race day.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: race day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

race day.

Hey guys, its been a while since up put my work up in the front lines, hopefully the critique center has some good shizz to say. Keep in mind i havent finished painting alot of the things properly like the wheel and her hands.

With this image im not to sure of the colour scheme as i tried to get a subtle balance between greens and browns, but the problem is i dont know how effective it is. This is because im a bit colourblind with green and brown so i can see the temperature shift but i cant actually see the greens, so some reassurance that what im doing is correct, or harsh criticism would be appreciated.

The other aspect id like comments is on the story telling and modd on the peice, what sort of vibe are you getting from this and does it all fit together in a cohesive world?

those are the main 2 things im looking for crits on but crit away on everything guys.

If you do actualy take the time to write a crit, thanks guys .
    Name:  critique2.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  207.5 KB

Last edited by Muz; April 20th, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drawing looks good, but I don't really see what you're trying to do with "a subtle balance between greens and browns." There's no reason I know of to make the shadows green, unless you're going for some kind of special effect. It might help a bit if you explained more what you were trying to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quite a nice drawing you've got here, muzzoid! I think the green/brown is actually quite nice, but I definitely think the green could lose some saturation. The wall in particular is flattening out a bit much, let it drop back. I don't know that the green in her cast shadow on the red wall would be quite so green either, but on the other hand I think it's a very nice effect. Working well otherwise. Get some better definition into her torso and foot. That's all I've got for now .

-Sid

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Muz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Just a tiny bit long'ish neck?
    -Her left forearm could be straightened. Style?
    -Spot light on the wetfloor. Coming from? Kneecap? (Too strong)
    -Rotate the right bicep and shoulder muscle in maybe?

The brown and green makes the piece feel subdued.
    Not the regular colours that I was expecting for a racer piece.
    The mood for me is dictated by her eyes and mouth. Pensive/sad.
    She just lost, or about to push off the wall and walk to the racer.
    Her hand and left feet, plus her back leans towards the latter. (For me)

-Does the tyre have to be there?
    -Is that forward lean deliberate?

Double check the reflections on the trash can. A lot of lights, no?

Sweet work so far.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to vardoburrito For This Useful Post:

Muz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers guys!

Giacomo: im trying to push my understainding of colour to make use of strange colour combinations to create a mood. I was just looking at your site and i really think you should break out of your perception of "real" colours, and experiment alot more, the lack of colour experimentation makes alot of your work boring.

For example, skin with a completly ambient light appears to be green, not skin tone.

Sidharth Chaturvedi:

Thanks man... i had no idea that the green had much saturation so ill go fix that up. (darn you colour blindness). Ill drop the wall back as well .

dwardo;

Thanks for the killer crits!

The spotlight on the floor is a specular reflection, im pretty sure i correctly placed it but ill drop it back a bit.

With the tyre, thats a visual cue to show isntantly what the peice is about, without it you have no idea what it is exactly she does, hell she could be a game show contestent with that getup..... Ill detail it properly and then drop it out of focus, but i want to keep it there.

Its good to know the sort of sombre feel i was aiming for is getting across really well. Trying to get across any message at all used to be a huge problem of mine but its good to know that im improving in this, even if it is a really simple concept.

Cheers guys, ill work this stuff in then repost.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There Should be a sign or something telling us that she's in the pits and (this is just me.) maybe some logos some where on her suit. (Nuspeed, CLutchmasters, MelloYello.) That help to tell the story. Good work on this so far.

I'm the guy that does his job! You must be the other guy!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...73#post2633373 <- longest link to a sketchbook ever.
    http://thesketchersden.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah i was thinking of that shiz, about the advertisments but ill add that last (no point painting details just to have to repaint them when i change rhe forms. I dont agree about the pits sign though, id rather keep it ambguos. Whats the point of an image if you end up telling everything to the viewer with signs?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.