IDW #98: Mission to Mars - Orbital Station - Voting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • devilminer

4 12.90%
  • Dragonspit

0 0%
  • hallo

7 22.58%
  • Majenkus

10 32.26%
  • Bagg

3 9.68%
  • Scorge

7 22.58%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #98: Mission to Mars - Orbital Station - Voting

IDW #98 Topic: Mission to Mars - Orbital Station

Deadline: Saturday, April 25

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #98: Mission to Mars - Orbital Station

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 1373
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; April 18th, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Space Station - Mission to Mars

I went ahead and chose one of the two (the other being the cartoony looking one in the non-finals thread). The following description is for this creepy-looking submission:

The essentials for living include a water treatment and recycling plant, communication cabin, agricultural habitats throughout the eastern-most walls, solar panels, satellite scope utilizers, and a shuttle dock. The station has enough food to hold up to 6 astronauts for a good three months. It is equipped with special units for restrooms, beds, and a living room.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Idw#98

The first Mars Orbital Enviromental System (Moes), went together suprisingly well compared to how poor the aestethics ended up being. The priorities revolved around getting equipment to the station, and using as many components in transit and reusing them within the facility. Power was limited, food was almost all shipped frozen, but ez to keep that way. There was a small gravitational structure to give residents a break from free fall. With a handful of docking areas and continuous work, was a busy place, and it was, a starting point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a bit rushed, i first saw the thread two - three days ago, and started on this even later. None the less, im happy with the design. The rest could use some more time, but w/e
    -----------------------------------------------
    During the 2010's, space traveling began focusing on self sufficiency on the stations. At the same time, the people cried out for a human on Mars. The anwser was the space station "Ibis II" which was entered orbit around Mars in 2026. It was supplied by nuclear and solar power, capable of suplying the station for atleast 15 years without refilling. The greenhouses suplied both food, and clean air. Fuel was gathered from mars in the form of natural gasse, and the ice cape provided new water. Regular supplies from Earth was however still needed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bit rushed too, no problem if it's not going to the poll - the topic was just too good, looking forward to the next one!

This is not for you.

FBRCCN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Welcome to Gargantua 11, Mars Orbital Space Station. After the first 10 Gargantuas crashed into Earth, VB Industries was persuaded by the Earth government to build something to 'orbit' Mars."

Assumptions about Gargantua 11:

Materials and energy sources are the same as present day, only stronger and more efficient (ie no fusion).

No artificial gravity and humans need to rotate at ~2rpms or less to avoid discomfort during prolonged periods.

Single Stage to Orbit reusable craft will become an efficient means of putting things in space.

Last edited by Majenkus; April 16th, 2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: wording

In a box ruled by the evil wacom overlord
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey All By the way this was a great topic and I hope theres gonna be more like this one.

The BAGG orbital station has a rather unconventional use, Instead of acting as a home and workplace for scientists and astronauts it is more readily used as a receiving station for personal and equiment from earth, they will then transfer down to Mars itself to live in the planetary base.
    The main problem with an Orbital station so far away from earth is the need for water, food and oxygen.
    The price to constantly fly resources to the space station is extremely costly and so it would be more feasible and efficient to create a self sustaining planetary base and have the orbital staion as a checkpoint.
    The space station contains living quarters for when personel are arriving or leaving. It also stores energy using the huge solar panels and also acts as a satilite for infomation being sent to or from earth.
    Name:  IDW - Mars space station jpeg.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  268.9 KB

SKETCHBOOK

----DESKTOPS THREAD----
    : Share your desktops and wallpapers :

"THE HOLES ARE FOR MY EYES"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,883 Times in 425 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My first IDW. How exciting it is.

The year is 2035, and we've established our second international space station orbiting mars. The station is run under nuclear power for the time being, but scientists in the two labs are competing to complete the first cold fusion powered space station. Here we see the station after it's completion in 2033.

Last edited by scorge; April 16th, 2009 at 12:49 AM. Reason: I had some more time, so i took advantage.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As usual, some notes on this round:

Good to see some people tackling this topic. I wasn't sure if it was a bit too scientific a topic for most, but there's some nice entries this time around I think.

Again, sorry for putting up the poll this late, I wasn't planning on it but life got in the way this week. Next week will be more punctual, I promise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yoitisi, hey, its been a while since I last came around here, since the asteroid miner project, but damn...what happened here?!? I finally got a friend to tackle IDW from now on, so I'll be participating once again with this. But what happened people? Where's the ingenuity and design?

With that said, I voted for Hallo, straightforward and not too far out in presenting the idea of the future. Great heliocentric design and overall thematic setup.

I can't wait to get back into this and for the next theme. Just to assure you, yoitisi, there are people that still believe in this thread...keep the topics coming.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to f1guremeout For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Majenkis. I liked the idea that it had all the necessary or defined items to make a station, but still kinda....put/thrown together as necessary.

Devilminer, l liked the design, kinda menacing, but in comparison to the size of the shuttle, tis awful small to do all the things it would need.

Rabies, kinda looks just thrown together as a sketch, and unfinished as a painting.

Hallo- the idea is good, but there is no detail to what anything is and its very general in its design.

Bagg, it was ok, no real detail, presentation kinda bland compared to some of the others.

Scorg. I would have voted on this next, and like majenkis, I liked the hodge poge of this and thas all over. However, its soooo condensed, I mean if you look at the shuttle, if you wanted to dock another, you couldnt, they are right on top of each other and then again, on top of the solar arrays. all combined, there is no menauvering room around the station. some of this could be the angles drawn and stuff, but its just how it comes across to me.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dragonspit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by f1guremeout View Post
    but damn...what happened here?!? I finally got a friend to tackle IDW from now on, so I'll be participating once again with this. But what happened people? Where's the ingenuity and design?
    Hey mate, there's a difference between constructive criticism and being discouraging. Not all of us have the benefit of a design background and we're still trying to figure things out and the fact that were trying to do that here means that maybe we believe too. I look forward to seeing some more of your work, your references for IDW99 point to something really unique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Majenkus View Post
    Hey mate, there's a difference between constructive criticism and being discouraging.
    f1guremeout: I have to agree with Majenkus here, I don't mind people speaking their mind as long as they respect each other, but some more constructive comments to go with such a statement would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Majenkus' station, just a slight more oomph than Hallo's design. If Hallo had provided us more detail and gone away with just a silhouette, it would have been a toss up for me! Majenkus' station is beautifully designed, very practical, and makes a lot of sense. It has plenty of room for maneuverability, which I'm sure is a high priority when you have the only shuttle capable of sending you back to earth! Nice job guys, and thanks for the comments earlier on my freaky design. I learned a lot.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devilminer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work guys, I see alot of thought went into the designs here. I voted for Majenkus' piece, it looked the most plausible IMO.

You can work now and play later, or play now and work later.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to timothee For This Useful Post:

In a box ruled by the evil wacom overlord
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all some
    Some really great designs here, oh and thanks Dragonspit for the crit. I think next time i'm gonna make it a lot more interesting.
    I had to vote for hallo, mainly because his design seemed to stand out to me in not only his presentation but also for the fact that it seemed very plausible and a well layed out structure.
    Anyways good luck and congrats to the who ever succeeds

SKETCHBOOK

----DESKTOPS THREAD----
    : Share your desktops and wallpapers :

"THE HOLES ARE FOR MY EYES"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for making this activity available, to everyone who took the time to make something, and to everyone who takes the time to vote. I'll try to give some feedback, but general aesthetics are about as far as I can go.

devilminer - great atmosphere. The station and the shuttle look like they are from different universes.

Dragonspit - There are some interesting details and I'm not sure how to describe it, but everything seems to point my attention to the middle of the station (I think that's sweet ).The tilt is a little extreme and a disorienting.

Rabies - The image is pretty flat. If you play around with value and saturation you can give things a little more depth and draw the viewers eye where you want it to go.

hallo - The sillhouette is a double edged sword: it creates an interesting scene but cuts out a lot of information.

Majenkus - It looks like you used hot dogs and disco lights as inspiration. Needs more excitement/appealing elements in the design. Also, the lights contradict the intended sense of scale. The material indication could be clearer.

Bagg - I like that I understand at first glance how this thing got into space. The lines on the solar array could be more crisp and maybe a different color background could create some contrast for the station.

Scorge - Good depth and materials. Australians in space? You must be crazy. Some of the shapes/edges look soft.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Majenkus For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.