Definition of 'Illustrator' in Quebec - need input by end of April 19
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Definition of 'Illustrator' in Quebec - need input by end of April 19

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Definition of 'Illustrator' in Quebec - need input by end of April 19

Hi everyone, this is a bit of a plea for input from the illustration community at large, and especially those of you who work in Quebec. My ex-Illustration Program Head at Dawson College is in a battle of wills with the Quebec Government over their definition of what it is to be an illustrator in a professional sense. Only recently have they acknowledged that illustration is a profession distinct and separate from graphic design. Their view of how illustrators are employed in the real world is limited to film, animation, video and gaming, in a strictly post-production role. We all know this is ridiculous, and so I'm helping her gather some numbers to better define her argument to them about who we are as illustrators and the variety of roles we undertake.

The argument is important due to how the Government determines the funding of programs such as the Illustration program at Dawson College, and whether or not it is a true professional career (worthy of a status change in the nature of the diploma one receives) or just a step towards what they would define as a career in some other related field (graphic design, 3D modelling, etc.) as a pre-university certificate.

This is short notice, however, as she's going into discussions on Monday morning so I'll just keep an eye out on any input readers on here may have. She (my ex-instructor) asks two questions:

1) Who works in the fields of film, video, gaming, and animation, and more importantly, in roles other than post-production? (My own addendum to this question is to ask that you mention what illustrative roles you work, or have worked in, beyond these fields.

2) Who works for companies with 6 or less employees?

Thanks for reading,

Greg

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work for a game studio in Quebec as a concept artist or "Illustrator". The job application actually lists the position as "Illustrator". The company has over 200 people, I think.

Hope that helps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RogerAdams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work in a game studio of around 200 as well and there is a career path here called Illustrator. However my own title is 2d artist because while I sometimes do illustration, I also do GUI, animation and just about anything 2d.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    are you also making a case for print illustration?

The list of artists currently working freelance doing book covers, editorial, and advertising and in no way related to graphic design is tremendous. I mean, I only really follow people in the f/sf genre doing things like Magic cards and comics and fantasy covers, and even in that niche there's an abundance, but all told it's a massive network of individuals out there. Look to the Society of Illustrators annuals for examples of contemporary mainstream illustrators in the print market, and to Spectrum for contemporary genre illustration

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you to everyone who replied. Your information and insight was useful and the meeting apparently went very well. Always go into a meeting prepared

Cheers!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Edwin For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.