Art: First attempts with DAS clay

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

First attempts with DAS clay

I thought I would try out this DAS terracotta stuff, which is supposed to be air-hardening, and not require heating. (Anyone else tried this medium? Does it hurt to cook it anyway?) A dragon and a female torso, done over wire frames stuffed with tissue paper. I haven't done much sculpting before, so any feedback would be welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I have been messing around with air dry clay the last few weeks, using it to make forms (armature) which provide support and shape for my sculptures. That way I don't use so much sculpey and have a good solid surface to work on.

The type of air-dry clay I've been using is cheap and will crumble or break easily. It is a very tricky medium to use because if you use it over something that is hard, it will crack as it dries because it shrinks. I think you did a good using tissue paper...I used wads of newspapers taped together for mine. I am not a big fan on using air dry clay as a sculpting medium because of its drawbacks, (stickiness and difficulty in putting in details) but your sculpts turned out pretty good.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VulgarDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I could have refined the dragon's scales etc a lot more. I don't find this DAS stuff too bad for detail, It's no sculpey but it's much cheaper, and it's a bonus not having to worry about what you put inside it, as it isn't to be heated. I bought an old action man today at a car boot sale. The plan is to use him as the armature for my next clay project, a replica suit of plate armour, probably Early 16th century style.

Thanks
    Dashinvaine, your DAS sculpting is amazing!I recently tried to sculpt with DAS Terracota, but I was frustrated because I couldn't portray enough detail in my sculpting. You on the other hand, managed to sculpt a surprisingly detailed dragon and I would like to inquire specifically, how did you manage to sculpt its awesome teeth? Also, did you use any water or other media as you were sculpting, every time the clay hardened up? And finally, did you also use armament for the lady bust and if so, what kind of armament? Please elaborate if you can on the technique you used to sculpt all these deatails!

Thanks
    Thanks. I made the dragon's teeth, tongue and eyeballs individually, the teeth being small bits rolled to points on both ends. I left them to dry, then stuck them into the wet clay of the rest of the head. DAS is not brilliant stuff to use (a bit like modelling in marzipan that turns into pastry). I find a combination of using water to keep areas wet, or letting areas dry then actually carving them with a sharp blade are fairly effective.

I've made a knight over an action man figure since then http://dashinvaine.deviantart.com/ar...ight-122665079 and redone the female figure as a full length thing http://dashinvaine.deviantart.com/ar...ette-122661625. The insides of that one are done in wire, stuffed with tissue and given a skin of masking tape, onto which the clay was pressed. I had to hack some of the dry clay around the base of the finished torso awayin order to attach the framework for the lower part to the upper.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.