Intuos4 vs Intuos3 nib question - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it!
    You helped me a lot with this.

My Sketchbook | My blog

Only lawyers and painters can turn white to black. ~japanese proverb
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I ordered an Intuos3 surface sheet for my Intuos4. I will post results here. Should arrive here on Monday. I'm using laminated photo paper at the moment but the nibs only last maybe 2-3 times as long. Not a good long term solution.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far it's looking very good. It's a good fit without any modification, just not sure if I should use double-sided or one-sided tape. The tape that's already on the surface is on only the upper side so I'm not gonna use it (it's sealed off).

Since the nibs are made of the same materials in i3 and i4, this should set an end to nib wear. Yay!

The price is a bit high for what basically amounts to a sheet of plastic but I would recommend this method as a simple solution to the nib problems with the i4. I've tried other plastic sheets, photo paper, transparent paper etc. but they weren't really a good long-term solution (nibs still wear, just slower). This i3 sheet should do it.

I'm using the i3 sheet on top of the i4 sheet. You could also take out the i4 and cut the i3 to size but that seems unnecessary to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo!

I have my intous4 for 12 days now. My regular tip (the black one) is starting to change, it has became flat but it still stands out a few mm so I can draw with it, but it had became flat in an angle, is this bad for the drawing progress?

I just tried all the other pentips /nibs on the i4 and I would compare the tips as following:
    Black nib (5x) (6 including the one that was in my pen already): Like a pencil (a graphite one) on paper.
    White nib (3x, with a bit of texture on it): Feels like those cheap coloring pencils with the inkt. Don't know the right word for it because pencil can mean the graphite ones and the one with the inkt?! This nibs gives a little more friction/resistance.
    Nib with the spring: (1x) Not really special I think, only that it contract a little when it slide's in a little bit.
    Black nib with the white tip: (1x) Feels very smooth I can't compare it to any traditional tool but it just goes very smooth around the surface.

About the surface: I was used to a wacom Bamboo (Fun, white) and this intuos4 has almost the same surface as this bamboo. It is less smooth than the intuos3 but this also gives a more traditional feeling, like working on real paper.

If you are used to a intuos3 I can imagine the big change, but when your used to a bamboo it's just a big improvement

About the design: I think this black design is awesome, the border with the express keys is glossy which is chique, but it also shows all of your fingerprints and soil/spots.
    The express keys are working fine although the touchring is a bit of getting used to.

Hopefully I have helped anyone of you with this short 'review'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me, the best option sounds like purposely wearing down the existing intuos 4 sheet, sounds like the cheapest and most effective method. All the other methods sound expensive for what they are (just plastic) and also messy and ugly (who wants some sheet of plastic "taped" to the surface of their 350 - 500 dollar piece of equipment?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always used a piece of paper over it to draw... Nibs last a little bit longer on my Intuos4.

I've done that since graphire2 days to now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    munchy

Last edited by mulcebar; April 2nd, 2011 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everybody! I'm about to get intuos4 . I never really used any of wacom products before other than a day or two on bamboo I read about surface problems and going to get a maylar sheet just in case but I have a question: will this kind be ok?
    http://www.business-supply.com/mylar...A_product.html

Also I understand that the nibs wear out fast but how fast exactly? I mean... I'm gonna use it about 2-3 times a week for 2-3 h a pop, should I worry about getting extra nibs now or I have 5-6 months before I have to do it?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For me, it's both a joke and outrageous we will:

- 1 spend money on nibs (giving more money to wacom)

- 2 spend money for an alternative solution like buying mylar paper or other plastic sheets or even an Intuos 3 to place on top of the Intuos 4.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Grr View Post
    For me, it's both a joke and outrageous we will:

- 1 spend money on nibs (giving more money to wacom)

- 2 spend money for an alternative solution like buying mylar paper or other plastic sheets or even an Intuos 3 to place on top of the Intuos 4.
    SO WHAT TO DO?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys might wanna try taping a piece of slick mylar or acetate over your intuos 4's if the texture is that extreme.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would've loved to order more nibs online, but bad experiences with my local customs office made me wary about ordering anything now. Guess I'll just have to see if the local Wacom distributors have nib replacements.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something I tried and it works pretty well is to use a very high quality Transparency sheet (The one used for lamp projectors) OR a very thin glass/Acrylic sheet. The idea is to remove friction as much as possible.

Considering the cost of wacom equipment they should fit the nib tips with jewels to avoid plastic wear. .

I guess the wearing out has to happen on one side anyway. If not the nib than the surface. In old Tablets the surface wore out more than nib, in new Tablets its the other way around.

Its very surprising and annoying to see such a big manufacturer do stuff like this. I mean, how hard is to fit the surface with removable glass surface so user can adjust to required feel.

Last edited by NajamQ; January 20th, 2011 at 01:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BTW, can Intuos3 nibs be used for Intuos4 pens?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jie Kageshinzo View Post
    BTW, can Intuos3 nibs be used for Intuos4 pens?
    You might want to re-read the thread It was answered

Yes, because the nibs wacom uses pretty much are for all stylus save the art pens.

Meaning you can even use graphire nibs or bamboo ones in an intuos/cintiq stylus.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aheheh, sorry Arshes. Posted that near the end of my work and 'twas a really tiring day.

Thanks for the reply though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All,

Just joined in order to post a reply to this thread.. I had been borrowing an i3 tablet from a loved one to test the size (medium versus an i2 large that was too big) and decided to go for the i4 wireless (which is the same size as the regular i4 medium).

The tablet came, I immediately hated the feel of the tablet. Too rough for my work. I do cell painting type of stuff that requires filling in large areas with solid color, mostly. Anyway, I had some very, very, very fine sandpaper suitable for finishing and polishing metal. This stuff has no number and is finer than 1000 grade. I taped off the sides to avoid damaging the finish around the drawing surface and spent about 3 minutes or so gently working in a circular pattern. This worked perfectly.. It pretty much replicated the look of the tablet in the photo earlier in the thread, but no patience was required.

Just FYI. Oh, also, if anyone is considering the wireless i4 tablet, I say: DO IT! It is great. You would never know you weren't on a wired tablet except, of course, no wires! (yay!) The battery life seems very good and you can use it wired if it runs out. It comes with a very pleasant, long thin usb cable. Very worth it - only about $30 or so more than the wired.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been back and forth about getting a 3 or 4 for this reason. I love all the features on the 4, but I find it ridiculous that you have to shell out on extra nibs and screw with flipping or covering the overlay surface with something more slippery so it doesn't wear the nibs. And Wacom themselves are making these suggestions to customers?? That's absurd! How about you fix your product. Most people who buy these things are professionals and use them day in and day out and need them to last. I might just say screw it and get the 3 if for nothing else to hold me over until they show if they fix these issues with the Intuos5.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all I would like to appreciate everyone who shared all the opinions about Intuos 4 and 3. It's such a useful thread and I'm so happy I've a chance to read it.

For me I've heard about how Intuos 3's nibs are quite last longer than Intuos 4's.
    But I accidentally decided to buy Intuos 4 since it has just come out, and
    I remember that first time I've used I felt dislike how scratchy feeling when I draw. Although it's actually similar to draw on a paper, it makes me scared to put pressure on it. Even if I've been trying to use it slightly, the surface is coming out and looking old very quick. As well as the nibs, and I've to concern when I draw try to rotate it around for avoid sharp cut. It's almost 3-4 years, I've changed the nibs about 6 of them.
    But after I've read about the ways to solve this problem, I will follow guidelines.
    Thank you very much!

Btw, I decided to get Intuos 3 and I can't wait to try it soon. ^^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1