Would love some advice/input for my project.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Would love some advice/input for my project.

Hey. So I'm working on a school assignment that involves gouache paint. I'm not really skilled with gouache paint, and I know a lot of people don't like for various reasons. I think I would really enjoy if I could use it well.

In any case, I wanted some advice for my school assignment. Basically the assignment consists of designing a cover for the "New Yorker" magazine as if we were actually the real designers. Now our teacher is giving us a lot of freedom with this assignment as she believes the topic we choose to focus on (political/social issue) is more important than the actual style of art (The New Yorker has a very distinct style).

I chose suicide in Japan for my topic. And so I'm designing the cover. My design has to do with a young Japanese person in front of a subway train with on-lookers surrounding the platform. Like I said the medium we have to use is gouache...and preferably with a color scheme. I choose to do cool lights with warm shadows. So all of the "light" within my composition will have a cool temperature with the shadows having a warm one. But before we get to the gouache, I want to make sure my composition is decent enough. Here are my pencils on the final board:

Click here.

The reason everything is so yellow is due to the light I shot it under. The thing is too big to scan, so I had to use my digital camera. Then I went into photoshop to adjust the levels on the pencils so you could actually see the design.

We aren't allowed to have any words in our composition due to the purpose on the assignment is to have the image rely an instant message to the viewer. My teacher said kanji was okay though for some reason. Which is good since she wanted me to make sure the audience knew this was taking place in Japan.

In any case, I drew quite a lot already and I'm not sure if I should add anything else. I want to, but the more I add the more I'll have to paint. And I wouldn't mind doing that if it wasn't for the time factor, plus I'm not that confident in my abilities with gouache (it's really hard for me to get that "smooth touch").

Here is my original thumbnail for the image. Color studies with gouache. The "cool" color scheme is at the bottom and I'm going with that one:

Click here.

So just like in that thumbnail there are rays of light coming from the train to signify, well...light. And I was aiming for the look just like in the thumbnail. My inspiration was from this image from the opening sequence of the popular anime Dragonball:

Click here

I'm trying to get the light to make an impression exactly like that. Maybe a little bit more transparent if I could, but I'm not sure how to do that with gouache. I lightly drew in the rays of light on the final board, they are kind of hard to see but they are there. I'm just not sure how I should apply that to rest of the image. Like with the crowd and environment. Light and shadows with perspective really are hard for me. That reminds me, I need to go back and down the shadows on the other bystanders.

All in all any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

"And you will shed tears of scarlet."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EDIT

Nevermind. I didn't see the train. Hehehe!!

The first one looks good so far. Playing with tonal arrangement could be a good desighn exercise as a next step.
    What style will you be using, an anime style or realistic style, Wat ellements of desighn or composition does your style allow, value, color etc??

edit
    I have something I noticed. In a scene like this the train is usually so overbearing in speed and force that at that for the split second the dude infront of it will apear temporary and insicnificant.
    You could experiment making the train the center of attention and see if that is perhaps more towards the effect you want. ??

Last edited by George Abraham; April 17th, 2009 at 07:57 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zaorr View Post
    EDIT

Nevermind. I didn't see the train. Hehehe!!

The first one looks good so far. Playing with tonal arrangement could be a good desighn exercise as a next step.
    What style will you be using, an anime style or realistic style, Wat ellements of desighn or composition does your style allow, value, color etc??

edit
    I have something I noticed. In a scene like this the train is usually so overbearing in speed and force that at that for the split second the dude infront of it will apear temporary and insicnificant.
    You could experiment making the train the center of attention and see if that is perhaps more towards the effect you want. ??
    Hmmm...style? Hmm...I guess "comic"? American comic that is. So I guess that leans towards more realism. I know I don't have time to graph all of the light and see where it bounces and everything. I'll just have to dumb everything down.

I think I'd want the guy as the center of attention. My teacher is really strange sometimes and if I change something in hopes of making it super better, she'll most likely chastise me for it if it wasn't something she suggested.

"And you will shed tears of scarlet."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.