Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Big jump for Amatuer

Thanks
    Okay I've done a bit more on this. Given the dude a face, and started on the vamp babes hair. So am I going in the right direction with her hair?
    DC, yep, I*'ve checked out some hair, books and 'net. Let me know how you think I'm fairing with her hair now. I also have tried to give it a better realistic touch as it flows down her back. The warrior I'll do more work on as soon as I find what I want for the background, that'll give me the incentive to get into it and finish it off.
    Tutor, mate you have more valuable knowledge than you giver yourself credit, otherwisw how could you turn out such great stuff as your knight lady on the horse, and my favorite wall hanging Thanks for the best wishes on my health, I'm feeling heaps better today - must be the antibiotics.
    Laxon, thanks. yep I'm working hard on varying my contrasts. I practise stuff from a couple of Giavanni Civardi books that darkchild put me onto to. I'vee only got into sketching twelve monhs ago, but I can see a lot of improvement in my rendering, and a long long way to go. Thanks for visiting.
    Please check my SB and crit, I need help.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=155203
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ok I hope you don't mind the following, but I took the liberty of doing a paintover. This is the quickest way I can think of showing you what I meant by my previous post. It wasn't how the hair rendered so much as the structure of the hair defying laws of science. I'll touch upon the rendering of the hair another time, for now, one thing at a time Please let me know if you want this image removed from your thread.

Attachment 740556
    !darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

4. The Following User Says Thank You to darkchild For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jason, thanks, it's all good. leave it there, others may learn from it too. Thanks for doing that, I know it takes you away from your own art, and I appreciate it. I'm very short on time this week, so whats new, but I quickly changed the hair, to how i think it should look/fall. I actually have a girl at work with long hair, and convinced her to take it out of her ponytail, so I could see how it looked. it's not quite as long as my vampire lady, but long enough to get a good idea.

Thanks
    Well look at you! Page 5!

The hair looks a lot more natural! No worries that paintover took me but a second to do and I'm happy to do it if it helps you out. I think it took longer for me to boot up the CS3 program. I wanted to work more on my project but I had to fix a toilet... lord I hate plumbing! Took me several tries to stop the leaking after I got the new parts in. Anyways great work! I'll be looking forward to more of your progress!
    !darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks

more wip

Basically all I've done here is worked on her hair. Not real happy with the result, but it is better than it was. Crits welcome please.
    Jason, it mightn't have taken long, but thanks anyway, because you still took the time to check it out and comment. I've got a devilly looking face I might stick up in the top left corner to fill in the space, not sure, haven't really decided yet. I'll do a bit more on her and her hair before I quit. The zombie dude, I think I'll leave as is, as she the centre piece, and I don't want to direct attention away from her. Page 5, yep, but a lot of WIP repeats. Until next time......

Thanks
    You should leave that space empty up top. You're a photographer and you know of the rule of thirds Your art has dominated the lower half of the page gotta leave a little something empty for balance. Besides you don't always have to put something into the background. Look at some of you pinup art books, some of those ladies are just sitting on a chair against a white background or a halo of color just around the subject. If you are to put a background in it's beneficial to do some pre-planning first via thumbnail sketches. That way you don't mess up the page trying to decide what to draw in. When you make it up as you go there could be unecessary erasing which leads to the paper being unuseable. Once you have the thumbnail done on a scrap piece of paper its just a matter of copying over the idea to the finished page.

For the hair hair I suggest picking up some darker graphite (ie, softer graphite). Well, before I go further what type of pencil are you using? Is it a regular No. 2 (HB)? If so then find yourself a 2B and up and lightly lay in some darker strands but leave some areas lighter for highlights. It's the highlights that give the hair a believable quality. Make sure you pick a light source and make it consistent to the rest of your drawing.

I wouldn't think much of repeating WIP posts, afterall this is a sketchbook and not the Finished Section of the forum. Everyone is in this section is learning from eachother and just posting anything just like a real sketchbook, there are no rules. The bigger picture is that you're applying yourself to your work Post your repeats as much as you want sir!
    !darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks

OPP'S too late mate

Today was agricultural day holiday. So I took the opportunity to do a bit on my vampire lady and a rough sketch of maybe my next piece, no prizes for what she is
    DC I did some more on her hair today, you think it needs more? Yeah I know the rule of thirds, but I'm afraid I broke it this time. I saw that dude, and he just seemed to fit the theme.
    Pencils, in the B range, I use everything from B to 8B, and sometimes (rarely), because they're too hard, H. Thanks for the crits, let me know what you think about the hair. Until next time...............

Thanks
    Nice update, looking pretty good to me, I'll be back to see future updates

Thanks
    Yes you mainly want H pencils for light outlining and move your way to the B's for the final tones. I do like that you have a faded tone below everything. Kind of makes it like a cover or a poster. That's a pretty cool head in the corner but as of this moment it looks a bit out of place, maybe when you add more to the background it will make it more even. Overall I think you did a great job on this piece. It's time well spent!
    !darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to darkchild For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The Man With No Name, thanks for dropping by and the kind words.
    DC, I basically only use the H pencils for initial fine detail work, then if I'm happy, I go on with B's. I find it less messy if you have to use an eraser to make changes.Yeap, I'm looking for something small and vampirish to finish off the background, and I still have work to do on hher hair. Thanks.
    Update on WIP Mermaid.

Thanks
    Nice shading on mermaid. I like that you paid attention to the scales and added those in. Very nice. The hair is very believable and gives me a sense that she's underwater. No real crits this time, I'm just interested in seeing which direction you take this piece
    !darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks DC. Direction at the moment is a major problem, I don't seem to be able to sake this bug I picked up, it's making me sick as a dog and effecting my progress hugely. I don't feel like drawing, and what I do looks like shit. More blood tests turned up nothing. At the moment if I wake up and I'm breathing, it's a good day. But I WILL do a bit here and there, I refuse to let the freaking thing get me down completely.Tell me about my mermaid

Thanks
    This is a just for the hell of it fun thing I started when I was home sick on the couch. Might paint it. I like some of the fun things you can do with Anime, haven't been near it in months.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast