High School or portfolio?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: High School or portfolio?

Not Pink is offline I swear I'm not who you think I am Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

High School or portfolio?

I have less than 25 days in school of my senior year, the problem is that I have an absolute crap load or make up work to do in that little of a time. Not to mention I will then have exams, and most likely a summer class because I'm missing a credit (had to move in my Junior year, new school, new rules).

So I ask. Is it really worth it? I have 4-5 essays, countless tests and homeworks, plus an additional summer class. Is it worth it to go through all of that when I haven't even applied to a college yet? I'm hoping I can at least get an app into ACCD for the winter semester, which would require me to start burning more oil than Kuwait can sell in a year.

SKETCHBOOK COMING SOON!

I CANT USE CUSTOM PICTURES IN A SIG?! PREPOSTEROUS!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What program of ACCD are you considering? Also straight out of highschool for ACCD, ouch. You've got to be on the level as normal people around 20+ for some majors, i'm not sure all. Show us some of your works, studies, and we'll help you decide!

+Also, if you don't have that much money, raising your GPA and doing your work can offer you more grants, loans, etc..
    , but if you're rich, then nevermind

But note, if you can't do this load of work in highschool, you can't even imagine what students have to do at art center, usually 4 hour sleep a night or none! Homework homework homework.

Not Pink is offline I swear I'm not who you think I am Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm the epitome of middle class so money isn't all that big of a deal, but it still is a major issue.

and when it comes to Loads of work, I have insomnia, so nothing is really a problem for me. I can stay motivated for weeks on a piece of art, it's standard academia work I have a problem with. I love learning, but I can't stand doing busy work about it, I get mostly all A's and B's on tests, but I don't do anything else, prime suspect for my horrible grades.

oh and as for major... well I'm going the stereotypical route of characters or illustration. so illustration or entertainment design. Which isn't going to help me get in any faster.

I also find myself getting more interested in stuff for movies, as in make up and costumes, but mainly more like building sci-fi armor and really built on makeup like aliens, zombies, etc. if you catch my drift. Product design is also something I've been interested in for quite a while.

Last edited by Not Pink; April 13th, 2009 at 03:11 AM.
    SKETCHBOOK COMING SOON!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Pink View Post
    I'm the epitome of middle class so money isn't all that big of a deal, but it still is a major issue.

and when it comes to Loads of work, I have insomnia, so nothing is really a problem for me. I can stay motivated for weeks on a piece of art, it's standard academia work I have a problem with. I love learning, but I can't stand doing busy work about it, I get mostly all A's and B's on tests, but I don't do anything else, prime suspect for my horrible grades.

I heard art center only needs a letter of why your grades are bad, but that needs to be attached to a badass portfolio.. And for entertainment design... Did you look at the blog of what students are doing in there? Its quite intimidating.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    log off the damn internet and get your homework done.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    log off the damn internet and get your homework done.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Agreed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kman. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's not that I'm procrastinating or anything, I was sick for 3 weeks until last week, and last week was spring break so I couldn't even go to school.

it's pretty effing tough to make up 4 weeks of work in less than two weeks, and I'd rather be working on art to get a portfolio ready for an application for the winter entrances.

SKETCHBOOK COMING SOON!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Once you graduate, you'll never have to spend another day working on high school crap again. Crank the midnight oil if you have to, do whatever you need to do to pass, then once you are graduated you'll have all the time in the world to get a bitchin' portfolio together. So do your homework as everyone is saying, pass your classes, then with all the free time after graduation, put your portfolio together.

There's no rush to get in college the second you graduate. I'm not saying to postpone it and spend a few years playing WoW and watching reruns of transformers until you finally get up off your ass and do something with your life (like some random people i've met through my lifetime.) I'm saying you'll have the time you need once you graduate to get in to the art school you want. Semesters in colleges/art schools at most places are every 4 months or so, and if you arent able to get in the same month you graduate, or by the winter semester, who cares? just use those extra few months to hone your skills. The more time you have to work on stuff the better your portfolio will be. Graduate highschool, THEN work on portfolio, THEN go to art school, THEN get ridiculously good, THEN get job in art field of your choosing.

Last edited by ArtZealot; April 14th, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Pink View Post
    it's pretty effing tough to make up 4 weeks of work in less than two weeks, and I'd rather be working on art to get a portfolio ready for an application for the winter entrances.
    It's a lot easier to make up four weeks of high school work in two weeks than it is to put together a decent college application portfolio in two weeks.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the necro-rez but I have some bad, but important news.

I'm not graduating. I tried to keep it up, worked my ass to the bone, got nearly all of my classes back up, but 2 are just still not cutting it. They're fucking "academic elective" credits to. what bullshit.

I still get to walk and all, but I only get an empty container.

So now that I'm out of both a diploma aaaaaand a portfolio in time for winter semester, I'm totally bumfucked for like... ever. I believe a follow-up question is in order:

Summer school to get my credits back and receive a diploma? or non stop working on art?

the only thing keeping me from saying "fuck it, I'm gonna go draw" is that I need 9 months out of the year in school or I lose my insurance, etc. and a diploma would be nice to have on a resume... y'know?

SKETCHBOOK COMING SOON!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Summer school to get credits back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say go for summer school. You have all the time in the world to draw beyond that.

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If it's only two classes this summer, then do that AND draw a ton. What's stopping you?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I get the impression you could really use the direction of a counselor or at least an adult with some perspective. Graduate Highschool. Seriously.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you ever been to summer school? Now I don't know about where you live, but I had to make up a class one year after getting really sick (gee, thanks for not sending my work home AP English teacher -_-), and summer school was so laughably easy people literally brought pillows with them to nap on. Heck, I was one of the kids who ended up doing the majority of work in group activities, and still had time to do other stuff. Met some interesting people too.

So yeah...take the classes, and you'll still have time to work on art.

Ian Miles is offline Leave you message after press enter key. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Graduate highschool, THEN work on portfolio, THEN go to art school, THEN get ridiculously good, THEN get job in art field of your choosing.
    Donīt forget to enjoy the process.

Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Miles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm certain a ton of people here would murder to only have the mild responsibility of two high school summer classes infringing on their drawing time, rather than bills and a full-time day job. Pretending you can't do both the school work and your art is embarrassing. Man up and graduate.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharpe For This Useful Post:

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get your ass to work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn theres some tough love going on here

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.