Thanks

anybody like Lebbeus Woods?

I think he has some interesting drawings/ideas....little different than most conceptual archs. Just wondering if anyone else likes his stuff? If so, can you recommend one of his books? I have Terra Nova and have looked at radical reconstruction. However i know nothing about the others.

thx.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    guess not.

Thanks
    got a link to any of his stuff? i havent heard of him before...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 134 Posts
    Oh yea, the dude is a genius, he isnt well known as he deserves but he has had a huge influence in game and film design, some of the sets in 12 monkeys plagurized his work, I just watched the time maching last night and lots of dweling structures of the future humoniods were very reminicent of his work.

http://www.kmtspace.com/lebwoods.htm
    http://www.benedict.com/visual/12monkeys/12monkeys.asp

Thanks
    wow! that's news to me. Every time i thumb through terra nova and see that chair....it makes me think about 12 monkeys. I had no idea all that happened. Pretty obvious though.

Thanks
    Lebbeus is extremely well know in his field (architecture) and has been extensively influencial (ripped off???) there as well. I recommend The New City which is where I first found him...it is large format and delicious. Anarchitecture is better for theory and has more work including some competitions and a lot of wonderful physical models. Check abebooks.com for out of print. I know Stephan Martiniere loves Lebbeus and Stephan did do design work for the Time Machine. If you like Lebbeus and want to chase other edge architects, go find Daniel Leibskind and Zaha Hadid (?).....for some fantastic 3d architectural work, go check out Darrel Anderson's stuff at Braid.com. He's building his worlds in 3d on his own softward called Groboto....If you're on a mac...you can download a copy and try your hand...It's amazing and will be HUGE soon.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Here's a story on the lawsuit vs Universal for Lebbeus copyright infringement in 12 monkeys...
    http://www.benedict.com/visual/12monkeys/12monkeys.asp

xnku Guest
    yeah, keyth. lebbeus woods is amazing. i could go on forever...

i can't remember the name of the book now, but there is a book he did, that is out of print. almost impossible to find. a friend has it, if i see him i'll ask him the name of it. incredible stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    for those of you who dont know...dave seeley is a really great illustrator...check his website on his profile....fantastic stuff!

he is one of the next two artists we are adding to the main page of the site.

welcome aboard dave...glad to see you here.

j

Thanks

Thanks
    Pehaps it's old stuf but i'll post it anyway..

http://www.fat-cat.co.uk/splitart/re...on-images.html

Thanks
    that's funny. i'm currently listening to Mum (fat-cat recording artist) and Gray posts images of Lebbeus Woods that are on the fat-cat site.

what the hell are woods images doing on a record labels site? weird...

Thanks
    "imagine twilightzone theme"

I haven't got a clue.. Got this link sometime back from a site and saved it.

strange..

Thanks
    Wow! This guy is awsome, His stuff looks like sci-fi shit from the 1800s. Great thread Keyth.

Thanks
    This guy needs more attention.

That's some good looking stuff.

Thanks
    oh yeah...im a big fan

i did a 12 page paper on him a couple years ago in an Architecture class...

great stuff... i would love to see some full scale versions made (of his more feasable designs, of course)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keyth
    I think he has some interesting drawings/ideas....little different than most conceptual archs. Just wondering if anyone else likes his stuff? If so, can you recommend one of his books? I have Terra Nova and have looked at radical reconstruction. However i know nothing about the others.

thx.
    All of his books are great and his artwork is simply outstanding! His work was often used as a source of inspiration by so called "production designers". One case is known as a film called 12 monkeys:

In 1987, artist Lebbeus Woods took a graphite pencil and created his vision of a chair. The chair is shown inside a large chamber with a high ceiling, mounted on a wall in front of a suspended sphere, and with a visibly jointed grid forming the floor and wall. Hence the self-descriptive title "Neomechanical Tower (Upper) Chamber".

Universal Studios released the artful film 12 Monkeys in December of 1995. Bruce Willis plays the distraught time traveler, Joe. In the beginning of the movie, Joe is brought into the interrogation room and told to sit in a chair which is attached to a vertical rail on the wall. As Joe sits in the chair, it slides up the rail, suspending Joe helplessly several yards above the floor. A sphere supported by a metal armature is suspended directly in front of Joe, probing for weaknesses as the inquisitors interrogate him. Joe is unlucky enough to return to the chair three more times throughout the movie.

Lebbeus' chair was originally published in Germany in 1987 in a catalog entitled Lebbeus Woods/Centricity. A colorized version of the chair was later published in the US in 1992 in a collection entitled Lebbeus Woods/The New City. Chair On January 18, 1996, Lebbeus Woods went to the theater to see 12 Monkeys. Apparently he was not amused; a week later he notified Universal Studios that he considered the interrogation room to be an unauthorized reproduction of his work.

The director, Terry Gilliam, admitted that he reviewed a copy of the book that contained the drawing "Neomechanical Tower (Upper) Chamber", and that he discussed it with both the producer, Charles Roven, and the production designer, Jeffrey Beecroft.

"They believe themselves crators, or innovators, when in actuality they are nothing more nor less than the executors of a physical and social order designed by those institutions presently holding political authority and power." - Lebbeus Woods, Anarchitecture - Architecture as a Political Act.

The court found that a comparison of "Neomechanical Tower (Upper) Chamber" and the footage of the interrogation room in 12 Monkeys demonstrated that "the movie had copied Woods' drawing in striking detail." The court cited the fact that the wall and floor were composed of a visibly jointed grid, the walls had the same worn texture, and a horizontal shelf and apron near the top of the vertical rail. The chairs themselves consist of four rectangular planes, arm-rests with diagonal supports, etching on the chair back. The court also noted the both spheres were suspended in front of the chair from a metal framework with similar surface designs.

The judge ruled for Woods, a result that would require Universal Studios pull all copies of the movie from world-wide circulation after only a month's run. Universal would be able to subsequently release film after the scenes in containing the offending chair had been excised to the cutting room floor, a fate that had befallen the Devil's Advocate. Showing that he had a sense of humor after all, Lebbeus Woods allowed Universal to continue distribution of the movie, chair and all, for a high six-figure cash settlement.

anybody like Lebbeus Woods?

http://www.benedict.com/Visual/Monkeys/Monkeys.aspx