Bring her to life

I used as reerence the image atached here. All is made in Photoshop
    please be hard.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say: paint what you are see on the photo! Have courage to use dark shadows and different colours for the skin.
    Every skin has more than one colour. Learn to see the colours and use them. That will make your picture more lively. (but for this, a reference of a living person would be better than Nofretete's bust, or look in a mirror and try to see the colours of your face)
    The shadows are to soft. Give them more strength and the whole picture more structere. I think, everything looks to smooth.
    The white in the eyes normally never looks really white. Make it grey, maybe with a bit beige in it. This bright white seems to be unnatural, like it were glowing from inside. It's only our brain that fools us to think it is really white and people would going on thiking it, even if you paint it not white. It only have to be look natural.

I hope that would help you bit...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand perfectly. I cant see all of the colors but I will do wath you say.

Thanks a lot Nephilie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her left iris is not shareing the same plane as the other eye's. It's sorta looking down.

If you really want to push this idea of your's I'd make sure the perspective and construction is 100% but fixing minor details to be "non sculpted" looking but as close in shape as possible to the statue, then move on taking a photo ref of a woman in the lighting environment you want and use her skin tone's etc to render her to really try to make her come to life.

That statue is awesome btw.. The features are excellent around the mouth, wouldn't have minded to have a replica to study.

Last edited by George Abraham; April 15th, 2009 at 09:40 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe, if you have problems to see the colours, you can look up here: www.furiae.com . Linda Bergkvist has got a tutorial called "thoughts on skintones". Maybe that will help you to learn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for budding in, I can't find the tut. I think her forum is closed. Would have liked to see it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good so far, but it sort of looks like her chin isn't protruding enough, which is a big part of the character captured in the bust... very proud/royal... you know? Dark shadows under the nose, lips and chin are important and would really make her face more 3 dimensional. Hope that helped =)

--------------------------------------

MY SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Twisted Synapses, zaorr and Nephilie, thanks a lot. I will take care waht you say. As Nephilie says, I have problem with colours because I only see a color (dark and Light) but only one colour.

If you look you will see a bit of green but it was'nt enough. I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM!!!. but Will solve it.

Tanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ZORR here is the tutorial for skin that Nephilie refers

http://www.furiae.com/popup.php?text=skintutorial

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Id say the base color looks more like a darker red brown but saturated all over to become that light pinkish color.

But why use the statue color's? The statue lacks some life but I must admit. It's not bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well now, I tried to overpaint it. Not perfect at all, but maybe it could help you to find your way ( I hope, it was ok that I have done that)

What have I done?
    - making the white in the eyes grey to give it a more natural look
    - change the colour of the lips - they haven't such saturated colours and bright highlights
    - use red on the tip of the nose
    - change the nostrils (I hope that's the right word...) a bit - they're not complete black. you have to think about the light there. It shines a bit through skin and flesh and will come a bit from down into them
    - give the area under the eyes more depth. Linda have a good tutorials about eyes too
    - and at last, I used red on different places there it fit in my opinion

But I think it is necessary to darken the shadows more for the depth... I didn't do that now

Last edited by Nephilie; February 1st, 2011 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, I think you have chosen an extremely difficult angle to paint from. Having said that, the statue itself is is a fantastic reference. I think it would help to follow the lighting and the color palette ( for the skin atleast) more closely.
    Get into the habit of checking your image in grayscale. It really helps in value composition. Right now, the background that you have chosen is very very close to the value of the skin itself. Because of this, the face silhouette is not being defined very well.

Here's a quick paintover.

So the first thing I did was make the background darker.You can see how the skin tones seem to look fleshier already. Remember, perception of color is very very relative. Each color appears a certain hue/value/saturation/brightness in relation to the area around it. Because of this it is very important to keep in mind the colors for the entire image than just a part.

The next thing I did was block in the shadow masses. Try not to jump into details very soon. Try to think in terms of form, visualize the 3dness of the image. Think of the head in terms of planes . Don't be afraid to push your darks and lights.

The next two steps are just refining. Keep flipping your image horizontally( and vertically!) . It will help you spot your mistakes immediately. In the last image I just noticed it wasn't looking too much like the bust so I did some quick liquify fixes and painted over it and shifted the hues to be more yellow-y.

Skin is difficult to paint and it has a lot of subtleties in hue which can be seen only be regular observation and practice. For now I think it would be beneficial if you concentrated on value studies, in painting in grayscale.

Also it will help if you look for reference pics or get a model to pose and shoot her in that angle. The neck/torso anatomy needs some redoing.

I hope this helps. Remember, practice is the only way to get better

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.