Grace Jones portrait and early wip of Event Display Image
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Grace Jones portrait and early wip of Event Display Image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Grace Jones portrait and early wip of Event Display Image

So the 30 of April Guess and Teen Vogue will be holding a benefit for Fashion Fights Poverty here in DC in which I'll be doing the title illustration set to be on display. Um....I'm kinda nervous, this is my first big chance at some exposure and so I'm coming to you guys to help me not screw this up. The marketing director wants Grace Jones (God I love this crazy bitch!!) in a oragami dress, so here's what I'm coming up with so far. I got the face mostly complete, and as soon as I start working on the body I'll post the whole thing up. Until then I would love any and all feedback on this semi artistic interpretation of her to help build my confidence in this thing (I went through five of these trying to nail a particular look I'm satisfied with).

thanks again

update

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by AdventDawn; April 28th, 2009 at 02:30 PM.
    -------------
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/mikonos[/URL]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good. Fahion illustration is all about the finish, since the audience are highly visually literate aesthetes. the flower is getting it, try and bring some of that into the rest the of the piece but don't overdo it on the face.

Your palette is good but the transition of lip to skin is a real low point at the moment. Pickup the nose and philtrum too. With this audience you can't drop the ball on anything.

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She kinda looks like Gracee JOnes, but if its supposed to be her exactly than it needs a lot of work. She is black isn't she? Also I would try keeping the pose VERY dramatic. Check some Couture poses for that, also keep it very painterly and less fotorealistic. Mistakes will be less visible and if they'd want a foto theyd have done one.

May I ask how you got the job?

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback guys, heres an update. Unfortunately I haven't been able to work on it much after I had read your comments, so don't think I'm blowing off some valid critiques

I like the advice with regards to keeping it painterly, Janos, infact what you said immediately afterwords was a direct quote from my boss. The face itself was sorta of an happy accident, as sometimes I like to use a massive sized glow tool in painter over a multiply or screen layer to give it things an ultra smooth look. I decided to take things futher with the glow to see how things turned out, and I liked what I saw and went with it, although I may have to darken the skin some.

In answer to your quest: Pretty much just aggressive networking and meeting potential employers at casual outings. My advice is to be confident and aggressive but most importantly passionate in what it is your doing. Make sure you research what potential company may be hiring you and cater your portfolio and resume that would suit what they're interested in. Don't be shy, tackle every networking opportunity you can (and I'm not talking about job fairs). In short, you want to make yourself stand out, but in a good way.

Last edited by AdventDawn; April 25th, 2009 at 03:07 PM.
    -------------
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K I went ahead and worked on the face separately and make it a more formal portrait study. It's finally finished so I hope you guys don't mind a shameless reboot (i.e. bump). Thanks in advance for all crits.

-------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a beautiful portrait. I really like your brushwork. You may have idealized her facial structure a bit. I think it's recognizable as Grace Jones mostly because of the hair style and the hood.

I think she looks too serene. Grace Jones tends to have very intense eyes. and she has a distinct forehead and jawline. Also, her skin may be darker although it varies from photo to photo.

Last edited by PsiBug; April 25th, 2009 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, this is looking sharp. Some quick observations-
    Her eyes look flat and the eyebrows look wrong, perhaps, because I imagine that most of us “see” her as having her trademark whip-like eyebrows.
    One pupil is larger than the other.
    I like her lips, but they are not Grace Jones’s lips. Hers are more shaped resembling the 1940’s style, application of lip stick, I am struggling for the words…
    Less of a bow shape on the top lip, less circular, more elliptical.
    Eh, I hope you can make some sense of what I am trying to communicate.
    The fabric on her head needs more definition and solidity.
    Double check her cheek bones, there may be something wonky there, {perhaps the recession of her jaw and cheeks} but without looking at your ref, I cannot say for sure.
    I really hope this helps, since you seem to be a couple of steps from perfection here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the style! but u must work on the eyes more ^.^ i think i'm not the first one who said that sorry ^.^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the update guys, definitely helps see things in a whole new light. Unfortunately the best I'll be able to with regards to specific piece is just keep the critiques in mind for next time, as I have to shift gears on a whole new image the marketing team wants me to do (A specific designers dress and one of her models)....sigh....13 hours into this and suddenly it gets scrapped, guess that sorta thing just happens in this line of work...oh well, I'll post the new image in a few hours once I get about half way...gonna be a long ass night.

-------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

K, this is what I came up with so far, just gotta flesh things out more and do tons of refining, but atleast the composition rendering is finished....does it work?

-------------

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.