Thanks

What program X does that program Y don't

Curious to find out why exactly the pros would recommend having both Photoshop and Painter:

What exactly does the one program do that the other don't, that is as far as features goes that actually gets used by the digital artist?

And other apps, what do they lack for you that makes them just short of being awesome?
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Painter is more of a traditional experience as far as mixing colors, using traditional mediums in a digital workspace and applying paper textures. Photoshop is more of the plethora of true digital art in that most of the things you do in it can't be done using traditional mediums, such as editing through transformations, digital opaque brushes, far superior color editing tools and (in my opinion) it's a little more user-friendly than painter. You want both because both are extremely good at what they do and neither can fully replace the other.

I'm not saying that you can't be a good artist if you don't have both. Android's Painter paintings and Jason Chan's Photoshop paintings are both amazing, just done in different ways.

Thanks
    I see painter has the digital transformation tools set in it's layer options.

And FX Plugin type brushes can perform any digital transformation PS can.

Thanks
    Painter is good for painting traditionally like on a digital platform

Photoshop is good for Photo/image editing

Thanks
    Photoshop has really good selection tools with the "quick selection" and "magic wand." Photoshop also has the polygonal marquee tool which is helpful for working edging while painting. I think Photoshop's filters and image adjustments are better and more comprehensive. Painter has a really sweet color wheel selector thing , blenders, and incredible painting tools. Of course all of this is subjective, but personally I like creating stuff in Painter more. If I could get a quick selection tool and polygonal lasso in Painter I would crap on myself.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Majenkus View Post
    If I could get a quick selection tool and polygonal lasso in Painter I would crap on myself.
    Painter 11 has a Polygonal Lasso and an improved Transformation menu. I don't know whether that's enough for you to crap on yourself, however.

Thanks
    Hmm, it usually doesn't take much to release the poo hounds, but the dogs aren't barking. I never used Painter before X. Have I just overlooked it?

Also, it would be awesome if either one had some of the vector tools of Illustrator or Draw (like precise curves, that would set an appointment with the mayor of Brown Town for sure).

So, in short, to answer your question, all programs fall short of being awesome and there's always some little thing that is easier with one over another and you should spend your life, until you die, learning new software. Good luck.

Thanks
    the free transform tool in painter is shit. They could not make the process any more tedious and choppy than what it already is...god I hate having to hold down the black arrow button! WTF why can't I right click any more. Oh and god forbid you use it more than once otherwise the program will crash on you.

That's why I always have photoshop running in the background.
    -------------
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/mikonos[/URL]

Thanks
    I loaded the trial version on my PC after it expired on my laptop, still thinking about it. Corel releases new versions so often you can almost go on trials alone. Hehe!

I must say though that I like the feel of the pencil. Photoshop did not have the same effect on me, the way the tablet responds in painter really feels good and I ended up drawing alot of stuff and studies. Dunno what they are doing, It aint that photoshop has lag or anything, painter's feel is just a little bit more absorbing.

What other apps have this effect?
    I saw vilpu previews on youtube and he's using something where he draws and then just lighten the drawing and then draw over it for the next phase, kinda like erasing construction.

I have never seen the app he uses before. Anyone know what that is?

Also, Is there some Artrage fans in here, I really like to see what you have been up to. The galleries on artrage's site sucks banannas.
    Last edited by George Abraham; May 5th, 2009 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Imagine FX featured an Artrage tutorial, there are a few on youtube.
    Sai Paint is often mentioned as another app to try, however, this is Windows Only.
    Open Canvas is Windows only.

I also liked some of the tools in Manga Studio in terms of sketching and Sketchbook Pro. 2010 I'm still experimenting with.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zaorr View Post
    What other apps have this effect?
    I saw vilpu previews on youtube and he's using something where he draws and then just lighten the drawing and then draw over it for the next phase, kinda like erasing construction.
    You can do that in pretty much any drawing app that can use layers. Draw on a layer, lower the opacity, and draw over the top on another layer.