Sketchbook: Marius has to draw draw draw to improve improve improve UPDATED 15th APRIL

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Marius has to draw draw draw to improve improve improve UPDATED 15th APRIL

So, to sum things up:

Name: Marius

I ended up here because of this mofo, because of what he said in his FAQ over here. I believe his exact words were:
    Go to www.conceptart.org/forums and start up a sketchbook thread in their forum. Let them tear you apart until you feel like crying, and then let them build you back up into someone you never thought you could be.
    So here I am.

Name:  Scannen(2).jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  296.4 KB
    The Man from the Woods.
    Name:  Scannen0001(2).jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  239.5 KB
    The master thief.
    Name:  Scannen0002.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  266.0 KB
    Design for the extraterrestial equivalent of a cow or gazelle. Its skull is sticking out of its head because it functions as an ear for the ultra-low frequencies it emits with the two ear-like "tubes" at either side of its face. It also does not have a mouth, but multiple grapple-like tongues which tear of bits of alien plant and bring that back to the hole from wich the tongue sprouts. The writing under it reads "Janus; Bos Echeai". Janus is the planet, and Bos Echeai is latin for cow from (the plain of) Echeaus.
    Name:  Scannen0003.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  246.6 KB
    Getting in a Clive Barker's Jericho mood here.
    Name:  Scannen0004.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  246.4 KB
    I think the guy at the bottom came out pretty good. "Geen zorgen, burger" means "Dont' worry, citizen".
    Name:  Scannen0005.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  298.4 KB
    I superheroe'd a teacher of mine, and the portrait part actually looked like him. Wow.
    Name:  Scannen0006.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  243.7 KB
    Generic mech.
    Name:  Scannen0007.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  289.8 KB
    Birdcage Face, Pyramid Heads less known brother.

Disclaimer: sloppy scanning is due to my lethal scanner, not to me.

Also, can anyone tell me how to scale these things down? They are like 3 times their RL size. :/

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ekonk; April 15th, 2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Changing date
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice work... 16 doesn't seem that young though these days on here, sry!

Good start anyway!

I'd recommend get some anatomy study in, I think your characters will become a lot more believable. I think good ways to go about it is regular practice on www.posemaniacs.com - doing timed poses, I used to do like 2hours a day! ranging from pages of 10sec poses, to 30sec poses and 90sec poses etc. It's great practice to drill the proportions of the human into your head. Eventually you will be able to spot proportions out of place and stuff.

Also learning a practicing from free ebooks like Andrew Loomis - Figure drawing for all it's worth. And the books by George Bridgeman.

I'd definitely think about your line quality for your pencils, think about using different line thickness for different contours. Also accenuate line where you want the viewer to look. So, if you're drawing a face, make all the details, and contrast around the eyes, use softer lines in places where people don't need to look. Also, a popular style is thick heavier lines around the outside edges of your figure, and softer thinner lines on the inside details.

Good practice is drawing things from real life, tbh I am a noob, I've only been drawing 4months. But when I started I drew about 300 drawing from realy life in a few weeks. I think this was the best start I could take!

It's nice you're enthusiastic so young, wish I was! But remember if you want to get into the best art school you don't have THAT long to get very very good, so practice practice and you'll be cool then I dunno even if you want to go to art school lol.

Well anyway GL with your Art I hope it brings you joy throughout your life!

To answer your image size question, if you have photoshop or even photoshop elements or whatever. Import your scans, then go Image > Image Size and change the resolution. Other than that I can't help sry cos I suck at computers!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexTooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA

AlexTooth just wrote a lot of what i was going to wright soo yea... life drawing is definitely a good way to practice - you could take a look around you local community and see if there are any classes. Ill be looking for some myself soon when the summer holiday start.

and remember regular updates so we can follow you progress!

My sketchbook:
    Fumble

My brothers sketchbook:
    Braintree

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks you two.

@Alextooth: massive thanks for that awesome link, posemaniacs. That is maybe the single most useful site I've ever seen. And I indeed intend to go to art school, in fact I've already been there for a short workshop that was intended to show how that particular subject would be presented in class, and we had to get these easles (is that even a word?) and draw someone doing something random in 30 seconds. While doing that I realized how useful it was but I never did it afterwards because there simply are hardly any models to find in daily life. So this site is indeed awesome.

@Fumble: I'll update every possible day.

asks humbly for your opinion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Righto, update.

45 seconds figure studies

Name:  Scannen0014.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  212.2 KBName:  Scannen0018.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  214.2 KB

Portraits from family members, respectively my granddad, uncle, and cousin.

Name:  Scannen0016.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  208.6 KBName:  Scannen0017.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  187.9 KB

And last but not least, a hunter from Half-Life 2 Episode 2. No reference, but I think I captured the vicious alien intelligence pretty well.

Name:  Scannen0015.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  220.5 KB

Also, does anyone know how to get the thumbnail displayed at the front of the thread to change into one of choice? Because the current one really sucks balls. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good figure studies ^^
    The portraits are good but a bit short.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, small but colourful update today.

Name:  Questionable copy.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  392.2 KB

I'm entering DeviantART's contest about good versus evil. I mean, have you seen those prizes?

I'm going for a cartoony look here. And I switched the signature black and white things around.

So the idea here is that the angel (wings will be added later) is or is about to slaughter the defenceless, scared hordes of hell. The question this is supposed to raise is: "Who is the evil one here?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all you should try to draw from life. I've always recommended drawing matchboxes Its great and very basic exercise in drawing 3d objects.

copying old masters are also a great way to improve your skills

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update! Yesterday I was at school ALL FREAKING DAY, so when I came home I instantly put myself in front of the tv and started producing drool instead of scanning my sketches.

So here they are anyway.

-what the..?-fucking-attachement-manager- wait... - hold on a sec - damn thing somehow crashes all the time -

FIRST: OLD SNAKE - a commission by a friend.
    Name:  sketch0.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  249.1 KB

SECONDLY: LIVE PARK ANIMAL STUDIES - disclaimer: some animals refused to sit still for more than five FUCKING seconds, so studies may be wildly incorrect.
    Name:  sketch3.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  212.0 KB

AND LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST: SOME LOVECRAFTY GOODNESS FOR YOU ALL.
    Name:  sketch1.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  351.9 KBName:  sketch2.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  240.9 KBName:  sketch4.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  226.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some really interesting ideas here. And I love the guy's expression in the colored piece. The animal studies looking good too.

I think to change the thumbnail you just upload a new image into the first post with the attachment manager.

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dag vriend! I think you are developing a good style with that pencil, i like the lines you are using. And the figures have some personality for sure!

Success met alles!

Members who have read this thread: 3