Donate your old art to a good cause :)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Donate your old art to a good cause :)

Greets!

I've recently put together a web site that's intended to eventually be a repository of freely-licensed art for use in open source game development. Anyway, if you're inclined to help out and you have some old, unused art sitting around on your hard drive gathering dust, donating it be a great way to let it see the light of day.

The site is located at this link:
    http://opengameart.org

Even if you're not inclined to license any of your art, just stopping by, checking the site out, and leaving a comment with your thoughts would be immensely helpful.

Peace,
    Bart

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Be Careful of what you can get for free.
    Some one here said that...not sure who

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this doesn't mean to sound like a flame but how exactly is this a good cause? what IS the cause?
    When I read the subject I assumed it had something to do with charity ...

Last edited by German-s; April 21st, 2009 at 01:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    Be Careful of what you can get for free.
    Some one here said that...not sure who
    The whole point of this is so that there's a trusted place that open source game developers can go to get good art for free without worrying about violating someone's copyright or getting bitten by some sticky licensing issue.

I hope (but don't expect) people will donate some art to the cause. I'm also in the process of commissioning some art to add to the archive, and I'll continue to do so over the coming months. I'm not exactly loaded, but commissioning works to be released under a free license is my way of giving back to the open source community, which in my opinion has done a lot of great work.

OpenGameArt.org
    Free, legal art for Open Source game projects

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by German-s View Post
    this doesn't need to sound like a flame but how exactly is this a good cause? what IS the cause?
    When I read the subject I assumed it had something to do with charity ...
    I'm honestly not used to the responses to this being quite so negative, so I'm not sure quite what to think. The "cause" in this case is to supply art resources to people who create games for free. I've got several reasons for this:

First, a lot of cool concepts go unnoticed because the art is horrible. This is really the biggest barrier in the development of open source games -- too many programmers, not enough art. It would be nice if people who were developing programs for free could go somewhere and get art for the same price.

Secondly, I see far too many open source projects ripping art out of commercial games (or other sources they don't have a license for) to use as placeholders, which looks terrible for the project and is a gross violation of the artist's rights.

Third, I make my living using open source software. Spending the time, effort, and money (for hosting and commissions) on this site is my way of giving back.

So, is this some sort of save the world charity? No, of course not. It's just intended to be a cool project that will help people develop games.

Bart

OpenGameArt.org

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's a good idea; it may give some talent some head start out there without having to pay for it.

I think there are allot of places where it's like that where it's made hard for a beginner or someone with potential to get into something. Good developers usually have a good eye for selection but not creating themselves or they don’t have mastery over what they have in mind as they might have spent their energies becoming master developers.

It would be a good idea that there should be one clause in the deal though.. that the contributor’s art get's their names going wherever the art is going, that the games should include some file or imbedded meta data with the contributors names in them that can be accessed should someone be interested.

You never know, something might happen and developers or artists could be picked up for paid work somewhere.

And just because it's roalty free does not mean that should the game become a work of genius that the idea as a whole can't be secured but that's a second rated aim in my opinion.

I think the real value is the challenge and the experience can gain in learning just what it entails to desighn game art as there is some sort of relationship you have to build.
    Game art needs to be game friendly, just what does that mean etc...? And what and how do you collaborate in developing game art, what "language" do you need to enable the developer and game artist go have work meet?

I'm sure it won't be a problem either to include stuff like these to artist's portfolio or resume'.

Last edited by George Abraham; April 21st, 2009 at 02:47 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This doesn't smell right. Im staying away...

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

∑ or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    O idk i mean why limit it to just old art why donít we throw in old 3d models, user-interfaces, ect....
    Its all for a good cause right

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    Care to elborate?

I've done my best to make sure everything is as open and up front as possible, which is the whole point of open source. If you check the FAQ, I elaborate a lot more on my goals and reasoning. That said, if something in particular bothers you, I'd really like to know what it is so that I can remedy it.

Bart

OpenGameArt.org

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    O idk i mean why limit it to just old art why donít we throw in old 3d models, user-interfaces, ect....
    Its all for a good cause right
    Already on it.

OpenGameArt.org

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.