Using wacom on Ubuntu

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Using wacom on Ubuntu

I recently bought a second computer, and I've been trying to get my intuos 3 4x5 to work on it at least halfway decently. It's a sylvania meso g netbook with a netbook remix of [hardy heron?] ubuntu. i do have another computer that the wacom works perfectly fine on, a regular sized laptop. but it would be nice to be able to bring the netbook and the tablet [both are about 8-9 inches in size] around and sketch digitally wherever.
    i've gone to the linux wacom project and tried to edit xorg.conf. didn't really work, nearly crashed my graphics card [whee]. luckily i was able to reload a backed-up version of the driver, but still. everything else i've had to do with ubuntu has been fairly easy so far. there has to be SOME kind of driver or thing i can just download [or even copy and paste] and it'll work. :|
    any advice would be appreciated. except for 'just give up'. because that's not really helpful. :/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The best way to get a Wacom tablet up and running on a Unix-based OS is to buy a Mac Linux is a coder's OS. If you don't know how to build all of your tools/drivers/etc. from scratch, there's really no reason to be using it. Sooner or later you're going to run into problems.

I know this isn't the kind of response you were looking for but I tried the Linux thing years ago and ran into the same problem with my tablet. There seems to be a bit of "voodoo" involved because I found several people in the forums who said that they followed the instructions and everything worked perfectly. But for everyone else, it's like impossible... and Wacom's not gonna help you

Good Luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I've gotten my Intuos2 to work with Ubuntu (Jaunty, upgraded from Hardy though) just fine. Or rather, my boyfriend did. It did involve a lot of fine-tuning and tweaking, though. Can you copypasta or attach your xorg.conf? Be happy to troubleshoot for you, I remember it was kind of a pain getting it to work. You might want to consider upgrading to Jaunty, though, as tablets work straight of the box with the newest version.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously tho, why use a programmer's OS for art??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Responding to Idoru: That's what I was thinking. I just plugged my Intuos 3 into my Xandros linux machine and it worked fine, while the driver I got in the package won't load on my Windows Vista machine because it was made for XP.

Updating/upgrading the OS is more likely the problem rather than some kind of Ubuntu linux voodoo. They are always working on getting their distributions to support as much stuff as they can and they may have caught up with the solution to your problem by now. Alternatively, Ubuntu user forums may contain the advice you need if you go there and use a search function and the keyword Intuos. Sometimes the problem is something as simple as not having the Intuos plugged into your machine when you first installed the OS, so it doesn't recognize the Intuos as a device, or considers it permanently in standby mode.

Last edited by arttorney; May 11th, 2009 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You guys know there's a guy dedicated at Wacom just for using Linux? Need to remember who the contact is, but there is a developer/programmer just for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah. I think you can solve this with an upgrade. This is a quote out of a "using wacom tablets with ubuntu" thread on the ubuntu forums:
    In 99.9% of the cases, your hardware will be supported by the default wacom drivers provided by Intrepid
    Chances are you'll get the latest version of the GIMP in there too.
    Here's a two week old thread about the hows and wherefores of such an upgrade: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...de%2C+intrepid

Last edited by arttorney; May 11th, 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mine worked with Ubuntu with no problem. Only issue is I have no use of my wacom buttons or the scroll. But the tablet and pressure sensitivity is fine. To get pressure to work I had to go into the input options in GIMP and turn on the tablet.

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Brashen some of us like Linux. : /

Sometimes the problem can also be not booting your computer with the tablet already plugged in... That was giving us trouble for a while, as was no functionality with the eraser end. I know we got it all fixed though, even before the upgrade, so in case the OP dreads upgrade day just as much as I do (upgrading twice in a week was awful) it's not REQUIRED... Though it's still a good idea and Jaunty is just so PRETTY.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True. When I said "just plugged in" I meant prior to booting the computer. Everything has to be plugged in when the computer is checking hardware at the beginning, right down to flash drives, or else the machine won't believe it is there.

I don't see how art and programming don't mix.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have nothing against linux, in fact I think it's a stupendous idea to have an OS that is free to use and to modify to your heart's content. But is it really worth the hassle to get your tablet to work on it and the programs that make use of it? I'm no programmer so I may be talking out of my ass here. Anyways good luck with it and hope you make some kickass art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With me it's just about the absence of crapplets and malware. I have a Windows machine but I never take it on the internet because, if I do, it probably won't be worth a damn by this time next year. "Helpful" Norton popups were factory installed and a lot of trash came along with my HP printer and scanner drivers. That's already plenty of that stuff.

Printer support was the area I had the most trouble with Xandros, but it is actually kind of a feeling of power learning the stuff you learn while you work through these things. There's an open printing project out there just like there's an open office and a linux wacom project.

Last edited by arttorney; May 11th, 2009 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i had my windows way longer than a year, never gotten any malware or viruses, just gotta know your way around the internet :p

Norton is so bad, don't use it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?...it=linux#p3442 I believe that's the thread talking about the Wacom Linux guy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I dunno Ubuntu is really user-friendly, moreso than any other Linux OS (that I've ever seen). I, for the record, am not particularly computer-savvy and I find it far easier to use than Windows or Mac (which is also a programmer's OS, honestly). And like I said the newest version cuts out the need for most of the work-arounds, which mostly come from companies that don't want their devices to work with open source anything. So. Yeah.

And geez, that's a great link Arshes! I wish I'd found that when I was attempting to make my tablet work with Hardy. Oh well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the KDE desktop environment and it gives me at least two (more if I want them) virtual desktops that I can easily go back and forth between. I use it sort of like people use the dual monitor setup.

Do you guys get that in Ubuntu?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using Ubuntu as well, in combination with a Wacom Intuos3 9x12 tablet. I got it working in 8.04 (Hardy Heron) by editing xorg.conf. Troubles with the graphics card occured upon reboot, but I managed to get around that.
    The best (and easiest) way to get your Wacom working in Ubuntu is to upgrade to 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope), because it features Wacom hotplugging. No more xorg fiddling, tablet works just fine by plugging it in. If you want your tablet customized (I did, I bought a new laptop with a 16:9 screen and my Wacom is a 4:3 => aspect ratio troubles) you just need a .fdi document in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ in which you can enable the options found on The Linux Wacom Project. I'm pretty sure you can map your side buttons that way, as well. If you'd need help with that, drop me a line.

It's less risky than messing up your xorg.conf, and it works like a charm. ATM I'm installing a XP Virtual Machine, but I haven't tested my tablet with that yet. (USB connections in the VM are a bit tricky).

And as Arttorney stated, the Ubuntu forums make a very helpful place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am yet another person who almost killed their Ubuntu install by trying to edit the Xorg on Hardy, don't do it.
    It's pretty easy to just upgrade, it keeps all your programs, documents and settings intact when you do it as long as you upgrade using the update manager within Ubuntu, don't try downloading the disk version and upgrading like that because that will mean you have to reinstall all your programs and depending on how you set things up you can lose your documents too.
    I had to reinstall Ubuntu a couple of days ago, my fat32 partition that I made so I could get stuff between my Windows and Linux hard drives easily corrupted and Ubuntu wouldn't boot because it was trying to scan the partitions for errors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wacom Intuos 3 works with Fedora linux v. 11.0 Live ISO image version right out of the box. As usual, no side keys as far as I could tell. I saw no perceptible jiggling of the cursor like I reported for the Xandros machine. I didn't try the eraser end because I didn't think of it. On my Xandros machine the eraser end paints whatever is the active brush and so I just got in the habit of clicking the eraser tool and using the drawing tip.

Fedora 11.0 also has what looks like a really nice version of the GIMP.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.