Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Intuos4 vs Intuos3 nib question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Intuos4 vs Intuos3 nib question

I've been looking into getting an Intuos4 (still working off of an [ab]used Wacom Graphire) and something I've seen in the reviews that concerns me is the increased nib wear.

The Intuos4 comes with 4 different kinds of nibs:
    5 "standard"
    3 "felt"
    1 "flex"
    1 "stroke"

My question is do all of these nibs wear out faster than the Intuos3's? or is it just the Felt ones?
    And which of the Intuos4's nibs is more like the Intuos3's default nib?

I've had my Graphire for years and years and never replaced the nib once, and I've heard similar testimonies for the Intuos3.
    I'd rather get a tablet that's a step behind the times instead of something designed to make me buy new nibs every five minutes, you know?

I've also heard conflicting reviews about the surface, is it rougher or the same as the Intuos3?

thanks for any help!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [prophet] View Post
    I've been looking into getting an Intuos4 (still working off of an [ab]used Wacom Graphire) and something I've seen in the reviews that concerns me is the increased nib wear.

The Intuos4 comes with 4 different kinds of nibs:
    5 "standard"
    3 "felt"
    1 "flex"
    1 "stroke"

My question is do all of these nibs wear out faster than the Intuos3's? or is it just the Felt ones?
    And which of the Intuos4's nibs is more like the Intuos3's default nib?

I've had my Graphire for years and years and never replaced the nib once, and I've heard similar testimonies for the Intuos3.
    I'd rather get a tablet that's a step behind the times instead of something designed to make me buy new nibs every five minutes, you know?

I've also heard conflicting reviews about the surface, is it rougher or the same as the Intuos3?

thanks for any help!

It's rougher than the intuos3, but it's not noticeable if you slide your hand over. What I understand it's basically some of the functions of the Bamboo (detachable cord, surface and black nibs) and integrated with intuos4 tech.

The Standard Black nibs are basically the standard white nibs. However, for some reason when using the white nibs, I get that odd "tailtip" when inking. Like the stroke has a "tick" at the beginning. I'll have to play around a bit more to find out. I have a lot of extra nibs I've acquired over owning a lot of intuos previously XD.

The Stroke nib is the one with the spring, these also wear down fairly quickly. I just did a drawing project and noticed it made an angled chiseled point in a day from actual use (I mean like doing a project that will take hours). Not good.

There is one new nib which is the "Flex" it looks like a "Q-tip"

The other nibs came in more or less the same as the intuos3 ones given to you.

Now, what could be done is that wacom can release a frictionless sheet, because at the same time, they've released friction sheets for the intuos3. So basically gotta wait for more parts and accessories for the intuos4.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the knowledge Arshes! and let me know how the older Intuos nib models hold up for you if you can get them to behave.

I really enjoy the slippery plastic on plastic feel, would I be giving that up on the Intuos4? I think I've seen in other threads people say it feels more realistic, like drawing on paper.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [prophet] View Post
    I really enjoy the slippery plastic on plastic feel, would I be giving that up on the Intuos4? I think I've seen in other threads people say it feels more realistic, like drawing on paper.
    It does feel more realistic. I find it helpful actually. It's because of that surface that causes the wear, but like I said I wouldn't be surprised if Wacom produces a generic overlay and the friction versions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Aren't there widescreen format intuos 3s?
    You could buy those friction sheets and use them on intuos 4.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    Aren't there widescreen format intuos 3s?
    You could buy those friction sheets and use them on intuos 4.
    Yes, but I'm not sure the active area is the same size. I believe they might actually be smaller. I don't want to get into cutting the sheets my tablet is not ghetto enough for that Oh and forgot the Intuos4 Large I don't believe had a widescreen equivalent in that sense. The 9x12 was for a 4:3 ratio.

Thanks
    I just received an Intuos 4 a week ago, and after a week of daily use with a standard nib, it is indeed already wearing down.

Overall, however, I consider the tablet a definite improvement from my Intuos 2. The new tablet feels much more like drawing on paper (instead the slippery plastic-on-plastic my Intuos 2 had), and I've needed a new wide-screen aspect tablet to match my monitor for some time.

For me, it was a no-brainier, anyway. I had to purchase a new Photoshop license, and getting the Large tablet + Photoshop was only $50 more than Photoshop alone. I'm very, very happy with it.. even if I can tell already nibs are going to need occasional replacement.

Oh, for people that only have so many USB ports and choose to use the Wacom mouse... movement is now in relation to the mouse orientation, instead of the tablet! (Maybe Intuos 3 did this as well, but it was a nice surprise!)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XanaChama View Post
    Already went through one felt nib. And I saw significant wear on the black nib. It's too bad too, I love the felt nibs.
    Fortunately, you can order those: https://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/Intuos_C65.cfm

I'm hoping they come out with the pen accessory kits and overlays soon like the Intuos3 had.

Thanks
    It's exactly the same texture as the bamboo fun's, which is a shame. I just sold a bamboo fun medium to buy an intuos4 small b/c I hated the surface, and got the same one. I also have an intuos3 6x8, that I have to return to school and I actually like that one more.

My plan is to buy an intuos3 surface sheet ($14.95+ s/h) that is a size bigger and cut it to fit. I'm not sure how well I'll be able to do that with an exacto, especialy the beveled edges.

I have my sensitivity bumped up almost all the way. I've been working on a painting for a few hours tonight and I can already see wearing on the nib. They need to make replacement surfaces soon!

Thanks
    An e-mail I received back quite quickly from Wacom:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for sending in the email and voicing your dissatisfaction of the surface sheet on the Intuos4 tablet. If you use the standard plastic nib, you should not go through them very fast. Try adjusting the settings to a softer tip feel. Wacom does not have any plans at this time to change the surface sheet on the Intuos4, but I will pass along your email to our product managers.

You can also go to your local craft / art supply store and get “Mylar” paper and cut to fit your tablet. Use double sided sticky tape along the top to hold it down to the tablet.

We are sorry to hear you are not happy with the tablet surface sheet.

Regards,

Sherry

Thanks
    I only use the stroke nib and it has lasted for 2 years without needing to be replaced. 8 hours a day. I work on soft to medium pressure on the wacom options. Nibs last longer the softer you have to press.
    Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    Jason, you're missing the point. Your nibs are lasting for years because of the surface you're using.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Interesting... I did have to replace my nib once on my Graphire3. I've own it for 5 years but there was a year or two where I barely touched it. I think it may also have something to do with the pen pressure of the individual, besides the surface/model.

I don't own an intuos4 but looking at photos of it give me a turn on. o__o'
    Blog Thing: http://www.velda.me/
    Twitter Thing: @velderia

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast