Thread: Casual Art Boom

Thanks

Casual Art Boom

Eh,

Went to the shops today and noticed ImagineFX magazines are sold out in all the book stores and stationary shops in the mall. Not bad for an expensive imported magazine. I even went as far and bought the Corel Painter mag, yes.. The one with the old dude riding a turtle in it near the back that rings a bell of needlework and decoupage.. Yeeeesh!!

These usually just sit there for the delivery man to collect them again. But ImagineFX is like sweet cakes.

I bought a book called “Fantasy landscapes and City scapes” by Rob Alexander. When I was at the counter a girl came in and asked if the shop has art magazines, the dudes at the till hit the computer to check their records, I answered and said that I know ImagineFX is sold out, she did not even stay to hear the shopkeeper’s results out she went looking a bit obsessive and disappointed like I usually do.

Could we be having a boom? This is in Southafrica maybe we are riding at the back of the storm I don’t know. Has something similar been noticed elsewhere?
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    If they're special imports to your country then there's probably not a sufficient quantity to go around.

Same deal here in New Zealand.

Thanks
    i'm waiting for the new may issue of imaginefx to hit the states, desperately.. waiting.. europe and uk always gets it first! :|

Thanks
    If the May issue is the Manga one then im glad i bought a subscription some great stuff in this one, but sadly i think a lot of manga fan boys will just buy because of the manga title and not because of any actual art info.. but not to put a damper on any art boom thoughts
    -Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rossipoo View Post
    i'm waiting for the new may issue of imaginefx to hit the states, desperately.. waiting.. europe and uk always gets it first! :|
    It should already be here. I saw it in the bookstore on Saturday when I went in. I'll be picking it up this weekend. ImagineFX must be the only magazine other than Combat Aircraft that I buy on a consistent basis.

Thanks
    I had a same problem in Belgium, first there were only 2examples in the bookstore, they sold out really quick, so they demanded 10 examples. Those were sold out after 1-2 days aswell, atm the bookstore got 25 IFX examples, and still get sold out quickly. It pushed me to buy a subscription (pound was standing quite low at that moment).
    I can advise to buy a subscription if you are really willing to buy the IFX, but you might want to wait till the right time. They are putting some DVDs when you buy a subscription. So wait till there is a useful (in you opinion) DVD.

-Sorry for the English-

Thanks
    imaginefx goes pretty quickly here too (UK) its only more recently that the local whsmith has had sufficient quantities in. I think art has became more mainstream with the rise of anime and the likes, many bookshops have comic/manga sections how and its far easier to get things like screentone, how to books and markers than it used to be- though wether that equates to a boom or is just the result of more artists finding out about IFX etc i do not know!

Thanks
    They seem to import in equal amounts for all imported mags, I'd say about fifteen to twenty each.

Come mid to end month, the Photoshop, Creative Photoshop, Painter mags are still there but IFX has hit the sold out mark this month. Last month there where three or so.

Fanning through a IFX I always seem to get that "It's just about worth the bucks feeling" Painter rarely convinces me to buy it, there might be an article that touches on something but then the rest of it would be useless to me.

I think they are to wide with painter trying to show off it's diversity and "what can painter do". ImagineFX are more focused on the work of the dudes out there in digital art, and there is always some generous knowledge juice in there in line with my interests. Eye candy, inspiration and I think the new editor is also a bit of a nut. Hehe!!

I am pretty new to digital and concept art but it has sucked me in. I don't think that there's a problem with a lack of appreciation for it, I think it's merely that there is a lack of exposure in this type or form. Who goes to art museums accept maybe students these days? That’s why I think we might be having a bit of a boom here as soon as it get’s fully discovered.

My wife also enjoys IFX now, And have picked one the same one more than once, She even asked me this month, which one the latest one is?
    She's not an arto but she loves her movies, she's a big jonny depp, the crow and Resident evil fan so it's understandable that this stuff would appeal to her.

Perfect for reading in bed.
    Last edited by George Abraham; April 23rd, 2009 at 06:31 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.