Sketchbook: From bad to worse, but practice makes it alittle better! :) (11/03/10)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

From bad to worse, but practice makes it alittle better! :) (11/03/10)

Wel here is my sketchbook, which I have finally got back round to updating after quite awhile, but as I have now finished Uni and have the spare time to draw until my lazy ass gets a job I think I should keep it going and give regular updates.

I'd love any advice anyone can give me as most of the work on here is amazing and at a skill level that I would love to achieve one day. It seems that everytime I do a new drawing I always think that the last one is pants, so I guess thats at least showing that I am gradually improving (or perhaps my eyesight is getting worse, who knows)

This first dump is just some portrait sketching, taking between an hour and 3 hours usually. I feel that I have to start working bigger though as I began to work really small originally but now im almost at the stage of being comfortable doing a full a4 pencil drawing rather than an a5 size which is what I normally do :/

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Fiori; March 5th, 2010 at 05:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are also some Wacom pieces about a year ago, unfortunatly I havent touched it since then, but I definatly plan to when I finish uni in a month or so as I love my lovely intuos 3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude! That 3rd asian guy in the first image looks exactly like my friend!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice rendering skills, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well here is an update after quite a while, which is a mixture of some work done in the last few weeks (the newest one is the life drawing+the old guy) I am really feeling the art buzz at the moment and its my aim to keep posting on here as much as I can with new work, so please slap my wrist if I dont

Also I think I need to start using more grainy paper, as my recently work doesnt seem to have as much impact. I bought a Windsor & Newton sketchbook but the paper has no life to it and it seems hard to keep a consistent value at times

I think one of the main problems I have with drawing is that the more I think about it the harder it gets, for example to draw a simple cube is easy in perspective seems easy but then when I start to think about it I make it more complicated than it has to be, anyone else feel the same way?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A piece I did quite a few months ago but i thought id put it on and mention it as its a person I know and I find that to be much harder to do than a random person!! Im still not happy about the piece but I refrained from throwing it away as im sure little kids arent much of an art critic (or perhaps they are the worse??)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very good stuff! your pencilwork is really good. keep it on!
    also the aples are well done

patience is the virture of the succesful ones!

my scetchbook:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...79#post2660679

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like you portrait studies, very lifelike.

Also, you said that drawing gets harder once you start thinking? I would suggest to stop thinking then I believe all the thinking happens before you start drawing, so ust let your drawing hand do the job. Listening to music is a good idea. I let the melodies and instruments involved do the thinking for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. Yes I will pay attention to the arm, it's taken from reference but it's a little tricky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some very nice rendering skills friend. Very nice indeed. My question is, why such a long break between showing us your work?

*New Sketchbook* Come stop by :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I was back at Uni in my final year after rmy first post, studying product design w/ animation so I didnt really have much free time left. Then after all the hubbub of attempting to find a job I seemed to lose my art groove, fortunately its back now and im getting into the "why don't I have a pencil and sketchbook in my hand" mode again, so hopefully i'll keep updating regularly now. I feel like i'd love to get a job in a more artsy field now like concept art, painting, or 3D animation, rather than design maybe, so I would just like to progress to the level that I see many of the people here are already at

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi and thanks for visiting/commenting at my sketchbook.

Your portrait work is quite good. You seem to understand form, and volume and your rendering has a soft but nice touch. Your figures have some anatomical issues though...so as you continue to study...that might be something to work on. You have a good touch on the Wacom...especially nice job on that 1st apple.

I've done some animation too...although am usually too busy these days to do more than wish I had more time to spend on it. I'll try to make it over to you animation link sometime.

Glad to hear you have some of your drawing mojo back...keep 'em coming.

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sinto - I wish I could stop thinking when I draw and sometimes I can just go with the flow, but especially with things like figure studies I end up just thinking hmm so where should this be and how do that atach to that etc.

Jephyr X- thanks for the comment, I want to try and up my game so to speak with my portrait drawings as I have difficulty doing them from imagination (although im gradually improving) also when im drawing something from above or below it takes me forever to just get the structure right, but its all practice right

Well here are some more pieces I have been doing, all are from the last week (except the page with the muscular woman which was a month or so ago) anyway recently i've been trying figure drawing alot more and just doing 5 - 15 minute sketches, so here are a few from that. Also every morning I do a page of posemaniac drawings whic I enjoy as it gets my arm loosened up, I am feeling more of the movement and form as I have been doing them so thats a good sign. I have also got to learn to be less scratchy with my line work and more confident in where I put a line, but again practice practice practice

Also, I havent put them on this thread as I dont want to double post them, but am commited to doing a portrait a day like many others have if you want to check out my daily portrait thread

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.