Good place to start?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good place to start?

What would you consider being the best place to start. I have found myself bitting and bobbing between landscape/environments and figures/characters. But I feel i should be concentrating on one at a time. Which would you go for first to build a solid foundation in artistic skill? People and Anatomy or Landscape and Environments?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, those landscapes will look pretty desolate without any figures and characters in them, won't they? If your aim is to draw paintings including both chars and landscape I would start with the characters. If your goal is to become a great landscape artist, focusing on the beauty of nature...

It all depends on your artistic intention and goals.

If you're into fantasy I can recommend "Fantastic realms" (Shane). He goes through creatures, characters and environments, starting with drawing basics, simple perspective etc. Very inspiring book - drawing gestures from it for the "Spartan training camp" atm :-)

Also recommend you to take a look at my "drawing basics" link in the sig - that thread includes many useful links and advices.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindbendermind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would say it doesn't matter too much. Anatomy would probably be the more common thing to start with I suppose, just since that's the first thing most artists want to draw. Learn both if you can, but you can easily learn one without being too great at the other. Just do what you're interested in.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Start small and simple and work your way big. Meaning start with simple shapes, then work on more complex things.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you don't have a goal then it is really hard to start somewhere or decide where you are headed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, Thanks guys. I want to head for concept design. But I thought the best way through this would to do computer animation at a university, get a job afterwards, preferably in video games and then try to work up and get into concept work. Lol I guess I just answered my own question. Going animation first I think anatomy would be a good place to start. Thanks for bringing this to light.

Trouble is I like both I see some kick ass character designs on here and major epic landscapes. Both get my giblets sizzling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomy and perspective are precursors to everything. Try to start with some Loomis, Bridgeman, Vilppu, find some info on composition, figure out your weak areas periodically and adjust. Don't neglect your imaginative work, it's important to determine where you are so you can progress. The most important thing to learn is confidence. Remember that your drawings aren't precious. You have to get all the bad ones out of the way early. It only takes time and knowledge. And make it fun, it's hard to improve if it seems like a chore. Good luck.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Collywobbles For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.