Sketchbook: Update 27th September 2012. Matt is pushing on.... Still!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update 27th September 2012. Matt is pushing on.... Still!

September 27th 2012.
    Finally back to it! I'm on the cusp of having a 6 month break from full-time art teaching to study harder than ever and create a killer portfolio! That's the plan. I post over at crimsondaggers.com and have starting this up again because I need harsh and true crits at all times now. I'm still in full-time work for 5 weeks, then attending Schoolism London Live Workshops to kickstart my portfolio!

May 2nd 2010.
    Starting again with my sketchbook but not going to remove the old posts or start a new thread for it. I want it as a record of how lazy I've been in the past year. I could have uploaded more here, and drawn/studied a hell of a lot more, but I didn't. So I'm beginning again to attempt to show everyone that you can change yourself whenever you like. Just DRAW!!!!

Please critique my learning all you like, it is very welcome. I'm going to try as hard as I possibly can to take on board all comments and suggestions.

I just want to see my skills grow. I've being drawing most of my life from a very early age and have always loved it so much that as soon as I felt anxiety or frustration with drawing something, I've found it hard to push through and continue drawing through the frustration.

I actually have a really good idea of what I need to do, I've spent alot of money on learning books and video tutorials from here, as well as taking part in life drawing classes and drawing for my degree work.

I just want a clean slate without the baggage of my past work so I won't be posting any of that here (apart from the stuff I have already posted over the past year).

HELP! I'm desperate to change my life around and enable me to have a creative career that I'm happy with. I WILL be a concept artist/ freelance illustrator!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lewis-Long; September 27th, 2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1st Entry, whooop!

This study has issues. Sp with one lamp and screen glare.
    I'll post a photo of me here once I've done a bunch of sp's. Or just open a new spsb.

Study of values and how core shadows/specular highlights help define form. Weird eyes

Last edited by Lewis-Long; September 27th, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, nice start thats a solid first sp, dont loose momentum now! update regularly for the first few months, even if its shite studys, its about developing habits

dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man its looking good so far i want to see a more pushed version! i take it your doing a degree in illustration? were you studying? whats it like? what are your peers like? how old are you / how far in are you?

dan's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update mofo :p

dan's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start, but I def agree that you could push your portrait more! You have a solid foundation for it, pushing would be the easy part

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life drawing 2 hours 29th october 2009

Best bits from tonights 2 hour life drawing session.

Head 15 mins focusing on value, core shadows and highlight placement as well as seeing how 'finished' I could get it in 15 mins.

Seated figure 45 mins. Focus on getting colour down paying attention to mass shadow and mass light shapes.

Not used to painting figures in full colour but I'm enjoying it. I need to challenge myself to paint in colour every day. Still failing, need to improve heaps!

Last edited by Lewis-Long; September 27th, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start, post more!!!

The clockworksnail Experience- SKETCHBOOK!!!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...clockworksnail

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff so far! Keep them coming

The Sketchbook of Frittzell

"The Imagination, the inside of our heads, truly is the most vast frontier" - Terence Mckenna

"Nature is the great visible ancient of creativity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tonights Life Drawing Studies and more!

clockworksnail - Thanks for words of encouragement. Keep kicking my ass to post please
    Frittzell(Image) - Here you are Frittzell. Thanks for stopping by, going to try to post as regularly as possible.

Ok so nearly a week since my last post. I'm trying to get better with posting but I don't like to show stuff that sucks too much. Just the stuff that sucks a bit.

First two are from tonights life drawing, 2 hours session

15 minute pose and then a 40 minute pose. Both have issues with proportion but the second I felt showed improvement.

And a WIP of a study of a caucasian head. Still more work to do on it, trying to get nicely blended tones and a full range of values (obviously not started to add darkest darks just yet).

Yes I have been re-watching the Zhang Lu video 1. Really want the 2nd too, looks awesome.

Will post more tomorrow. Have 4 hours of life drawing so should have lots to show and some colour studies from life too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thursday night Life Drawing! 4 Hours

Ok so after tonights Life drawing I have 3 colour pieces to show.

First was a 45min study

The last two where both 30 mins. Not so happy with the last two.

I did a bunch of quick pose sketches too but they were just warm up stuff.

Will post work I do for my latest project on my illustration degree course if it's relevant. And need to get my chow entry in before sunday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Spontaneous Character Wip

I've been drawing a lot for my current Illustration project and haven't had much time for more whimsical stuff. I'm very conscious of not doing enough work from imagination, so bam! This is unreffed. Not saying that's a good thing but I definitely need to do one of these a day or improve on the previous days spontaneous character with pushed values, better costume, colour designs and even taking a character to the point of placing them in a small narrative Illustration.

Meet Big Nose Guy! Will work on a bio for him and then continue with giving him trinkets, tools, weapons etc. I also want to test colours and put him into action in an Illustration show casing his main traits and abilities in one image.

Trying to get a decent pipeline going so any help as I go with this would be greatly appreciated. C+C welcome as always

Last edited by Lewis-Long; November 24th, 2009 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try anatomy studies? they'll help with loads, but especially with the naked life drawings.

The clockworksnail Experience- SKETCHBOOK!!!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...clockworksnail

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You´re getting better with everything you do, that really shows! As for colours, I have lots of problems as well. I try life drawing to learn: Wait until it´s dark and get a spotlight on some object of choice. The light won´t change, so you can paint as slowly as you wish.
    Maybe that could help you a little.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Katanasoul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Studies and Uni stuff

clockworksnail Thanks for stopping by again after all this time. I do anatomy studies and will post when I have time to go through it all. The reason the recent naked lifes haven't been detailed with anatomy is because I'm drawing to get colour down most of the time and just getting used to using the wacom and laptop in life drawing class. I need to find classes with much longer poses though for colour really so I'll be focusing on pencils and anatomy after christmas for life drawing classes.

Katanasoul I'm going to get straight on that, it's something I know I should be doing but never do Lifes crazy at the moment because final year of uni but also trying lots of new things.

I'm a little reluctant to post uni work up here but I'm going to for the sake of keeping my sb going. I'm actually doing an animation short for my recent project, don't ask me why, I guess it's the last chance to do something different before I get serious with my last project and create a library of art assets for my own original video game IP!! I'll definitely be posting all of that work up as I'm doing it. Posting on here and getting feedback for that work will be a major focus of that project to test the effectiveness of peer and self tuition through different types of communities!!

Some concept doodles for some of the characters for the animation, a background drawing (now blown up and being redrawn for refined style and clarity). The final thing will be for high definition projection and will be keeping the rawness of the pencil and ink pens. I'll explain the project when I post the final thing.

And just some face study I've been doing.

Deadlines are coming, only 2 weeks now, so not going to be too hot on the posting of studies etc for a while longer, But I do have my secret santa painting to get done!

Last edited by Lewis-Long; December 3rd, 2009 at 06:00 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by again mate! keep updating, I especially love the inkpen portrait and the landscape observational drawing on the mother and bachelor, while you have some cool pencil rendering skills I suggest making sure you have a solid drawing underneath before adding the clothing etc. Come to lifedrawing more! today we were only 6 there during the student union one, and probably even less on the 5-7 one. The teacher during that session even gave me lots of charcoal sticks in various shades cause I enjoyed experimenting with them you're missing out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, I'm back and I'm going to try not to type so much BS. Back to anatomy studies and life studies. Here's to trying not to suck! Trying to sort my life out so stick with me on this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Studies 3rd May

Some Bammes, Bridgman's and observation pencils. Trying to focus on general forms of body parts (beginning with hands) and working on my pencil rendering with value studies.

The last study is one of the mac screen cleaners on a cd spindle. Forms are all wrong on the cd's and the position of the centre part of the spindle. poo. Better luck next time huh.

Trying to get good scanner results with low file size, ok quality?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Really like your resolutions. Great self-portrait and I love your line work in Bridgman studies. Those studies seem to bee very accurate. Your photoshop studies of a hand are to faint as for my taste.You seem to have very good sense of proportion man! It shows in the faces you draw. Keep drawing its the only way to get better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Temperowka: Thanks for the kind words! I'm with you on the hand studies. The painted hands where done in around 10 minutes, Bridgman hands that I just splashed some faint values on as notes. I should be able to do quick 4 value studies though so I'm going to work on that. The pencil Bridgman studies aren't really working out for me. I'm drawing the lines etc but after a while the information about the forms seem to stop going into my brain. I'm going to try a new method for anatomy studies later tonight similar to Cole Eastburn's method in his sketchbook thread.

Really poor update to say I haven't posted for a week. I've drawn more but this is all I feel I can post.

Bammes studies of hands again and value practice using a "full" range from around 5% (darkest) to 95% (lightest) in photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Studies from 18th May Anatomy and SP

Trying to mix it up with the rendering of anatomy studies. I've found that using a very linear rendering style is helping me a lot with understanding the forms of the drawings. With Bammes studies it is ensuring that I'm not just copying his rendering. Looking at his lighting and using it to tell me what direction the forms are moving feels pretty rewarding. Hopefully I can get faster at this method of studying.

My SP sucks. Not sure what to say other than, what a bunch of crap. Posting it to keep me motivated to improve the next one. I need to revise the head again. Any knowledge of skull proportions have gone out of the window. Where has the top of my head gone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wooo! the studies are looking faaantastic! keep doing what you're doing as much as you can do it and you will love yourself for it

Stay away from colour for a while and really get your tones down (though this looks like what you're doing anyway)

try get some life drawing in if you can, it's more valuable than gold imo and very essential supplements to this study you are doing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More Bammes Arm Studies! 21 May 2010

monsi: Thanks for dropping in! I agree with the colour stuff for now. I'll take it on properly when I'm happy with my anatomy studies and values.

So just some arms studied from Bammes 'Der Nackte Mensch'. I can't read the book but it's probably got the most easily readable information of all the anatomy books I have.
    These are the books I'm currently studying:

Bridgman's 'Constructive Anatomy' and 'The Human Machine'
    Andrew Loomis' 'Figure Drawing for all it's Worth'
    Gray's Anatomy

These seem to be giving me all of the base knowledge of the bones, where the muscles attach, their function, 'plastic' surface forms, proportion and posing/gesture. I also have a copy of Vanderpoel's 'The Human Figure' on it's way for more shape and mass oriented anatomy.

I have a lot more anatomy and art books I've just got to consolidate my knowledge and draw dammit!

I feel like these are taking far too long. These are all of my studies from yesterday. I'm trying to cut down on wasted time as much as possible. Re-watched this yesterday so going to try and implement some changes to maximise my learning. First found this in algenpfleger's SB way back. Found it again

Last edited by Lewis-Long; May 21st, 2010 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, it's been a while. I've not stopped drawing, I just stupidly chose to stop posting. A lot has happened. Been teaching painting to children in Hong Kong for the past 2 years. I'm still living in Hong Kong and I'm making a push (with some savings) over the next 7 months to make the best portfolio I can for Illustration and game concept art. It's going to be a rough ride and I may end up teaching again after but I'll have a solid portfolio to try for some freelance and from there to keep pushing harder until I can live off of Illustration jobs or land a studio job. Wish me luck!

These are my most recent studies and imagination stuff. Expect updates weekly for the next 5 weeks. After which I'll be updating more frequently. I'm attending the Schoolism Live Workshops in London too! Give me a shout if you're attending. I'd love to meet some people and draw/talk and drink in the evenings

I'm also updating my sketchbook at crimsondaggers.com, my blog, my dA and I stream regularly (even if it's just studies). Come and say hi!

Name:  gestureSheet3 16-9-2012.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  202.4 KB
    Name:  headstudies_3-9-2012.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  30.1 KB
    Name:  sp1Smll.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  29.0 KB
    Name:  faceStudies001.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  70.2 KB
    Name:  process_of_back_study_1_by_lewislong-d4pmhie.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  143.3 KB
    Name:  thumbnailSheet1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  57.9 KB
    Name:  CyberSphere - Cell Merchant FinalSmall.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  284.3 KB
    Name:  legAnatomy1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  52.0 KB
    Name:  ned_stark_still_frame_study_by_lewislong-d5fxng3.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  87.4 KB
    Name:  DarthMaulStardamCockpit.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  86.5 KB
    Name:  creatureBirdFish.jpg
Size:  96.7 KB
    Name:  hunterZulu1.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  49.1 KB
    Name:  20120122-230421.jpg
Size:  136.1 KB
    Name:  legAnatomy2.jpg
Size:  47.0 KB
    Name:  fashionStudy1.jpg
Size:  86.4 KB
    Name:  figurestudyback01.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  42.4 KB
    Name:  gestureSheet1Small.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  34.3 KB
    Name:  ZuluStudy1Sml.jpg
Size:  245.5 KB
    Name:  arnold-backValueFinal.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  148.3 KB
    Name:  slingDude.jpg
Size:  59.6 KB

Last edited by Lewis-Long; September 27th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cont. Update 27th September

20 file attachment limit!

These are from the past week. After work, if all I can get done are studies then that is all I'm doing. I always at the very do gestures between 1 - 20 mins focusing first on gesture, expression, action and recently more aware of describing "verbs" etc although not very successfully so far.

I'm reading so many books right now it's insane! From Loomis to Gurney, Stanchfield to Michael Hampton and always watching tutorial videos and lectures I've bought in the past from a lot of MB downloads to Glenn Villpu Anatomy. Just so people know what study materials I have access to. I have my own personal library above my desk and it's always growing!

Name:  jungleHunterGirl1.jpg
Size:  40.8 KB
    Name:  thumbnailSheet2.jpg
Size:  61.8 KB
    Name:  gesturesheet4-22-9-2012.jpg
Size:  56.0 KB
    Name:  valuegesturemale01.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  32.8 KB
    Name:  loomis-proportions-and-planes-1-with-sp.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  50.0 KBClick
    Name:  gestureSheet6 24-9-2012sml.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  153.4 KB
    Name:  gestureSheet7 26-9-2012 ml.jpg
Size:  222.6 KB

Last edited by Lewis-Long; September 27th, 2012 at 03:09 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.