widened the neck a small bit and lowered the head and it looked better - haven't fixed her butt yet though. But then again I am wondering a bit how long a neck can be, because some people can have really long necks above the average. Big thanks for your continued support!

Something I have made lately now. Here's a sci-fi armour concept that I just started and that value study I promised kostas (it's unfinished though lol).

Tried to use a lot brighter colours then I usually do, kinda like it. Must experiment more.

My TUMBLR!

53. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26