Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Please Critique -**• UPDATED With WIP Color •**

After posting a few other pieces to get critiques and feed back, im am being reminded of old rules that I have not used in a long time.

This piece is a result of a couple of them.. i feel this is much better tan my previous post although it is a WIP, I wanted to make sure i had a good line art version and some feed back before I dive into painting and multiple angles to mock a concept modeler piece.

PLEASE.. critique this has been more helpful than anything..
    Last edited by darklogik; April 19th, 2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: UPDATED
    Destiny is re-written daily. ~

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Oh Yeah!

The reason you can see a partial outline of the eyes is for placement, they will have a glow behind the hood at finish..

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks
    He looks pretty solid except for those rubber fingers .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MiniGoth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

yes

Yes, I think i need to work on hardening and thickening the 2 frontal fingers and widening the hips a little more.

Yes?

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks

crit

I assume a lot of choices like proportions and such are stylistic, so I won't say anything about that.

You have too many "folds" on his pencil skirt. As a general rule of drawing, simplify areas you don't understand. You're less likely to get called out for lack of detail than you are for getting a detail wrong.

The red is the general direction and tension of where folds would likely be. More than this is going to look awkward and forced probably, unless you add fabric to the width of his skirt.

Secondly, I doodled an example of a more dynamic but similar pose. He's not dramatic enough in your drawing; he kind of looks stiff, especially in the hips and upper thighs, like he needs to go to the bathroom. I've spread his legs out wider, pushed out his chest and tilted his head down.

Good luck and keep drawing!

f.
    "I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward" - Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Stockton For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Frank..

Although the piece is styled, please crit anatomy as well, this way I may see what areas of my style may need to be adjusted to have a more realistic feel.

I will play with the perspective you attached and focus more on the character then worry about matching the background angle.

Everyone please continue to critique, and will be post a newer version asap.

Thanks
    Joey

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks

Adjusted

Here I adjusted mine and re–sketched by Franks suggestion. After seeing my adjustments to the original, which would you run with? Ideas. Please ALL feed back is welcome.

Joey

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks
    The legs are incredibly long compared to the upper torso.

His left leg is not correct anatomically, some reference will sort that out.

I suggest taking a photo of yourself doing the pose and using that.

The neck also needs addressing.

The idea is a nice one, and using franks nice pose, this could come out looking great, just get referencing.

Cheers

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Evil_Clown For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Round 2 adjustments

Ok, I took all that has been said and went back to some old school lessons again..(can't believe what you can forget after 10 years).

Right Side will be the new Direction Ill be going with I am Rather happy with the sketch... Please More Feed Back!!!

Thanks Guys

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks
    Looking better and better. The pose is more dynamic and fluid than the first, and the head position looks improved in the 3rd. You've also managed to correct the oddly bent middle finger on his right hand (picture left), but his pinky is in an odd angle on his left hand (picture right).

His left leg (picture right), is still distracting via the disproportionally long upper leg however. Use the lasso tool in PS to move the knee up a bit and see how you feel about it.

Thanks
    I agree. The legs look a little to close together, and as a result the pose ends up being too stiff. This guy is flexing outwards, so his limbs shouldn't be bunched up near his body. Some sharply angled joints might work as well, such as the almost 90-degree wrist in Frank's suggested pose. In terms of design, it's pretty cool, methinks. I like how you used detail to attract attention to the upper body, and the overall character of it.

Thanks

Round 3 ---

Got the position to where I liked it. adjusted the arms a little bit but do want them a little closer to the body and ridged as he will be engulfing his hands in a fire type plasma.

This is my first attempt at loose digital values, so I stayed with B/W to learn =P

PLease give me values and style critique, I have been up close too much I guess cause it kinda looks like poo, but maybe not. It looks pretty good at this size.

The heavy small details have not been started yet to bring this out until I get some feed back.

Also need to know what level I need to get this to if it were a professional concept piece for the gaming industry.

Thanks Again!!

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Thanks
    Here's a few adjustments i think might be worth looking into. I noticed the head was painted a little too low so I moved it up a bit and ended up losing the 'looking down' gesture. Might want to look into that if you're dead set on the original pose.

Keep it up mate ^^

Please Critique -**• UPDATED With WIP Color •**

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Senji For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like the sketch in #7 better than in #9. More dynamic pose (but the upper body anatomy is better). Also, all those details in the leg muscles are unnecessary and distracting.

When working with anatomy, it's always better to SIMPLIFY as much as possible and focus on refining the silhouette shape.

With regard to designing a "fit" character:

1) focus on the silhouette shape of the limbs
    2) focus on the 3d shape of the limbs. What this means is instead of putting more muscles in, use wardrobe or shadows/lighting to describe the shape. Lines in the middle of the form like you've used here are more like the cherry on top of the cupcake, but without the frosting there's nothing for it to stick to.

f.
    Last edited by Frank Stockton; April 16th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.
    "I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward" - Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Stockton For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Tweaked and Light Color

Tweaked to adjustments, and did a fast color overlay for reference of separation.

Please review again... I am enjoying the critiques and trying to accommodate
    as close as possible.

Thanks

CA-Sketchbook•
    DVnt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast