Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts

Icon IDW #99: Ultimate Drawing Tool

IDW #99: Ultimate Drawing Tool

Topic: Ultimate Drawing Tool

Background: For round 99 I thought we'd do something a bit different than usual. For this round, the concept or idea is the most important part of your entry. It's also an opportunity for you to figure out what would be the most ideal and awesome tool to make art with for yourself.

So, instead of heaving just the usual single entry with a rendering, for this round you're required to come up with at least 3 different ideas or concepts. Those can be in the form of a single sketch or several sketches with a piece of text to go with it or whatever other form you wish to put it in. However, they should be developed to a point where the viewer can at least understand the idea and is able to judge it on it's worth. A single scribble is not a finished concept usually.

Furthermore, you need to pick one of your concepts and work it out further into a final design and rendering/explanation of that design, much like the usual stuff you'll find in any IDW round. Post the concepts along with your final in a single image in the Finals Thread please.

As you might notice, the deadline is still within a week. However, since I'm working on making IDW round 100 as special and awesome as I can (including prizes and everything!) I might be a bit flexible with this deadline since it might take me a bit more time to organise things. Anyway, be inventive and engage your own creativity!

Edit: One more thing, obviously we're not talking about a simple pencil and paper solution for this one, even if it would be your ideal tool. That'd be a bit too easy now won't it

Brief:
    1. Design and draw the Drawing Tool of your dreams!
    2. Come up with at least 3 different ideas/concepts before you move on to your final!
    3. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Sunday, April 26

Name:  IDW logo3 smallest.JPG
Views: 2791
Size:  7.9 KB
    Last edited by yoitisi; April 18th, 2009 at 07:47 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    My references:

Within my sketchbook, feel free to examine.

For the IDW #99 - The Ultimate Drawing Tool.

My proposals:

1) The Duco Lightscribe Unit, a spacial tablet product that allows the user to sketch objects from freespace without the use of a tablet or paper.

How it works:
    The user wears the wrist unit that both acts as a holder and charger for the scribe, but the image processor to transmit the live sketch to a linked computer. The user can then use the scribe to sketch objects as they see them and "draw" them as if they were to trace with a finger. The result is complied as lines and strokes on the computer screen.

Bottom line:

Think Cintiq, without a screen. You can sketch directly from your personal perspective without paper or a tablet.

2) NVision Capture Eye Camera, a image capture unit that allows the user to take photos using the blink of an eye.

How it works:

IDW #99: Ultimate Drawing Tool

Light passes into the eye naturally from the motions of the iris, controlling light into the lens. From the lens of the eye, the image is reflected, upside-down, on the macula, at the back of the eyeball, in which the retina sends the color information into the brain.

Reference: http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/eyediagram/

In this process, the NVision sends a intermittent infrared light signal that receives light from the retina, as would the brain, and translates the returning information as the captured image. Thus, the user can capture true to life images, shot from not only the personal point-of-view, but even in the user's eyesight capabilities. To capture images, the user presses and holds a "capture" action function, then blinks to capture the last image to pass into the eye. The blink action triggers the unit to capture the last image transmission from the eye and then complies the data into image storage onto the processor that fits onto the eye socket.

Bottom line:

Think hyper resolution digital camera that uses your eye as the lens and shutter.

The Final Project:
    The DUCO Lightscribe

<Post Updated: 4/26/2009>
    Last edited by f1guremeout; April 26th, 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks
    Three ideas: a multi-brush which can replicate any medium or colour or texture for traditional artwork. A wierd 3D hologram thing for 2d digital art that can be manipulated with ones bare hands and has all the effects of your favorite tablet. And last but not least is a mind reader, of a sort, that projects imaginings onto the screen/data-slate.

Thanks
    swordhand
    Dang you just took my exact first three ideas. Oh well, i'd better change mine a bit then.

I think the sketch speaks for itself. I tried to make something a bit more technical as this is "Industrial Design" of the week.
    If i come up with something else ill post it in another sketch with three possibilities before i move on to th final. Hopefully ill have more spare time to use on this than last week

Thanks
    oops! sorry. I really like your second one that manipulates real matter.

Thanks
    Rabies: It being Industrial Design of the Week doesn't necessarily imply that it has to be 'technical'. Using a stick to pry termites from their hole is just as much a tool as a hydraulic earthmover to get rid of the termites nest

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think the ultimate drawing tool is something that I can take with me anywhere and have it function the same and be able to produce the same results as at home. Just as portable, durable, and easy to access as a sketchbook, but just as powerful and with the capabilities of a home computer. No compromises. I want the equivalent of at least a 22" inch monitor and then I want to chuck it in my bag like it was a moleskin before hopping on my bike, wrecking and finding that my precious is OK.

PS. It should also cause insanity. hehe Rabies ;P

The ultimate drawing tool . . . but at what cost?!?!

Thanks
    Swordhand
    Just proves youve got some good concepts Yeah i liked that one alot aswell, ill use some of the idea, but feel free to play around with the thought if you think you can use it

Yoitisi
    So i can be a bit more free thinking" noted. thanks!

Now is sketched around a bit more. First i thought of a "holographic" solution, since then the transmitter could be small and easy to transport. Then i thought, that i dont really need anything fancy with alot of features to make art. What i really could use when i draw, carve, sculpture, paint or whatever, is more time, the proper mood, and an easy changable all round tool.
    This is my first idea of what that tool might look like.

The TA (T-shirt of Awesome)

Thanks
    Its silent around here... Enjoy this here, its cause of this i didnt finish my homework for tommorow. Still could use some more time like my last entry, but this is just a bit more finished.

In a box ruled by the evil wacom overlord
    Thanks
    Hey rabies really love the design, I have to admit you seem to have everything in there so i guess you sure did fill the brief
    I think maybe a bit more texture in the armour to finish it off, but that is my only crit.
    oh sorry just read it over and there is a couple of errors in the text.
    other than that looks real good, i still have no idea what to enter with might not make this one on time
    SKETCHBOOK

----DESKTOPS THREAD----
    : Share your desktops and wallpapers :

"THE HOLES ARE FOR MY EYES"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bagg For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Bagg

Thanks! I dont know if it can help you, but i started out with brainstorming what i was annoyed with, when painting or sculpturing.
    In this case:
    Not enoughe time, insuficient tools, wrong mood, etc etc.
    Then i designed a suit that could take care of those problems and drew it.
    Maybe it can help you? And if not, it killed off a few minutes of my german lesson

Yeah i noticed the typing errors, ill fix them before the final post. Ill throw on some more texture - thanks!

Thanks
    Just finished brainstorming ideas and I never realised how many things can get in the way of just creating a good drawing
    So cheers Rabies for the help I got my ideas now just have to get them drawn
    It is quiet around here isn't it!
    SKETCHBOOK

----DESKTOPS THREAD----

Thanks
    Ah I think I have a great idea but I just noticed it and only 2 days left argh. I will see.
    Cheers
    when you get to hell, tell them I sent you - you`ll get a group discount

My Sketchbook

kischisart.com
    available for freelance

Thanks
    A couple more ideas.

First is the spray bomb. Basically, you insert some spray cans, download a pattern into the gun, aim it at your neighbors house, pull the trigger and it throws up your awesomeness. Not very realistic.

The second is basically a portable tablet and digital painting. I tried to condense the tools into the most compact essentials. So, the fingertip covers function with laser tracking on any surface and the surfaces of the devices are pressure sensitive. The sweet Jordi visor is the CPU and monitor. I imagine the whole kit would fit into sunglasses case and work on any surface, horizontal or vertical.

Thanks
    Well, it's time well and truely PAST the time to start a final image, but I still haven't pinned down which of the three I want to use. Anyone have a preference which? The finger implants and paint canon were meant to be an effort to try something "imaginative," but my brain has a hard time accepting the impracticality of them.

Thanks
    Majenkus: I can't help but like that gun...

Just a heads up for all those still struggling to get things done in time, this round will at least have another 20 hours or so to go, since I've got to sleep and work and stuff.

Thanks
    nice I'm still on it yeah.
    I'll make it have to
    Cheers and good luck every one

My Sketchbook

kischisart.com
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Thanks for the extension yoitisi I was really struggling to make it in time
    at least now I can fancy the final up a bit more!

Kischi - I really like the idea of the paint grenade gun, it's like a huge instant stencil

Majenkus- Congrats man on last rounds win, well deserved

Rabies- hey man really love the idea of it pumping you with drugs to keep you inspired and motivated I can see how that would be so damn usefull now that i'm struggling with the final rendering
    SKETCHBOOK

----DESKTOPS THREAD----

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bagg: This is not my concept
    Here is mine.
    Attachment 656767

My Sketchbook

kischisart.com
    available for freelance

Thanks
    hmm... we already have ultimate drawing tools, don't we? It started with mud and charcoal, to lead pencil, graphite pencil, charcoal is still around.. now it's mostly manufactured, and we even have mechanical pencils. And, art has gone digital.

We already have the tools we need to do fine work. All we need is a desire to do it. So, would it be possible to design a desire to draw? Like an abstract painting, leading upwards, of fiery colours representing passionate motivation?
    can we design that? Please?

Thanks
    WOO just managed to get it finished, really great designs in the finals
    Sorry about the mix up I must have been quite tired when I wrote it.

Majenkus : Good to see the paint gun made it in the final!

Kischi : yeah gotta have a brain stealer
    Last edited by Bagg; April 27th, 2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: I'm a spoon
    SKETCHBOOK

----DESKTOPS THREAD----

Thanks
    @Bagg - Thanks man, I appreciate it. Thanks for the feedback on which design to go with. Looking back, I think the finger/tablet/goggles would have been really boring (I was convinced from the start that's the one I would use . . .) Good choice on the cloud drawing. When I saw it in the final it took very little thinking to see how cool of an idea it is. Good lateral thinking

@yoitisi - I think it was the better choice.

@Kischi - Sweet sketch, sweet final 8)

@Max Challie - The thread is still open! You can do it!

@f1guremeout - Sketches are pro. You might want to consider insuring your hand . . .

As far as the final image goes, I assumed we were meant to put the concept we used in the final and not all 3. That would be a lot of clutter for 1000 pix
    Last edited by Majenkus; April 27th, 2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: forgot to look for edits

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Majenkus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    LOL

Thanks Majenkus, but i admire all of you guys' digital abilities. I'm old school I prefer the good ol' sketching pencils, marker, and chalk. I rarely use digital techniques. Hopefully, I can stick around long enough this time that I can get into digital more. I learn quickly too.

Thanks. More power to those who finished and down for another round.
    Keep it coming Yoitisi

Thanks
    f1guremeout: Really loved the final, amazing work their I can't imagine the pronz you could produce with photoshop

Rabies: Hey man really like this entry, After seeing yours all I can think about is how much I need your design

Kischi: Congrats on your first IDW, your rendering is amazing really jealous of your ability and I have to admit having the ability to use other peoples skills would be a huge time saver

Majenkus : cheers man just wish i could have rendered it out a bit better for my final, I need more practice with photoshop!
    Love the crazy french guy, your idea reminds me of Counter strike when you could spray tags on walls from pictures that you uploaded, Graffiti artists would bow down to your invention
    SKETCHBOOK

----DESKTOPS THREAD----

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Bagg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh oh, I forgot to give you guys something.
    Its a site I use to learn and relearn some advance techniques in both Illustrator and Photoshop. I might as well share them, since they just came to mind. Pass them along and hope that they can benefit you as much as they have for me.:

75 Best Photoshop Tutorials
    75 Best Illustrator Tutorials

50 Excellent Illustrator Video Tutorials

Hope that these techniques benefit you all.
    Last edited by f1guremeout; April 28th, 2009 at 02:41 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to f1guremeout For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ahem..high time I close this round isn't it? Poll will be up soon.

And...hold on to yer britches because it's celebration time:

IDW round 100 will start soon!!

There's prizes to win and everything