Sketchbook: Zorcron's Sketchbook July 13 Summer Update ! - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JORDYBOARDY thanks bro haha I'm glad the feel messy and raw because thats how i feel when i paint em. you are right on target about the colors, im going to go over the still life tomorrow i think with oils and mix up some true colors this could be a cool underpainting

il keep it in mind

Ivom thanks mate !

ugh so im feelin pretty down about my digis haha i tryed to paint like 3 enviros from my head (normally it will come pretty naturally i did thumbnails and even a couple quick studies to get in the mood ) but i couldnt stick with any of em they all fell to pieces, i think i just need to get back in to the flow with digital its feeling pretty clunky for me right now

the trees are from ref just outside my window and the bird is from photo (roughly 45-60 min each )

i was trying to do some bird studies while they were at the feeder but the fly around so crazy i could just barely get in some gestures haha

page 9 eh ? time to kick it up another notch, i liked last page a lot more then the rest heh

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zorcron; January 2nd, 2010 at 07:41 PM.
    My Sketchbook

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...156231&page=11

"Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great post Zorcron
    I feel the same way about painting digitally everyday, it just depends on what I am painting. I feel especially down when I'm painting something new, but the best thing to do I think is to start over and paint it again and again until you get right. Now go do more studies dude. These look especially good. keep it up

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

Eric needs to DRAW DRAW DRAW

Do not Click DETONATE Do not Click

Deviantart page

Gotta sketchem all blog

Tumblr

3. The Following User Says Thank You to palladium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, I love JMW Turner!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to joseit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DUDE YES! thank god somebody who understands haha he is THE man when he died he had something like 19,000 unfinished watercolors/sketches 9000 unfinished oils and who knows how many more

i especially love Turner's latter work similar to Rembrant in the way that as they got older they cared less about making a living and more about painting for the sake of art or at least it would seem in that they got less popular and started doing very modern"for the time" work

they both went crazy and started ripping apart paintings but if it means i could paint at their calibre hopefully il go batcrazy get sick and start painting death too

alrighty no more posts without images

these are for anybody who has not seen turner please look him up (in no particular order)

these images do no justice to the actuall paintings them selves ive had the privilege to gaze apon many for hour apon hour (true euphoria) ((( These are images from GOOGLE i did not paint these hah i wish ))))

Last edited by Zorcron; January 3rd, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a quickie Acrylic on canvas landscape portrait format and a sneak peak at my preliminary drawings for the installation im planning on the beach ( a couple drawings of the same portion of the shore )

roughly guestimating fallen driftwood logs (which i will be using) to find the actuall height of these pillars on the landscape. its so hard to explain heh but i hope these sketches help visualize my idea a bit more

pen over photographs i took today

the scanner is playing tricks with these photos i took it made them look really old heh

Palladium thanks for the support bro good idea with restarting what doesnt look right, working in to something that isnt right at the moment is just wasting time unless you are making super awesome changes lol !

Wiki definition "Installation art describes an artistic genre of site-specific, three-dimensional works designed to transform the perception of a space" pretty good

Last edited by Zorcron; January 3rd, 2010 at 11:35 PM.
    My Sketchbook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorcron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those turner recreations are AMAZING!!! I especially love the last one. I wouldn't mind going batass crazy either if I could create like that! :3

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    they arent recreations merely photographs from the internet im flattered you think i could paint like that though heh

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel super stupid now
    It's partially due to the fact that I'm not too familiar with his work.
    O jeez, I made a fool of myself.

SKETCHBOOK

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart DeViva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful works! also, i really envy you have such a great painting room~ you are good at traditional works~ keep your feet!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ZhouPeng For This Useful Post:

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want your painting room soooo bad. Its not fair I have to work in a kitchen to paint and its not very inspiring T_T

Thanks for the tips. The environment isn't close to done but thanks for pointing those things out. Will make it easier later >.> I've been busy trying to get the dumb colour of the rocks which are a unusual shade of red and grey and green somehow combined together and it makes me sad...

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to My57 For This Useful Post:

Lav is offline Student Animationfilm Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow great sketchbook! and holy fudgecake you're only 16? But yeah you can see a turner influence in your work, i think it looks great! (i like turner and other people from his time like wiertz and friedrich a lot as well)
    Thanks for the advice you gave me btw, i'll def try it more. Sorry for the noob question, but what type of paper would you recommend for charcoal?

ps: thanks for the tip, the cupcake has been eaten!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 more pen on photo drawings planning out my installation il probably start working on the installation mid march because
    soon the pan ice is going to start building up on the shore if it gets cold enough

scanning printed photos makes em look old and grainy

UmpaArt heh dont sweat it man go look at his work though its worth a chunk of time for sure !

Zhoupeng Thanks alot ! yeah im really lovin my new space it sure does beat my small room, its great to have a physical space for working that is serperate from anything else

My57 i know how you feel when the weather starts getting better use the outdoors as your studio ! thats what i do a lot i just pack up my paints in a huge backpack,
    wrap up some pallets with tin foil take a big bottle of water and paper towel for cleaning my brushes, fit a few canvas boards in there and you are set.

cant wait for the weather to start looking up again! yeah neutral colors sometimes are pretty hard to get just right i know i still have a lot of trouble with my greys and
    browns but im working on it ! keep up the good work really lovin your SB

Lav thanks age has got nothing to do with it though ive seen way better artists my age the main thing is how much time,thought,work the person has devoted,
    some people start painting when they are 9 some 13 some 20 some 35 some 50

everybody walks their own paths... as far as paper goes i would just do some quick gestural work try and get your hands on a roll of newsprint... start using
    that stuff for all your quick gestures you work super large and i bet you the confindence in your line will improve greatly

thanks everybody

right now if i put this up it will be my best work so far IMO inspires so many thoughts for me right now this is based on how i view this piece of land almost a borderlands between the ocean and land the push and pull between the two can be long and draw out or quick and violent

the installation for me represents the borderlands between the two very different landscape (JUST GOTA WAIT TILL MARCH! spring )

working in 3d space and time is a whole new ballgame with really crazy challenges i love my paint but this is really somthin else

Last edited by Zorcron; January 5th, 2010 at 12:02 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That installation concept is coming along nicely dude. Can't wait to see it completed

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

Eric needs to DRAW DRAW DRAW

Do not Click DETONATE Do not Click

Deviantart page

Gotta sketchem all blog

Tumblr

21. The Following User Says Thank You to palladium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool looking studio, definitely seams nice place to have a quiet place just for painting, looks like it has a nice view too, and is that a microwave I see? I'll also mention that winsor and newton make some oil paint that works with water which would probably be easier on your body in the long term.

Anyway for this peace here http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1260849679 I think if you emphasized that c curve and flattened all of its lines into a single line in the distance you could in essence use the tool of convergence from linear perspective in a organic painting. That beach painting in the post before is amazing as well. Mostly I am just suggesting you could augment the effect.

As far as portraits go the last portrait painter that I looked into was Steven Assael who does a great job of making skin tones glow, so he might be worth looking into. First heard about him here http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84105 . Found some steps here http://ericrhoads.blogs.com/the_port...en-assael.html.

For the sketch here http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1262570680 I think you could have placed some lighter elements on the left to give it some more depth with atmospheric perspective. The values for it overall are very good though. Maybe try framing some foreground elements once in a while too.

on a side note, Is the anatomy book you have, "classic human anatomy ... "?

Everything looks like its coming along nicely, just keep it up!

Tenminutedrawing - awesome learn to draw series http://www.youtube.com/user/moatddtutorials
    A short list of my favorite tutorials http://surfandsnow.deviantart.com/journal/22269212/

My Sketchbook

23. The Following User Says Thank You to surfandsnow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    busy all day but i made the time to go out in the studio late tonight and get in my painting ! nothing gets in my way haha

just some landscape study acrylic on cavas some pen here and there the first one is obviously more finished then the second

with the first one ive layed in a bit of groundwork but now i can push and pull the values and start to build up some nice variation i think i spent way too long trying to mix a grey that was not really different then all the other greys in the dumb photo i miss working from outside this weather suckkksss

ive probably spent 15 min on the second one or so but i know i always like seeing other people's raw sketches so...

Surfandsnow wow man you never stop posting informative positive morale / crit do you ? thanks for the wonderfull links and feedback im not quite sure of what you mean by "Frame the foreground " but i do realise i should not forget about it i think for a a lot of my paintings it ends up being just a dead space il work on fixing this problem though !

as far as oil paints that work with water ive seen em at the local art store but i kind of wondered if they would actually do the job

also do you know anything about the consistancy ? i work with linseed stand oil a lot i really love how thick it gets pushing it around the canvas all day is just pure joy

Palladium thanks bro i cant wait either haha

WORKING every day im getting quite a bit done i cant believe how lazy i used to be with my art

expecting to see progress a'las expectations lead to misery but i'd rather be miserable and get lots of work /painting done then what ever else RAWR!

i need to get back to some portrait and figure work as well

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some nice work. Your paintings and drawings are quite expressive and I really like that one image you were working on of the stairway in the dark cave(?) at the top of the page. Is that one still a WIP or are you still working on it?

"Every artist was at first an amateur." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://drgnelf.deviantart.com

(sketchbook here on CA) http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175468

26. The Following User Says Thank You to drgnelf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for posting your 15 minute painting. As you said, we all love seeing the raw sketches. For some reason they are usually really interesting.

SKETCHBOOK

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart DeViva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great work. Your colors are very nice too. Better then I could ever do with acrylic. Keep it up.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to brubaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hrm the winter is so cold, grey and depressing right now

a snow covered field acrylic sketch on canvas

Drgnelf thanks very much ! i dont think il keep working on that paticular painting though i did learn a lot, perhaps i will revisit the idea soon...

Umpaart thanks mate , well for me personally when i look at someones "raw sketches " i can see how they work and think a little more clearly then just something more finished and polished. keep up the sketches !

Brubaker thanks lots ! though i need way more work with color im sure you could play with acrylics and learn much if thats what you want i sure do recommend it haha, its just too much fun !

im trying to break out of my landscape comfort zone at least with my composition and work with canvas sizes i dont normally work with squarish and portrait scale but i really should cut down on the landscape i suppose *sigh* just one more turns in to one more turns in to more haha

i wont be able to paint from friday to monday ive got a grandfather visiting who i shall have to entertain hopefully il come back with some renewed vigor !

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff man, I really see improvement in your digital and traditional works, you definitely start to nail those colors and values in place, keep the practice waiting for more.

cheers!

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just attempting to give back what this community has given to me and by "framing a Element of the foreground" I meant to pick a element like a tree, post, wall etc and move it so close to the "camera" that it would block out(take up and or go into) a large portions of the frame, perhaps the entire width and or height of the frame etc. It alters the composition quite a bit so it might not be something to do all the time, but it can add quite a bit of depth though.

I actually had a link in mind but was a little too lazy to find it, but here it is http://features.cgsociety.org/story_...id=3275&page=3 the part about the L at the top of the article. In the article they sort of frame middle ground elements, but I think it would push the contrast of distance more if it was done with a element of the foreground. dont know anything about consistency though, dont work with paint that much, just see some stuff about paints etc every once in a while.

Tenminutedrawing - awesome learn to draw series http://www.youtube.com/user/moatddtutorials
    A short list of my favorite tutorials http://surfandsnow.deviantart.com/journal/22269212/

My Sketchbook

35. The Following User Says Thank You to surfandsnow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome SB Zorcon!! Love your enviro's, especially the canvas work. Keep up the good work my friend!!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Turbosnail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    alright so when are you gunna teach me to manipulate space year freak'n go'n into enterdamisions HAHA is yer grandpa into art maybe you can paint him an entertain 2 for one special

39. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wows, nice traditional stuff man - you're right I should try more stuff like this, great work! Wish I was so enthusiastic at your age Hope you make the most of it!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexTooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alrighty hey guys im back, hope all is well

i had an interview at NSCAD im thinking il go there for now and then maybe exchange second year second semester to Cooper union and see whats what (still going to do the home test though )
    so anyways my interview was with the Chair of Foundation year and he gave me tons of solid feedback.
    i got my Portfolio Waived so i dont need to worry about that as far as my application goes

went to the beach today and did a couple installation studies just sort of getting my feet wet before i delve in to this big project

My grandfather is a super conservative business man who and i quote said "if everybody was ""creative" the whole world would fall apart " i tryed to explain how the great leaders and thinkers of the world are very creative so are engineers and scientists ect (im a creative type now lol wtf )

anywho he doesnt like the fact im going to artschool ect ect (though i was very understanding and polite while he was here )
    he makes fun of and downplays things he doesnt understand bah !

so screw him

heres one of my fav chill tunes just sit back close your eyes and crank the Volume

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r5Kd...eature=related (anybody know how to embed vids in my post ?)

DannyK thanks bruv il keep at it ! keep up the great work yourself

Surfandsnow those links were very helpful thanks for clearing that up

Turbosnail thanks mate, you too !

GRANNNNYYY hey bruv thanks YOU ROCKKK CANT GET ENOUGHHHH .... haha good idea but read above

AlexTooth totally i look forward to seeing some, thanks im just lucky i got to find what i love so early in life

My Sketchbook

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some sweet new studio space you know? Lucky. On the painting front, I would say slow down a little and make sure you put down what you want and where the first time. Things are looking a bit rushed.

The landscapes are my favourite subject matter of yours. There's lots of emotion in them. Post 231 are also the best of the paint-jar paintings in my mind. The yellow works well in the one, and the shape of both is the best of the batch.

Congratz on the NSCAD news! And the instalation piece looks interesting. Have you thought of using things other than driftwood?

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the post in my book dude, you've got some really awesome experiments and oil paintings in here. Why not try painting some reproductions of Turner's work? Master studies are great ways to improve, even if it's not very close to the original.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasper_ For This Useful Post:

Lav is offline Student Animationfilm Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the quote of your granddad made me laugh a little How can you even be a good problem solver if you cant think creativly and outside the box? O.o
    Anyways, really curious to see the end result of your installation, too bad you have to wait till march >.<

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Lav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ugh i havnt got much done in the past week heres a quick sketch while having coffee im working on my Essays right now for my applications

i ordered this huge ass sketchbook like seriously huge im pumped for it to arrive haha

i really need to leave lines when i put them down i think this probably looked fine as a quick sketch with the first 15 marks.... i get too scribbly time to start fixing it

Pixie Trick yeah im pretty sure i need to do that with everything heh "slow down and think about what i put down" i need to find a nice balance between energy and cleanliness

thanks , yeah i need to find a good way of producing that arch shape i have in the drawings its almost like a prediction of where each piece will fall/ how they stood up anywho i like the shape. so perhaps with some rods of steel or wire or something i need to figure that out...

Jasper thanks mate, thats a good idea il get at it ... i really love your work by the way keep it up !

Lav hah yeah... what can you do . im starting the installation tomorrow or the day after depending on people... i figured i can do it in crap weather too it will probably yield better results anyways = )

(what a crap post il make up for it... )

Last edited by Zorcron; January 15th, 2010 at 11:39 PM.
    My Sketchbook

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorcron For This Useful Post:

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get yourself something big and permanent (Like a kid's magic marker or something that sort of size..big sharpie... whatever) and automatically, if you put too many lines it turns into a big black inkspot. Good incentive.

In terms of slowing down, a mix of timed long and short pieces pushes you to be versatile. Like between 1 minute and two+ hours. Do a master study like Jasper said and spend a good 10 hours on it. Just suggestions...

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2